U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 19,477 times

Advertisements

To all you seasoned school advisors
I am looking for advice (yes I've already researched using greatschools/schooldigger/etc) on the area's opinion of the following schools:
Abbotts Hill Elementary school which rolls into Chattahoochee High School
and
Crabbapple Crossings Elementary school which would then roll into Milton High School

Are both feeder patterns equitable?
Do you think Milton High School will uphold the same reputation now that the new high school is open?
Will Chattachoochee still uphold with Johns Creek now in full swing? Seems like there is a lot of competition for Northview high acedemically.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,059,807 times
I am going to repeat my post about comparing schools to Northview. Milton High School student body is 4% Asian vs 34% for Northview. The Asian culture differences drive many of the statistics and does not mean that Milton or Chattahochee is any less of a quality education

Chattahoochee HS vs. Northview HS?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:43 PM

15,034 posts, read 24,097,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I am going to repeat my post about comparing schools to Northview. Milton High School student body is 4% Asian vs 34% for Northview. The Asian culture differences drive many of the statistics and does not mean that Milton or Chattahochee is any less of a quality education

Chattahoochee HS vs. Northview HS?

Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 19,477 times
I get the asian point from a bunch of other threads I have been reading. Justing wondering why the asian population is so much more at northview than chattahoochee?
Right now I'm more concerned about the elementary schools at this point. Anyone heard any feed back from either school? There is really nothing out there except greatschools that rates abbotts bridge elementary whereas I can find more websites that talk about crappable crossings....So anyone that has knowledge, please let me know!

Old 07-22-2012, 03:35 PM

13,750 posts, read 22,618,576 times
My neighborhood used to feed into Crabapple Crossing. Although when we moved here, my youngest was already going into middle school, I heard nothing but praise for the elementary school. It has a very active PTA, and a lot of parental involvement, which translates into a lot of extras for the kids. When our neighborhood was redistricted to Summit Hill, many parents protested because they were happy with what they had. But, Summit Hill is also fine.

My children went through Northview MS and Milton HS, and have done extremely well. You really don't have to worry about the schools in Milton, Alpharetta, Roswell or John's Creek. Find the house you want and your children will be fine in any of the towns.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 AM

233 posts, read 493,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmomof2 View Post
I get the asian point from a bunch of other threads I have been reading. Justing wondering why the asian population is so much more at northview than chattahoochee?
Right now I'm more concerned about the elementary schools at this point. Anyone heard any feed back from either school? There is really nothing out there except greatschools that rates abbotts bridge elementary whereas I can find more websites that talk about crappable crossings....So anyone that has knowledge, please let me know!
Let me see if I can help, and do it without coming off racist.

As an Asian myself (but from India, not what most think of as an 'Asian' country... however we learned in grade-school geography that Asia was indeed the continent in which India resides, and as far as I know it hasn't moved), I can easily understand the Asian strength in JC vs Milton.

We live in Milton and love it here... to a point. But when we get out to JC etc, I get quite antsy to live there myself owing to the conveniences that are simply not available to Asians in Milton. We love Oriental food and there is NOTHING close to the selection available in JC, and if you drive just a bit more east, there is Duluth/Norcross in all its Asian (and sometimes seedy but fun) glory. With the result that we are in JC a lot and spend a lot of our money there.

So, years ago, there wasn't that much in JC re Asians. A lot of it was around the Buford Hwy or Jimmy Carter corridor (I was about to abbreviate that latter one to JC, LOL). Then as upscale-ness spread among the Asians, as is its wont, they sought better digs but didn't want to wander too far from familiar territory. The age-old migration story I suppose, on a far smaller scale. Going east wasn't really practical, some went south to Decatur, which pretty much left JC and environs. (Alpharetta to a degree).

Milton is as white-bread as you can get (OK Roswell is far worse culturally, although the marginalized Latino population there tries hard to balance things out -- and more or less fails). Good (read: ethnic) Chinese, Indian or other Asian restaurants have no hope of survival here (as the majority of residents want to eat 'burgers and fries all day long (told you it was gonna get sticky)). What you can get is stuff like PF Chang, Xian, etc. Grocery stores? Meh. When H Mart builds at Crabapple Crossroads I'll eat my words (along with a bunch of bok choy).

I could go on but that's it in a nutshell. I expect a few arguments to some of the above, but be prepared to back them up with facts and a drive around the mentioned areas first.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM

13,750 posts, read 22,618,576 times
Hmmm, I did see bok choy for sale at Kroger this week. The fact is, Asians are nowhere near the majority in Milton, nor Alpharetta. So why would you expect to see an Asian market here? I agree that PF Chang and Xian (especially Xian) are pretty poor substitutes for anybody looking for authentic Asian, but an H Mart would never survive here.

John's Creek does have a much larger Asian population, and the high schools reflect that demographic. But Milton also has an awesome school system. My youngest was not in the top ten of his graduating class, but had his pick of colleges to attend, and has excelled in the honor's program at UGA. The fine education is there for the taking in North Fulton.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,168,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmomof2 View Post
Some of the North Fulton schools are newer, so you will not find many rankings about them yet. I think Johns Creek H.S. is no more than 3 years old, for example. You should visit the individual schools in person to get a better idea. Pretty much all the North Fulton schools are similar academically. Milton is a bit less developed than the rest of North Fulton, however, given time, that will change.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 PM

153 posts, read 353,189 times
We live in the Abbotts Hill feeder zone, as we're new to the area & have two sons who have not yet begun school, I cannot personally tell you our experiences. However, those families who have children attending seem to be very satisfied overall. For us, what we like best about our neighborhood (and Abbotts Hill/Chattahoochee) is that the families represent many cultural backgrounds (could not find this on the Roswell/Milton side of N. Fulton). It's also important to point out that even though education is super important to my neighbors, it's also not cut-throat, you'll see kids interacting and playing outside

Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 PM

233 posts, read 493,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hmmm, I did see bok choy for sale at Kroger this week. The fact is, Asians are nowhere near the majority in Milton, nor Alpharetta. So why would you expect to see an Asian market here? I agree that PF Chang and Xian (especially Xian) are pretty poor substitutes for anybody looking for authentic Asian, but an H Mart would never survive here.

John's Creek does have a much larger Asian population, and the high schools reflect that demographic. But Milton also has an awesome school system. My youngest was not in the top ten of his graduating class, but had his pick of colleges to attend, and has excelled in the honor's program at UGA. The fine education is there for the taking in North Fulton.
All my points exactly. The question I was trying to answer is why does JC have more Asians, not which school is better. That's a pissing contest I'd rather stay away from.

My daughter OTOH was in the top 3 of her class (ok she was third) and GT was her safety school and that's where she signed up after the big Boston schools waitlisted her; she didn't apply to UGA.

BTW if I saw a large Asian market in Milton I'd fall over dead. I don't know what I said that made you think I'd expect that. Maybe 50 years from now. Or maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta