Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Unfortunately it's almost impossible to find a progressive candidate in the south, especially since people like Cathy have spent their money, which is also my money to buy our government.
Well, at the risk of going OFF TOPIC! Nothing irks me more than special interest groups and how they persuade our leaders. Lobbyist have no place in Washington, PERIOD. They do not serve the people they serve their special interest groups.. Politicians who bow to special interest groups should be voted out.. of course you would be hard pressed to find one on the ballet but do your homework, find one and vote for them. I know you will feel as though you are throwing your vote away, but your not.. you taking a stand..

Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,701 times
The whole thing is quite ridiculous.

Chick-Fil-A gave its opinion. I respect them for that, and that they aren't into backpeddling and following the immoral ways of modern society.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
My problem with Chick fil A is not that it's run by bigots, I already knew that. My problem with them is that they put their money, which is also my money, into organizations that promote bigotry. I can't eat at CFA for the same reason my kid will never be a Boy Scout I can't support organizations that promote bigotry, and puts their money into it.
Aren't you showing yourself to be bigoted toward Christians and the Bible?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyjo View Post
Absolutely. This is human rights issue. If CFA said that interracial marriage should not be allowed (and 30 years ago many people said that) then would you just say 'Oh well. It doesn't affect me. I love their lemonade. They can say what they like'? If you want to make bigoted statements against a minority % of the population, then you have to accept that a lot of people will no longer visit your restaurants (myself included).
Hey, it's your right to frequent whatever restaurant that you desire. However, making a public spectacle of it all is downright ridiculous.

This is NOT a human rights issue.

For one, homosexuality is abnormal. God calls it an abomination. The Bible refers to it as unnatural. Scientifically, men can't have children with men, just as women can't have children with women. The parts are not made for such, nor is this the design found in nature. If it were normal, you'd see men and men having children, and likewise women with women having children, in the same way that men and women are able to have children. However, that is not the case. Furthermore, if it were normal, you wouldn't see the much higher rates of disease found in the homosexual community.

The fact is, frankly, in my opinion, you are a victim of a secular humanism that has tried to make the perverse into something that is normal. It is not normal. The APA labeled it a mental disorder as recently as the 1970s.

Last edited by Sound of Reason; 07-25-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
If a judge agrees with your view - he's upholding the law. If he disagrees with you, he is an activist judge or legislating from the bench.

If a person agrees with you - they are open minded, tolerant and enlightened. If someone disagrees with you they are close minded, bigoted and intolerent.

What have we come to?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Aren't you showing yourself to be bigoted toward Christians and the Bible?
Nope. I'm not bigoted against Christians or the Bible. I am proudly bigoted against alleged Christians who use their alleged Christianity as a support for their bigotry. The number one tenet of Christianity is love your neighbor as you do yourself. Anyone who claims to be a Christian and supports the marginalization of others is at the very least questionable. I could never be bigoted against Christians. Fortunately there are so few of them about I don't have to worry about them. OTOH, we are overflowing with hypocrites and they get no quarter from me.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM

What other fast food restaurant gives back like Chick-Fil-A does?

What other fast food restaurant provides summer camps for kids and marriage retreats for couples?

What other fast food restaurant has employees as courteous and kind as Chick-Fil-A?

That's the result of Christian Love.

The fact is, many of you simply are angry with Chick-Fil-A because its president lived according to his faith, when presented with a question. He showed himself to be a man of integrity, a man of character, one not willing to backtrack or deny what his faith tells him is true. Would you prefer the man anger God? Would you prefer the man not live according to his faith? Do you not support the free exercise of religion found in the first amendment? Do you not support freedom of speech?

Fine, have your little boycott. Don't eat at Chick-Fil-A if that makes you erroneously feel morally just with your decision. The fact is, marriage is ordained between a man and a woman. There's no ifs ands or buts about that, no matter how much you want it to be more inclusive of what God calls an abomination.

By the way, Dan Cathy's statement is certainly going to result in more trips to Chick-Fil-A for me, as it will many of the people who frequent Chick-Fil-A. This "boycott" won't hurt them at all.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
What the Bible says or does not say about anyone is irrelevant. We do not live in a theocracy. That is one of the central tenets of our country. Just as Muslims can't make people who are not Muslims abide by the Qu'ran, Christians can't make non-Christians abide by the Bible. it really is that simple. If the state offers an institution called marriage and provides tax credits and other rights pertaining to it they cannot discriminate. It's un-Constitutinal. The states should get out of the marriage business altogether. That way if you're not married in a church then you have a civil union like much of the rest of the world. But they cannot pass laws discriminating against a whole class of people. Our country was founded on the Constitution, NOT the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Hey, it's your right to frequent whatever restaurant that you desire. However, making a public spectacle of it all is downright ridiculous.

This is NOT a human rights issue.

For one, homosexuality is abnormal. God calls it an abomination. The Bible refers to it as a perversion. Scientifically, men can't have children with men, just as women can't have children with women. The parts are not made for such, nor is this the design found in nature. If it were normal, you'd see men and men having children, and likewise women with women having children, in the same way that men and women are able to have children. However, that is not the case. Furthermore, if it were normal, you wouldn't see the much higher rates of disease found in the homosexual community.

The fact is, frankly, in my opinion, you are a victim of a secular humanism that has tried to make the perverse into something that is normal. It is not normal. The APA labeled it a mental disorder as recently as the 1970s.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Nope. I'm not bigoted against Christians or the Bible.
It appears that way.

What does God's Word say?

Leviticus 18:22

New International Version (NIV)

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Romans 1:24-27

New International Version (NIV)

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Thus, you're speaking out against what the Word of God says.

It appears that you disagree with the Bible.

Quote:
I am proudly bigoted against alleged Christians who use their alleged Christianity as a support for their bigotry.
God calls homosexuality an abomination. If a Christian doesn't support what God calls an abomination, you claimed that they are being bigoted. In essence, you're calling God's Word bigoted and God himself.

By the way, no one prevented homosexuals from ordering a meal at Chick-Fil-A, nor was anyone barred from working there. The man simply stated that he supported traditional marriage. Do you deny the man the right to state what he believes? Do you believe that he doesn't have a right to practice his religion as he sees fit as outlined in the first amendment?

As it stands, it seems like you simply want to deny the man the ability to say something that disagrees with your viewpoints. By the way, wasn't he ASKED a question? It's not like he came right out and said, "I'm going to make an official declaration". When someone asks you a question, it is imperative that you be truthful about it, especially if it relates to something pertaining to a value judgment of which God has a firm stand on.

Quote:
The number one tenet of Christianity is love your neighbor as you do yourself.
I do not see where anyone advocated hate. Being in opposition to homosexual marriage has nothing to do with a lack of love. It has everything to do with GOD'S WORD, as well as disagreeing with what is obviously unnatural.

Were homosexuals barred from entering? Were homosexuals barred from working at Chick-Fil-A?

You really have no point.

Quote:
Anyone who claims to be a Christian and supports the marginalization of others is at the very least questionable.
It certainly looks like they're following God's Word. You obviously disagree with that part of the Bible.

Quote:
I could never be bigoted against Christians.
It certainly looks like that, with your scorn for the wholesome company of Chick-Fil-A, as well as its corporate board.

Quote:
Fortunately there are so few of them about I don't have to worry about them. OTOH, we are overflowing with hypocrites and they get no quarter from me.
You don't have to eat at Chick-Fil-A. You do realize that everyone sins, so, yeah, we're all a bunch of "hypocrites". That said, on this issue, there is nothing hypocritical, for it is line with Biblical teaching

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
The number one tenent of Christianity is not love your neighbor as yourself.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment. Mark 12:30

It's an important distinction because until the upward relationship is right (i.e. between you/God) - you won't be able to have meaningful parallel relationships (i.e. neighbors).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta