Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,700,865 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of planning our move back down south. Houses, schools, commute are all being considered. But we face one unusual need..we have a black belt in TKD, HKD and Goju Karate. She is "gifted" and currently trains 7 days a week (her choice..not a tiger mom here, though I do like it...just drop her off for 2 hours, makes getting stuff done easier) If she doesn't get good grades etc she can't go. She just loves it.

We are still open to either East or West Cobb area, I've googled all the studios, but would like to see if there any martial artists out there who have opinions about local dojos. She is way beyond what we call "daycare dojos" here, and I don't want her in a mass producing belt factory.

We are looking at moving to either San Antonio or Atlanta, and finding the right studio may be what makes our decision for us..strange I know, but we love things about both cities.

Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,825,135 times
My daughter is a 1st degree Black Belt with Karate Atlanta, which is affiliated with ATA (American Taekwondo Association) and does the Songahm style of TKD. There are 11 locations across Atlanta. The quality varies across locations. I have a friend whose child left Karate Atlanta to go to a different studio to better prepare him to compete nationally (virtually every weekend of the year). He has moved up to a studio in the far northern suburbs. If you're interested, DM me and I'll give you the name. Even if it's too far, maybe they could give you a better idea of where to look.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,263,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

We are still open to either East or West Cobb area, I've googled all the studios, but would like to see if there any martial artists out there who have opinions about local dojos. She is way beyond what we call "daycare dojos" here, and I don't want her in a mass producing belt factory.
Sensei Toru Shimoji is an excellent traditional Shotokan instructor in Smyrna.

Karate Classes Atlanta at Traditional Karate Atlanta

Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
My daughter is a 1st degree Black Belt with Karate Atlanta, which is affiliated with ATA (American Taekwondo Association) and does the Songahm style of TKD. There are 11 locations across Atlanta. The quality varies across locations. I have a friend whose child left Karate Atlanta to go to a different studio to better prepare him to compete nationally (virtually every weekend of the year). He has moved up to a studio in the far northern suburbs. If you're interested, DM me and I'll give you the name. Even if it's too far, maybe they could give you a better idea of where to look.
Thanks, I will PM you. We have avoided ATA here, as the closest here has a horrible rep. I do know that there are good ones around though. Our Grand Master has been talking to some people down there for us, since he knows exactly what she needs. He has said no way to a ton of them, once they start talking contracts etc, tells him it is about the $$ not the training. A couple have asked for videos, and one really wants her, but they are way too far south.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,015,834 times
I challenge all of your kids to a karate street fight.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I challenge all of your kids to a karate street fight.
Taking on 9 year olds are we! My dd is actually well versed in all kinds of self defense. Her instructor is a (mean old) retired marine who belives that everyone should know hand to hand combat. He loves martials arts, 9th degree in 3 disciplines, but doesn't feel that is enough. My dd goes to schools with him and teaches younger kids escape techniques and how to "play ground" defend. She also can weld a mean two by four or whatever else is handy, chair etc. Not in just martial art forms but in street fighting. She took down my 6'4" husband with a pressure point to the hand...thought he was going to cry. Needless to say we don't let her practice that at home anymore.

Like we say in my house..."pity the fool that messes with her."

Mind you she is only 50 lbs...

Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,887,235 times
Quote:
Thanks, I will PM you. We have avoided ATA here, as the closest here has a horrible rep. I do know that there are good ones around though. Our Grand Master has been talking to some people down there for us, since he knows exactly what she needs. He has said no way to a ton of them, once they start talking contracts etc, tells him it is about the $$ not the training. A couple have asked for videos, and one really wants her, but they are way too far south.

In Woodstock, not far from Kennesaw, Marietta, or Ackworth.. (If she's interested in switching styles)
Atlanta Martial Arts Center

Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
In Woodstock, not far from Kennesaw, Marietta, or Ackworth.. (If she's interested in switching styles)
Atlanta Martial Arts Center
We've looked at that one. She is game for adding styles, but not leaving any of the others behind. No way am I paying for two Dojo's.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,887,235 times
Quote:
We've looked at that one. She is game for adding styles, but not leaving any of the others behind. No way am I paying for two Dojo's.
So she wants to stick with TKD? That's cool if that's what she wants I was just sharing info on what I found to be an excellent school. I have vast experience (30 yrs) and when looking for a school for my children it was this one out of all the schools in Cobb within 10-15 miles from their home. They liked the training and I liked it for "Self Defense" that was more realistic out of most of the schools that I had time to research in their area. Since she prefers TKD then I say "let the child have her choice."

Have you looked into any of these?

Marietta Martial Arts

CKD MARTIAL ART | KENNESAW GA 30144 - The Best Martial Art for Children and Adults in Kennesaw

Good luck in your search

Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
So she wants to stick with TKD? That's cool if that's what she wants I was just sharing info on what I found to be an excellent school. I have vast experience (30 yrs) and when looking for a school for my children it was this one out of all the schools in Cobb within 10-15 miles from their home. They liked the training and I liked it for "Self Defense" that was more realistic out of most of the schools that I had time to research in their area. Since she prefers TKD then I say "let the child have her choice."

Have you looked into any of these?

Marietta Martial Arts

CKD MARTIAL ART | KENNESAW GA 30144 - The Best Martial Art for Children and Adults in Kennesaw

Good luck in your search
Thanks. I haven't looked at those. She loves TKD, but she wins tournaments with her GOJU karate form. Everyone does TKD. So it is slightly different. She has also won an overall grand in a tie by being able to do another style. This was against every age group winner. It was great seeing the older competitors share her joy in beating them. Not many sport have that. And since the olympics has TKd...she is all about that. A local kid won the bronze in his division. She has seen him spar one of her instructors (and lose) so it was very motivating.

Though I did like what I saw on their self defense , since that is very important to her as well.

Will check out the other websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta