Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,604,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I agree I only use the term when explaining the exurban higher cost housing developments. We have many exurban developments that have been becoming "hot" from the late 80's early 90's. Problem is many of the resales in those neighborhoods have been less and less every time. Like I have said before they are too big, cheap(for the size), and of low quality for a person who can afford them. You have 15k sq. ft. for 1.5 million and most people who can afford a 1.5 million dollar house cannot afford the upkeep on 15k sq. ft.

On a 15k sq. ft. house you would need a full time housekeeper. Even if one spouse stayed at home. And most people do not realize the real cost of those houses.
They used to have those houses on HGTV all the time, and I'd always wonder, "Who cleans all that? What are their utility bills like?" And it was always a couple with just one or two kids! I know big time executives who entertain a lot need an impressive home, but wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,758,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's funny, i actually ended up sharing a room with my brother even though we had the space. we inherited a ~2500 square foot home (family of four) and honestly we don't use half of the space, we end up filling it with junk. i kind of feel like, past a certain point, the more space you have the more crap you find to fill it up.

just googled where 30311 is... why do you want to live way the heck out there? you've got better options closer in. i know you love EA but i'm sure you'd be happier living in a place that's accessible like EA but is, well, safer. if you don't mind older homes, you might want to check out reynoldstown, chosewood park, the south side of grant park and peoplestown, and if you want a new home there is a neighbourhood called high point. i found that neighbourhood a while back, it's over off of prior road right south of university avenue. it's a newer development and they are craftsman style homes. you may also want to check out west end or westview. i'm recommending most of these because they're right on the beltline, in a few years you'll be able to ride light rail all over the city and your property value will skyrocket.
I personally would rather stay where we are. We probably will just because it is so cheap and convenient for us where we are now and like you said it is closer in town, but not all parts of 30311 are that far away and we would mostly focus on the Peyton Forest and West Manor areas that are not far from MLK drive. The primary reason for this area is because of the basement, that is it. I have looked on the east side to see if we can find a place a bit bigger (max of around 2000sq ft) in the price we are willing to pay. The eastside is too expensive for my taste, even though we could afford to buy at a higher price, I only want to pay $100K or less for a house with good bones and not a lot of money needed to bring it up to par and the 30311 area has a lot of houses that match what we want. I am still looking though in Summerhill (which I like due to its proximity to downtown but my son goes to school near the West Lake Marta Station so it would be a drive there from any eastside neighborhood) and Chosewood, but that is too far IMO as well and Grant Park and Peoplestown, but Grant Park is too expensive and houses there aren't brick, which is what my husband wants.

Honestly though, I am planning on convincing him to stay where we are for right now and maybe think about moving next year, but he has a point in that prices are so low right now and they won't stay that way forever so we are thinking of getting a fixer upper and fixing it up while we stay where we are for a year or so. But we will see.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,801,578 times
Baby-boomers might be needing the extra space for both aging parents who need to live with them for health/economic reasons and for kids who have graduated from college who can't find a job.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,135,030 times
Where can you get a 15k square foot house for only 1.5 million?!!

Even here in Texas, that doesn't get you more than 5-7k square feet.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:52 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
They used to have those houses on HGTV all the time, and I'd always wonder, "Who cleans all that? What are their utility bills like?" And it was always a couple with just one or two kids! I know big time executives who entertain a lot need an impressive home, but wow!
I had an acquaintance who had a house with about 18,000 sf. He invited me over to take the tour, and it was obvious he'd never seen all of it himself.

There was a lot of wasted space, but I was impressed by the full sized basketball court in the basement.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM

133 posts, read 503,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
We get it, Georgialakesearch....you think you're old money.

Maybe you are. Maybe you're not. I don't really know.

What I do know is regardless of whether you are old money or not, you truly lack the one thing that makes old money desirable: class.

You have no class.

People with class do not have to come on internet boards and deride what they define as "new money."

Therefore, it's really irrelevant whether you truly are the "old money" that you profess to be.
With a attitude like that, I believe he is old money.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Where can you get a 15k square foot house for only 1.5 million?!!

Even here in Texas, that doesn't get you more than 5-7k square feet.
The listings I see in Cobb are usually between 6k-10k square feet if you're looking in the $1-2 million range, just doing a quick search.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:39 PM

The term McMansion is so obnoxious.

Can you imagine walking up to somebody and saying, "Nice McCar you've got there, buddy."

Or, "You must have paid a fortune for that McSuit."

Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,684,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The listings I see in Cobb are usually between 6k-10k square feet if you're looking in the $1-2 million range, just doing a quick search.
Cobb has held better then Johns Creeks/Duluth/Alpharetta area. Fact of the matter is there are neighborhoods in Forsyth not fully built out from the early nineties. (and I am not just talking about a few personally owned lots)

Cobb also has better access to high paying jobs. And many parts have easier downtown and Buckhead access. Also Vinnings is very desirable.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM

Cobb doesn't mess around.

I was a little worried about the government forcing Agenda 21 down everybody's throat with all those "multi-use trails" up there, but apparently somebody blew the whistle on that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta