Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:22 PM

449 posts, read 1,176,210 times

Advertisements

Glad I read this, I'll be teleworking when (God-willing) I move back down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
my quality of work is fine, i wouldn't still be doing it otherwise. the lack of social interaction is what's the killer, and being in the same structure for work and sleep (2/3rds of your day!) has really started to get to me over the past year or so. like cqhold put it - cabin fever.
Yes it feels like you are always at work, even when you stop working. Also sometimes it is hard to keep set hours so it feels like you are working all day.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:09 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Another advantage to tele-working is that it enables a lot of people to hold jobs who otherwise wouldn't be in the workforce.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Atlanta has 7% teleworking according to a USA today article a year or two ago.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yes it feels like you are always at work, even when you stop working. Also sometimes it is hard to keep set hours so it feels like you are working all day.
You have to create structure for yourself if that's an issue. I work at home 1-2 days a week, and I have an office set up in an extra bedroom so I can keep life separate. I do tend to work an extra hour or three, just because I don't have to get dressed up and drive to work, but sometimes I will take a break and go outside with the dog, or go pick up a quick take-out lunch. I make it a point to sit at the kitchen table for lunch, not at my desk. Sometimes I will set a timer to go off around the time I'd normally leave the office, so I'm reminded to wrap things up. When I'm done for the day, I close the door to the office so I have a physical and visual barrier.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Atlanta has 7% teleworking according to a USA today article a year or two ago.
Does this percentage include part-time teleworkers or all full time? Just curious.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
You have to create structure for yourself if that's an issue. I work at home 1-2 days a week, and I have an office set up in an extra bedroom so I can keep life separate. I do tend to work an extra hour or three, just because I don't have to get dressed up and drive to work, but sometimes I will take a break and go outside with the dog, or go pick up a quick take-out lunch. I make it a point to sit at the kitchen table for lunch, not at my desk. Sometimes I will set a timer to go off around the time I'd normally leave the office, so I'm reminded to wrap things up. When I'm done for the day, I close the door to the office so I have a physical and visual barrier.
I do have the separate space, and it might be easier for me if I was only doing 1-2 days a week, since I would be used to a regular day routine in an office setting as well, but doing 100% from home for 5 years has gotten to me a little bit.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,880 times
I hear ya. I'm a natural introvert, but I was sick recently and stuck at home for a week -- and I actually looked forward to going back to the office. Apparently I do enjoy some interaction with my coworkers.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Does this percentage include part-time teleworkers or all full time? Just curious.
The article broke down how people got to work, so I presume it was full time equivalent.

I don't still have the USA Today article, but it was roughly
82-84% drive by self
7% telecommute
4% mass transit
5-7% other (walk, bike, car pool)

Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The article broke down how people got to work, so I presume it was full time equivalent.

I don't still have the USA Today article, but it was roughly
82-84% drive by self
7% telecommute
4% mass transit
5-7% other (walk, bike, car pool)
Interesting, so almost twice as many people telework as take mass transit. So that means if you increase teleworking by 50%, you can have almost as much impact on traffic as doubling transit capacity. Of course that assumes that if transit capacity was doubled that the same number of people would get out of their cars and ride it.

Let me say that again...if you increase teleworking by 50%, you have as much impact on commutes as doubling transit capacity. How much would it cost taxpayers to double transit capacity? How much would it cost taxpayers to increase telecommuting by 50%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta