Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Neil, I appreciate that and understood your jibe.

There are a handful of folks on the board who harbor some pretty silly thoughts about the suburbs, but it seems obvious to me that they are not the mainstream. The vast majority of folks in metro Atlanta (both ITP and OTP dwellers) have made intelligent, informed decisions about where to live. People like you and me are pretty typical -- we've lived in a variety of cities and settings, and we're quite capable of weighing the pros and cons. We don't need anybody else's validation for our choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM

180 posts, read 475,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
When you get ready to settle down, don't overlook the fact that most of the city of Atlanta is composed of suburban single family neighborhoods. Many of them are thriving and beautiful, and the schools, shopping and other amenities are outstanding. Plus you get the benefits of an extensive rail system, and easy access to the airport, all the freeways and most arterial roads.

So you can have the best of both worlds if you're interested.

Yes you are right about that. Virginia Highland seems like a real nice place

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And what you seem to miss is the fact that the Atlanta metro is not NYC. In many cities like NYC, the suburbs are bedroom communities; the city is the main business center and where most people need to commute. Here in Atlanta, that's not the case. Major difference in that fact.

Here in Atlanta, many people live and work in the suburbs. The business centers are located outside of the city, in places like Peachtree Corners, Alpharetta, Cumberland, etc. To use your example, if I live in Duluth, I may commute to Alpharetta and do so on Rte 120. I might never go near I-85 or Buford Hwy.

In NYC and other similar cities, to get to the business centers, I have to take the subway or commuter rail into the center of the city. While there are businesses on Long Island and New Jersey, many people in the NYC area work in the city and commute to Manhattan.
yes Atlanta is not NYC, however Atlanta still has a lot of trafffic around the downtown connector. You have been to ATL right? An overwhelmingly percentage of the metro commutes to the inner city. Yes lawrencville, Dunwoody, etc has their own job base but Atlanta is the hub.

The way your saying it is, the suburbs could survive without ATL and that sir is certainly not the case.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Yes you are right about that. Virginia Highland seems like a real nice place
There are scores of fantastic intown neighborhoods. Peachtree Park, Garden Hills, Candler Park, Springlake, Buckhead Forest, Morningside, Chastain, etc., etc.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
An overwhelmingly percentage of the metro commutes to the inner city.
Absolutely false.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...rns_121509.pdf

http://www.cleanaircampaign.org/For-...g#.UA7_T6NFlI0

Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
yes Atlanta is not NYC, however Atlanta still has a lot of trafffic around the downtown connector. You have been to ATL right? An overwhelmingly percentage of the metro commutes to the inner city. Yes lawrencville, Dunwoody, etc has their own job base but Atlanta is the hub.
No, there have been several sets of numbers posted in these forums that show that Atlanta is not the job hub for the metro any longer.

Most suburbanites actually live and work in the suburbs, and more City of Atlanta residents work in the satellite job centers than in the City of Atlanta itself.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM

180 posts, read 475,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
No, there have been several sets of numbers posted in these forums that show that Atlanta is not the job hub for the metro any longer.

Most suburbanites actually live and work in the suburbs, and more City of Atlanta residents work in the satellite job centers than in the City of Atlanta itself.
You both are right, congrats. The suburbs are definitely self sustaining.......

But like I said its good the exurbs are growing. I just wish they would learn from the planning mistakes other places have made and not just grow for the sake of growing.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Quote:

But like I said its good the exurbs are growing.
I just wish they would learn from the planning mistakes other places have made and not just grow for the sake of growing.
Only if they aren't commuting across town all the time. If everyone lived within 15-20 miles of work(except of course people where the couple work further apart then that or people changing jobs in different parts of Atlanta). I work in an office with far too many people who live in Lawrenceville, Rockmart, Jonesboro, Mcdonough, etc. This office isn't downtown either it is in the Cumberland area so everyone should be able to find quality reasonable housing somewhere in Cobb County.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:

But like I said its good the exurbs are growing. I just wish they would learn from the planning mistakes other places have made and not just grow for the sake of growing.
Developers are in the business to make a profit.

Some metro areas and states are able to control this sort of unlimited expansion to some extend using means that Georgia is unwilling to use. Maybe Georgia needs to further explore such alternatives?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Since I'm the one who's been posting these numbers, let me clarify.

The city of Atlanta is not the only job hub for the metro and that has been the case for decades.

However, it is still the largest single job hub in metro Atlanta if you include the core urban area (i.e., Buckhead, Midtown and downtown). It's also the most concentrated job hub, which results in a very large influx of daytime workers into a condensed and well-urbanized area.

So the influence of people commuting into the city (and that doesn't mean just downtown) shouldn't be underestimated. It's just that there are many other significant commuting patterns too.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Developers are in the business to make a profit.
This is true, but it doesn't mean they automactually act with blinders on or that they are doomed to repeat suboptimal development patterns.

For one thing, they are subject to regulation just like anyone else. And many of them, in my experience, also have a civic conscience and a desire to do projects they can be proud of.

Most importantly, though, good development practices are also highly profitable. If you do things that are smart and sustainable, they'll command a higher price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta