Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In other words, "I realized I was wrong so I tried to change the subject."

You were wrong. Admit it and get back to the DC forum, please and thank you.
Why are you so angry? What exactly did I say that is making you upset? Is it really that serious? You seemed to forget the fact that this whole conversation is centered on Marta and the stigma people have for Marta in the region and the south period really. I was highlighting many of the issues like race that you seem to be in denial about. Take it easy man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People routinely get robbed, stabbed and attacked by minorities here but nobody goes insane about it. We don't like it but we simply deal with it and move on. It's ridiculous to claim that people in D.C. are somehow more sophisticated in their reaction to such things.

I wasn't say that at all. I was talking about the race issues that still exist in the south. There are race issues across the whole country including here in DC, but the south is a different animal on this stuff. That's all I was saying. History is still alive and well unfortunately for many down there. It is getting better, but it definitely holds the region back from many things us urban enthusiasts want for cities here in America.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Homeless are apart of living in the city. People may not be used to it down there, but they are normal. People rag on five points, yet the youth love underground. It's the place to be. I will give you an example, this happened in DC and people just go on with their day. This happens at Atlantic Station in Atlanta, people would start having town hall meetings. In DC, people don't skip a beat. You don't stop with your daily activities because of some random incidents. It's apart of living in the city. That was my only point from the beginning. I went to school in the south and many people just seemed scared of minorities down there. That was just my observation.

Amid Metro brawl, family's night out turns into 'pandemonium'
They put a curfew becuase of stuff like this DC. Did you read the article?

There aren't any curfews in Atlanta from black youths. Get out of here.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Why are you so angry? What exactly did I say that is making you upset? Is it really that serious? You seemed to forget the fact that this whole conversation is centered on Marta and the stigma people have for Marta in the region and the south period really. I was highlighting many of the issues like race that you seem to be in denial about. Take it easy man.
LMAO!!! I think I'll pass on having you trying to psychodiagnose me.

I'm not in any sort of denial about race issues. My only singular point of disagreement with you, one that you simply refuse to admit that you are wrong about, was concerning the Five Points station. You were simply wrong on that issue and now that it's been handily proven, you should move along.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
No; he was too concerned trying to prove that DC is so much more evolved in handling issues like this than Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post

There aren't any curfews in Atlanta from black youths. Get out of here.
They have had curfews in DC for years. They change the hours sometimes, but curfews here are normal. This was the murder capital for over a decade, remember? If you guys want to believe race has nothing to do with the problems in Atlanta, then we are wasting our time. Why do you think the TSPLOST couldn't have been all transit? Why do you think there is a stigma for mass transit in the south? Don't they call MARTA "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta"? Come on man. This is clearly denial. This whole subject is really sad to begin with and just highlights where we are and how far we still need to go as a country.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
They have had curfews in DC for years. They change the hours sometimes, but curfews here are normal. This was the murder capital for over a decade, remember? If you guys want to believe race has nothing to do with the problems in Atlanta, then we are wasting our time. Why do you think the TSPLOST couldn't have been all transit? Why do you think there is a stigma for mass transit in the south? Don't they call MARTA "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta"? Come on man. This is clearly denial. This whole subject is really sad to begin with and just highlights where we are and how far we still need to go as a country.
We talk about all that stuff here routinely; we have a clue. But when it came to the ONE specific issue about the Five Points station, you clearly didn't have one and that's what you can't see.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
LMAO!!! I think I'll pass on having you trying to psychodiagnose me.

I'm not in any sort of denial about race issues. My only singular point of disagreement with you, one that you simply refuse to admit that you are wrong about, was concerning the Five Points station. You were simply wrong on that issue and now that it's been handily proven, you should move along.
You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. We can respectfully listen to each others opinion and agree to disagree. Well at least that is what you would think would happen with an academic discussion like this. You however, are taking this to a new level. It's just a discussion. The pursuit of knowledge is all about exchange of ideas. I guess that starts with having respect for other peoples opinions though. O well, it's clear you lack the capacity to do any of this by how you were coming at me.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
We talk about all that stuff here routinely; we have a clue. But when it came to the ONE specific issue about the Five Points station, you clearly didn't have one and that's what you can't see.
I never disputed your point about five points not having new investment, I did dispute your point about the reason five points has a stigma. I have a right to have a different opinion than you don't I? I believe most people in the Atlanta region especially outside the city of Atlanta think Marta is for poor people. This is from my experience in Atlanta. Because of this ideology, I believe race is the main issue. Atlantic station doesn't have a bunch of homeless people around. It doesn't have a Marta transfer station. I believe if you brought all those elements to Atlantic Station and filled it with fighting and loud teens, it would be an issue. Have you ever thought about the reason investment doesn't go into the most urban area Atlanta has which is downtown Atlanta? Midtown is a patchy suburb compared to downtown Atlanta yet, its not seeing investment. Ask yourself why? Stigma maybe? Just my opinion though. I think Marta would be blamed for problems in Atlantic Station if all those things were incorporated into it and that element existed.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. We can respectfully listen to each others opinion and agree to disagree. Well at least that is what you would think would happen with an academic discussion like this. You however, are taking this to a new level. It's just a discussion. The pursuit of knowledge is all about exchange of ideas. I guess that starts with having respect for other peoples opinions though. O well, it's clear you lack the capacity to do any of this by how you were coming at me.
Quote:
I never disputed your point about five points not having new investment, I did dispute your point about the reason five points has a stigma. I have a right to have a different opinion than you don't I? I believe most people in the Atlanta region especially outside the city of Atlanta think Marta is for poor people. This is from my experience in Atlanta. Because of this ideology, I believe race is the main issue. Atlantic station doesn't have a bunch of homeless people around. It doesn't have a Marta transfer station. I believe if you brought all those elements to Atlantic Station and filled it with fighting and loud teens, it would be an issue. Have you ever thought about the reason investment doesn't go into the most urban area Atlanta has which is downtown Atlanta? Midtown is a patchy suburb compared to downtown Atlanta yet, its not seeing investment. Ask yourself why? Stigma maybe? Just my opinion though. I think Marta would be blamed for problems in Atlantic Station if all those things were incorporated into it and that element existed.
It's obvious you don't live here and I'll just leave it at that. You were just wrong, point blank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta