Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We used to live in Virginia-Highland and loved it and still have our little house there. However we moved over to Buckhead a while back. Downtown Tokyo it is not but it's not exactly the boondocks either.

Atlanta is a lovely, livable and dynamic city. It's getting better all the time. While I understand Ant's feelings, we have plenty of excellent entertainment and restaurant districts which are the result of community demand. That's exactly how Manhattan and Singapore and London and Hong Kong became what they are.

When I crave a dose of Paris or NYC, I simply go there. No offense intended, but it doesn't make sense to pound on Atlanta or Atlantans for not "measuring up" to a standard we haven't chosen to adopt.
This brings back an old saying that (I wish) I made up:

"Atlanta: It's getting there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
This brings back an old saying that (I wish) I made up:

"Atlanta: It's getting there."
Heh. That goes right along with "Delta is ready when you are."

Seriously, I welcome those who are pressing for positive change in Atlanta and like to count myself among them. I've often been frustrated by the glacial pace of improvement as well, but over time there is no doubt that we've done some good things.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
I think it's pretty obvious Atlanta won't become NYC...it's not growing in the same time era, but certainly, Midtown and Downtown can densify to have similar densities to those in larger, more urban cities. This won't affect the suburbs at all. I'm not saying, 'Everyone should move from the suburbs to the city'. Midtown is barely 1-1.5 square miles...How does this affect the other 8000 square miles that metro Atlanta encompasses? Just saying...having a super dense Midtown area isn't going to be the end of the world. It hardy affects those in Virginia Highlands either. All it will do is increase property values in the city and make those who own condos happier.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I think it's pretty obvious Atlanta won't become NYC...it's not growing in the same time era, but certainly, Midtown and Downtown can densify to have similar densities to those in larger, more urban cities. This won't affect the suburbs at all. I'm not saying, 'Everyone should move from the suburbs to the city'. Midtown is barely 1-1.5 square miles...How does this affect the other 8000 square miles that metro Atlanta encompasses? Just saying...having a super dense Midtown area isn't going to be the end of the world. It hardy affects those in Virginia Highlands either. All it will do is increase property values in the city and make those who own condos happier.
+1

ant may seem like a party pooper to a lot of you, but really, atlanta has tons of room to improve, literally. parking lots and vacant lots are very common in midtown. atlanta is not perfect now and the fact that we actually *can* have the things like ant is referring to should be inspiring, not disappointing. places like houston and dallas simply don't have the urban potential that we do.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
+1

ant may seem like a party pooper to a lot of you, but really, atlanta has tons of room to improve, literally. parking lots and vacant lots are very common in midtown. atlanta is not perfect now and the fact that we actually *can* have the things like ant is referring to should be inspiring, not disappointing. places like houston and dallas simply don't have the urban potential that we do.
Exactly. I bet within 25 years all of those Midtown surface lots will be gone.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
3300 feet of track laid east of the Downtown Connector along Auburn and Edgewood Aves.
Making Tracks: Streetcar to roll out in Spring 2014 - Atlanta INtown Paper | Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
+1

Ant only seems like a party pooper because he does this in every thread he is in. I think the Atlanta posters understand him but theres no need to shove it down our throats .

Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
Out of curiosity if I wanted to party for 24 hours straight...lets say starting Friday at 5pm is it possible in Atlanta? Where would I go?
Used to definitely be possible. Atlanta used to be a 24 hour party city back in the 90's with a few night clubs and strip clubs that frequently stayed open all night and many other clubs that would stay open till 4:00 in the morning or later. A lot of things put that to and end for the most part. Long story.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
3300 feet of track laid east of the Downtown Connector along Auburn and Edgewood Aves.
Making Tracks: Streetcar to roll out in Spring 2014 - Atlanta INtown Paper | Atlanta INtown Paper
It'll also be nice to have the streets put back together. I had to run downtown for a meeting this morning and they had things blocked off all over the place.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Used to definitely be possible. Atlanta used to be a 24 hour party city back in the 90's with a few night clubs and strip clubs that frequently stayed open all night and many other clubs that would stay open till 4:00 in the morning or later. A lot of things put that to and end for the most part. Long story.
Club Anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta