Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,472 times

Advertisements

I recently quit my job and luckily have enough saved up to move somewhere else if I'd like to. My lease is also up at the end of the month, so that helps as well. I've lived in DC for 2 years, haven't had much luck landing a great 'career' and feel very over it. I don't want to waste another year throwing away hard-earned cash living somewhere that I really only am staying in because my boyfriend isn't ready to leave quite yet. He wants to give it one more year in DC but the most I can give is 31 more days.

My brother lives in Atlanta, and I have visited him probably 10 times in the past 3 years. I love Atlanta: the vibe, the people, the everything...and I've wanted to live there so he moved there 3 years ago.

DC is great, HOWEVER it is becoming too expensive for me to live here comfortably. I currently pay about $1,100 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment that I share w/my boyfriend (total rent is $2,200). This apartment is not glamorous by any means! My brother lives in a gorgeous townhouse for LESS than I do that is much larger and in a great neighborhood.

If any of you have moved from DC/VA/MD or any metropolitan city to ATL, could you please provide some insight on your experience so far? Are you happy you made the move? How have the job prospects been?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,167 times
well I moved here from the Baltimore area.. spent lots of time in DC. I would've been there, but it's too pricey. I like it here, I was one of the lucky ones that was able to transfer with my company so I have a job. Good luck trying to find one! The economy is tough here, lots of college educated people that are underemployed(yours truly). It warmer, cheaper, and expect to drive a lot :-(
It's pretty easy to meet people once you find your niche and if they dont live far from you. hopefully your brother lives close to the city,easier to make friends that way

Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
MARTA cannot compare to the coverage of WMATA. If you live Downtown, Midtown, or Buckhead you can commute via train as long as your job is near a station.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Stay in DC and make more money.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Stay in DC and make more money.
I agree with this. Plus, college season is starting up and nearly all the places I have visited for this past week have wicked high prices. I'm moving here from NY. Fortunately I was able to sign a high rise condo today, but it was the last available.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,472 times
I could certainly stay in DC and make more money but again 70% of my money goes to rent and utilities! My brother lives in the city and said I could stay at his place until I find a job and somewhere to live. I'm just not happy here. I could stay but again, it'd only be for my boyfriend. I'd hate to do a long-distance relationship but it'd be worth it for me.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
It might help if you told us what line of work you're in- certain industries still have a decent number of positions available, while others don't. Seeing how you said that 70% of your money goes to rent and utilities, it sounds like you're in a pretty low-paying position- those have plenty of applicants here already in most cases.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
Unless you are a lawyer or you have a job with a security clearance move to Atlanta. Plus making more money in dc means paying more for everything. Life will be easier and the chances of u getting married increase in Atlanta. Compare the marriage rates in both cities. Your life will be less stressful. Dc is the perfect city to live in for a few yeats and then leave

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 07-26-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
If you are going to pick up and move to a new city, I would say the best thing to do is move to a city that is on the upswing, not a city that is facing a tremendous amount of challenges.

If someone gave me a blank slate and said I should pick a city with the most upward potential in the South over the next 10-20 years, I would say that Nashville has a much brighter immediate future than Atlanta does.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If you are going to pick up and move to a new city, I would say the best thing to do is move to a city that is on the upswing, not a city that is facing a tremendous amount of challenges.

If someone gave me a blank slate and said I should pick a city with the most upward potential in the South over the next 10-20 years, I would say that Nashville has a much brighter immediate future than Atlanta does.
Lol

You should become a comedian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta