Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It took a little long for the black = gay argument to show its ridiculous face.
Hard sigh, I think the LGBT crew is going about their movement the wrong way, they are too loud & the chick fe le situation is people trying to slap them in the mouth, its not a gun to head like some of them are claiming. This whole beef is really about paperwork, most LGBT folks don't even want to be married. Something tells me we are all being distracted from more important subjects....

Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM

322 posts, read 465,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Most people that are homosexual weren't born that way IMO. It's mostly via influence and the current state of society. The more we allow same sex marriage and support homosexuality, the more society (especially children influenced by their surroundings) will turn to that lifestyle

You just don't get it. The reason this is an issue now is because a repressed group of people have been fighting for equal rights for the past 40 plus years. We have created an awareness that will ultimately lead to acceptance. This change in societal views has allowed more gay people to be out and open and not hide in he closet. We've always been here in vast numbers, you just did not know it. It's just no longer as dangerous for us to let you know we are here. You are quickly becoming out numbered as intelligent and reasonable people become more aware of our repression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
I don't discriminate against homosexuals, but I have to stand by my stance that homosexual relations aren't natural and I won't support them

Again, you just don't get it. The very nature of that statement is wrong and discriminatory.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM

322 posts, read 465,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
Do any of you "toleranance" types actually practice what you preach?? I could make blank, baseless stereotypes on you like you just tried to pull out on me but since I dont own a truck and am not caught up in my own self righteousness I will pass.
Frankly, not me. I am tired of bigots like you justifying your bigotry in the name of some fairy tale that is only subscribed to by the illiterate and politicians.

I will be tolerant of you when you show me the same respect.

PS: You are the one that chose your user name, not me. It speaks volumes about you.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I agree 100% Marriage should not be a legal institution at all. If you want to go get married at your church or whatever, great, fine, it's a perfectly fine religions institution. But not a legal one. There should be no such thing as marriage in the eyes of the law.

Children's parents would have the same exact rights they have now. Probate and power of attorney decisions should simply go to next of kin unless you specify otherwise, which you can do in a legal form as simply as you can decide the beneficiary of your 401(k).

Marriage of any kind has no business being recognized by any government.
Funny thing is most str8 men would love for government to stay out of marriage but the Women? That's different the laws are designed mainly for their benefit. Taking the legal aspect away would hurt the female agenda.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
First off, wasn't going to really comment in this thread but I have to admit that the accusation that there is a "homosexual epidemic" was pretty hilarious!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The owners of Chick-fil-a have a right to support causes they choose...and anyone who may disagree has the right not to eat there! It really is a dumb issue!
I actually agree with this on the issue though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
I would love to see every CEO of every major company asked bait questions about hot button political issues so everyone could be boycotting everything. Cathy was straight up asked his opinion on an issue and he answered honestly. Now, should he have answered something like "We just focus on making chicken. I have no comment on that issue"? Maybe he should have. But the question was set up to bait him into giving a controversial answer. Cathy said he supports traditional marriage. You know what? So do many Americans, including President Obama up until recently. In fact, if you voted for Obama in 2008, you obviously didn't care much about gay marriage being legal.

Now, the truly conservative position (which also happens to be the one I agree with) on this issue is to get the government out of people's personal lives. Let them marry who they want, and let churches decide what they will recognize and what they won't.

But with that said, people need to lay off of Chik-fil-A (i.e. the bigotry accusations, etc) and go get worked up about something else. Even when most people agree on most things, the media and politicians will go find an issue to divide us, get us charged up emotionally, and get people turned out to the voting booth in their favor.
Also I agree with the bold above. I am a black atheist woman who has a lesbian sister and gay BIL whom I love and support and would like to have every right that I have as a married individual. But I am not going to boycott a business, mostly franchises independently owned by others, just because the CEO of the company, who they probably have never met, is religious and honestly answers a question that directly is related to his religious views.

We are free to say and believe what we want to in this country and I am happy we have the opportunity to do so. FWIW, my own boss is a stout Christian. I don't believe any of the stuff she believes. She also is a republican and I'm an independent who leans more to the left (though I do agree with the conservative position bolded above and consider myself fiscally conservative politically). She does not represent me just because her position is over mine. Most of the franchise owners probably are not devote followers of Christianity and even if they are, many of them may not believe the same things that Cathy believes about gay marriage. That is his individual opinion and he is allowed to have an opinion and state what he wants to state. Now if they were discriminating against gay people at their establishment, then I would boycott them, but someone stating their views does not equal discrimination.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Pro gay = educated, progressive, literate, modern, intelligent

Anti gay = uneducated, regressive, illiterate, backwards & unintelligent

This is how the debate always goes.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Your side is eventually going to lose this fight. Enjoy your selfish, exclusive rights to marriage while they last.
I wonder why 30 states have passed constitutional bans then? I thought it was so accepted? And all those votes have happened post 2000!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
The Chick-Fil-A comments/threads from BOTH viewpoints are closed because this is a topic that cannot remain civil in the room. No further threads on this topic please. If you wish to "go there" go the great debates room and try your luck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta