Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Only people who do not understand or know Western European History will not 'get' what the London Opening Ceremony was about. This is another insecure attempt of Atlantanites to inflate an event that came and went for the sake of fitting in. The London Opening was far from a train wreck or failure.

2nd, they are comparing apples and oranges. There is a huge difference between 1996 and 2012 in terms of technology/logistics/planning/location!!!!/culture...

It is uncanny the ability people here have to undermine/rationalize and dismiss their missteps and mishaps by just sweeping it under the rug. The bombing of the 1996 Olympics in ATLANTA is what it made it so memorable to everyone else. It was an intentional, calculated attack to call attention at a world event from a person who is an American citizen and GA resident. No different in intent and effect than Oklahoma, Arizona and Colorado.

And NO, the years of Olympic Openings gone by are not making Atlanta look any better. Remember, that the Olympics is a world event. Atlanta was the host city and lots of Federal funding and help went into it. It was not something that the city of Atlanta came up with on its own, with its own city/state funding.
Actually, the bomber, Eric Rudolph, was a native of North Carolina, so there is one less ridiculous aspersion on the state of Georgia. Never one to miss an opportunity, are you? If you made one positive comment about this state, I'd be running for smelling salts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
I'm still trying to figure out what was so awful about the Atlanta games. I thought they were great. Of course I haven't attended any other Olympics to compare, but I just don't see why anyone would have anything they needed to defend. I was very proud that Atlanta got the games. It did great things for the city and the region.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I would imagine that the Queen well into her eighth decade was probably exhausted. I'm half her age and the thought of sitting through all that makes me tired.
In all seriousness, she really is a trooper. I don't think I could have shown her level of endurance during the Diamond Jubilee, and she had 30 years on me.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 25,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In all seriousness, she really is a trooper. I don't think I could have shown her level of endurance during the Diamond Jubilee, and she had 30 years on me.
Hi Lovin. I sent you a message with some questions about St. Simons. Not sure if you got it or now. Thanks sweetie!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:56 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
I kept thinking maybe she had a cot or something hidden away to lie down. I definitely would've needed a nap or a LOT of gin.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
It is such a shame that many of you do not really understand subtle British humour. It was funny, intelligent, witty and unlike any other. At the end of the day, very British! We spent £27 million where the Chinese spent $100 million, on the opening ceremony. We were never on the same level, but we did a damn good job.
So the Brits spent about half of what the Chinese did. But then again, the Chinese have a lot more resources at their disposal as they make the fireworks and have no labor union issues.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 AM

439 posts, read 852,694 times
Quote:
Actually, the bomber, Eric Rudolph, was a native of North Carolina, so there is one less ridiculous aspersion on the state of Georgia. Never one to miss an opportunity, are you? If you made one positive comment about this state, I'd be running for smelling salts.
I said GA RESIDENT. I could care less where was he born. Still, a U.S. Citizen attacking his own compatriots. I give positive comments when and where they are due which I had in the past. The disparaging comparison from an event that happened 16 years ago and left a lot to be desired and the delusional idea that is being used as a model of comparison to the present event by anyone now THAT is where the ridiculous aspersion lies.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM

I saw these clips of the Sydney Opening Ceremony. Pretty good.

Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Highlights - YouTube

The falling water looked gorgeous, although I think it had one glitch, the torch ring got stuck on the way up.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
So the Brits spent about half of what the Chinese did. But then again, the Chinese have a lot more resources at their disposal as they make the fireworks and have no labor union issues.
As a follow up, I saw a site that listed the Beijing ceremony costing $300 million. Having a totalitarian government is certainly one way to get things done.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I said GA RESIDENT. I could care less where was he born. Still, a U.S. Citizen attacking his own compatriots. I give positive comments when and where they are due which I had in the past. The disparaging comparison from an event that happened 16 years ago and left a lot to be desired and the delusional idea that is being used as a model of comparison to the present event by anyone now THAT is where the ridiculous aspersion lies.
Who cares where he was pitching his tent when he bombed the park? To imply that his association with this state has something to do with his sociopathic behavior (which you did) is beneath contempt and laughable not to mention an outright insult to Georgians.
And as far as you doling out positive comments, I'm certain I will never see them on the Atlanta and Georgia forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta