Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
They could write in the plan that it should only cost thirty cents- reality is a different story. I do this stuff for a living, and can tell you that $40-50 million wouldn't come close to doing what they've drawn.
that's why i was surprised at the $10 million number for doing the bridges. they must not be doing a whole lot to them, if that's supposed to pay for five bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
I think it's good business sense that you want more of those 300,000 passerby motorists to slow down, take an exit, and spend more time in the city. I say screw the Federal Highway Standards of drabness that make this country so ugly. If motorists don't want to slow down a little then they should take i-285.
what standards are you talking about? fyi, if the highways don't meet the standards, the state doesn't get funding, so the project doesn't get done.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 PM

95 posts, read 186,877 times
Quote:
fyi, if the highways don't meet the standards, the state doesn't get funding, so the project doesn't get done.
That's part of the problem when you have a country based off of entitlements. The states are all entitled to federal funding, but on the flipside the residents suffer because they have to follow federal guidelines, and hence you end up with a bland and monotonous country.

That is why the interstates in Atlanta look the same as in Seattle as far as signage and stuff. This country is way too vast and large for this entitlement system to work.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
That's part of the problem when you have a country based off of entitlements. The states are all entitled to federal funding, but on the flipside the residents suffer because they have to follow federal guidelines, and hence you end up with a bland and monotonous country.

That is why the interstates in Atlanta look the same as in Seattle as far as signage and stuff. This country is way too vast and large for this entitlement system to work.
Hmmm....yes....lets "mix it up a bit" and let every state have their own signage designs. They can change the colors, experiment with some snazzy fonts, maybe even decide whether they really even want to have signs at all- just let the drivers figure it all out on their own- now that would be fun!

While we're at it, lets allow the states to decide on lane widths, striping, etc- I'm sure some state would love to have pink lines that undulate back and forth!

Hell, let's go really crazy and have some states switch it up and have drivers driving on the left side of the road instead of the right! Now that would be fun.....

Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Personally I don't care what an interstate looks like, assuming it's not falling apart, of course. I just want the thing to be well lit AND well signed something the Atlanta metro fails at abysmally. I'm sure the bridges will be lovely, too bad no one can see them. And i definitely prefer uniformity over every man for himself, that would be a total mess.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
well signed something the Atlanta metro fails at abysmally.
The downtown connector has great signage. It displays the next 2-3 exits ahead and marks the lanes that are exit only.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I don't like the look of it, I don't want to pay for it.
You are not paying for it. Money is coming from the self-taxing Midtown and Downtown improvement districts and the DOT money is from what companies pay to list on the food/gas/hotel interstate exit signs.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The downtown connector has great signage. It displays the next 2-3 exits ahead and marks the lanes that are exit only.
Great, then maybe the money could be better spent in the countless other areas that have lousy lighting/signage.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM

95 posts, read 186,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm....yes....lets "mix it up a bit" and let every state have their own signage designs. They can change the colors, experiment with some snazzy fonts, maybe even decide whether they really even want to have signs at all- just let the drivers figure it all out on their own- now that would be fun!

While we're at it, lets allow the states to decide on lane widths, striping, etc- I'm sure some state would love to have pink lines that undulate back and forth!

Hell, let's go really crazy and have some states switch it up and have drivers driving on the left side of the road instead of the right! Now that would be fun.....
Great ideas!

I would like to see big blinking arrows on all the exits, underneath which say which attractions the exit leads to:

------->
PIEMONT PARK

< -----
LENOX MALL

------>
FOX THEATER

Also I would lower the speed limit to 35mph.

Maybe have guide lights like they do in theaters along the side of the exit lane.

And and on major in-town roads light up the street signs! That's actually common! They did that in Tuscaloosa, AL downtown, it's pretty cool!

Another idea: for the lanes that merge onto I-75, have lit-up lane dividers colored in purple . And for the lanes that take you to i-85, have them in yellow. Then have the signs match the corresponding colors. That would be much easier. Even though the signage is fairly decent, I still think that it can be very hard to merge lanes if you are in the wrong lane! Especially when you are going 50-60mph through the connector. If the driver knows which color lane he should be in, he can stay in the same lane from South to North without having to read any signage at all! THen he can focus on the attractions.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Peachtree Street bridge to get enhancements | www.ajc.com

Everything happens in bits and pieces once there is an overall plan in place...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta