Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post

4) Would love to be near public transit. I know I'm not getting the NYC subway, but I do believe in public transit and would like to be able to take advantage of what there is when I need to. And, if it's a walkable area, even better. I know Atlanta isn't known as a hugely walkable city in general, but I figure there have to be some neighborhoods that have that vibe.

5) Oh, right: my work. It's off of 75 in the 30339 ZIP (Wildwood Office Complex), and I'd have to drive. So, please don't suggest someplace that's going to put me in a car for half my day, either. :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!
If you are concered about being able to use transit, you will be able to use it to travel to events within town when you don't want to have to deal with traffic or parking, but only buses go to where you will be working and no trains. The rail system here is not expansive and the buses run slow.

So if you want to use public transportation, it will take you more than hour to get there by bus if you lived in Buckhead or Midtown. You could take the bus from the train station but the bus that would get you to work only goes so far, so you would have to take a taxi from the end of the bus line to get to work. In other words, since there are no trains out by your job, it would not be worth it for you to use public transportation to get to work. Unlike NYC or Chicago, the buses don't run as frequently here and it could take 2-4 hours to go 5 miles or less by bus if you aren't able to take the train door-to-door from your home to work.

You have no choice but to drive to work from in town or move to close to your job so you won't have a long drive or have to sit in traffic too long. I'm not sure of the restaurants or bars in Vinings and Smyrna so others here could advice you on that. Othewise, you will have to live near work and come into town on weekends to hang out.

Metro Atlanta is the kind of place that, depending on where you live, if you don't have a car, you literally cannot get around.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-02-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Definitely rent first, especially in today's market. Based on where you plan to work, I would be close to work as possible, Vinings and Smyrna are good choices. You could easily rent a small condo/townhome in midtown or Buckhead (pricier, more high density area). I would try to rent from a private owner for at least 6 months. You have plenty of time to decide if you want to stay here and eventually buy something. Hope you enjoy Atlanta.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Definitely rent first, especially in today's market. Based on where you plan to work, I would be close to work as possible, Vinings and Smyrna are good choices. You could easily rent a small condo/townhome in midtown or Buckhead (pricier, more high density area). I would try to rent from a private owner for at least 6 months. You have plenty of time to decide if you want to stay here and eventually buy something. Hope you enjoy Atlanta.
For the lifestyle that she wants, I definitely think Buckhead would be her best choice. She could also luck up on some condo deals around here. I don't think it would be too bad of a commute going from Buckhead to her office since all she would have to do is take West Paces Ferry or Northside Drive to I-75 North and hit I-285. It would be about a 20 minute drive. And she would be going opposite of traffic. But she definitely couldn't use public transporation. It would be much easier to drive.

If she found a place between West Wesley and Roswell Roads on or off Peachtree Street, it would be easier for her to get to I-75 from there and less traffic if she leaves here home by no later than 7:45 to 8:00 AM before Buckhead traffic really starts up. Traffic can get a little backed up on West Paces Ferry but still it's a short drive to I-75 so it should be ok.

OP, if you want information about the Buckhead area you can feel free to PM me. I live in Buckhead.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times
Default Thanks again

Hey, guys, thanks. Great suggestions, and I appreciate all of them.

To clarify, I'd like to be near to public transport for stuff like going out--believe me, I know I can't get to my office location on mass transit. My boyfriend currently lives in Memphis, 25 minutes or so out, and the fact that there's no train kills me. At least Atlanta has something. Is it great? No. But it's better than nothing.

Looking forward to being there. Worst that happens is I move back. Life for me isn't worth it if you don't roll the dice!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
To clarify, I'd like to be near to public transport for stuff like going out--believe me, I know I can't get to my office location on mass transit.

Looking forward to being there. Worst that happens is I move back. Life for me isn't worth it if you don't roll the dice!

Then Buckhead will be your best best. You will be in the city but closer to work than other areas, it's on public transportation, and many of the bars and restaurants you can walk to depending what part of Buckhead you live in. The part of Buckhead I live in, I can walk to many places and others are just a mile or two up the road (which is walkable too if you want to do it) and I'm very close to the public library (also walking distance from my place), grocery stores, Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza (a 5 minute drive away). And it's on two bus routes. If you want to be near the train, you'd have to go a little further south. Still condos apartments and restaurants not too far from the train station (Lindberg Station). You can also look for places on Lenox Rd. near Lenox train station though traffic tends to get pretty backup on Lenox. I tried to avoid taking Lenox during rush hour unless I have no other choice.

If you want to go the malls you are better off driving as the bus/train would take much longer.

Though everything is closer here, traffic can still get pretty bad. But you will figure out when the more off-peak hours are. But a Target is up the road, so is Trader Joe's.

So I say all that to say, the area of Buckhead I live in would be the best fit for you and your needs. :-)

Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Here is a great resources for condos/townhomes in the Vinings/Smyrna area

Most Popular Smyrna Vinings Condos and Townhomes | Smyrna Vinings Homes, Neighborhoods, Restaurants, Shopping, Events - SmyrnaVinings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta