U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 PM

103 posts, read 306,277 times

Advertisements

I havt to ask this question: Am I looking at my relocation unrealistically?

I am planning to move to GA finally in January and I will be living in the Lovejoy area. I am looking for employment in GA and I am finding that these jobs do not pay alot of money. I went to different website and looked at the cost of living calculator and I see that there is a vast difference in the cost of living in GA than here in NYC. I make 40K a year here and the sites say that I can live off of 29K in GA because of the cost of living difference. But I am looking at that and getting scared because, I guess that I am still thinking in the NYC area.

I knew that moving to GA, I will take a paycut...1. because I do not have a degree and 2. because GA might not be willing to pay an employee that much that is actually going to be starting over in a new locale and a new industry(I work in apparel right now...no apparel market in GA).

I could use advice to know if I am not viewing this the correct way.

Thanks people

Tammara
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:30 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,263,384 times
Really depends on 'how you spend', and not 'how much you make'. Plenty of people live off <30K a year in georgia. Teachers only start out around $34K.

As far as apparel, there's a big americasmart downtown that takes up 3 blocks, you might want to try them.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 40,844 times
I'm amazed that you can live on $40K in NYC!! If you can do that there, you'll be OK but certainly living a no frills life! The big adjustment for you will be transportation. In NYC you can live easily without a car. I am very familiar with Lovejoy. You're going nowhere without a car. Transportation costs and housing can easily eat up $29K. You can always work 2 jobs!!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,344,841 times
The COL calculators use some percentage differences between areas that may not apply the same at a salary of $40k as they do at a salary of $100k.

Alot will depend on what you spend on rent, cars, credit card debt, etc., and how much of that will come with you. Most costs will remain the same, with the only real difference being rent. Rather than rely on an online calculator, I'd start by adding up all of your monthly expenses, changing the rent amount to what you'll pay in GA, and then seeing how much of a salary change that delta can cover. If you're already living slim, you may find that there's not much room left to go lower.

Bob

Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM

103 posts, read 306,277 times
Default Good Point

I am clearing up my debt so I am not bringing that with me. But I hear so much about how they do not pay well and that what I am going into which is administration is so inflated.

I wish that I could work two jobs, but I have two children so I have to try to make it on one salary.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,170,456 times
Bob is right, the only big difference is housing cost. If you reduce your housing expenses more than your salary, then you should be ok. Clothes and food are about the same cost as NY area. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta