Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM

444 posts, read 1,250,683 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am meeting a friend for the Braves game Friday night. He's coming down I-85 and I am coming up I-20.

If there a good safe place to meet to leave one car and bring one into the city?
If there a safe train station / light rail spot that would be convenient?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
You have two options: Both go to the stadium, where there is -plenty- of parking (for a cost of course) and meet there. With cell phones it isn;t hard to do, I would also recommend meeting in a back corner to be easier to find. A good idea if one of the parking lots has the old layout from ATL-Fulton county stadium and these are not the closest spaces that get taken up first. I'd plan of meeting in that general area https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlan...gl=us&t=h&z=17 .

Option two. meet at any MARTA station in town with parking. It will cost $5 round trip per person. Take the train to Five points and there is a frequent shuttle bus to get people to Braves games.

What direction on I-85 is he coming from? what direction on I-20 are you coming from?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Thank you for the reply...He is coming from Greenville and I am coming from Augusta.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,779 times
Are you coming from the East or the West on I-20? You can look at the MARTA website for info on which ones offer Park and Ride. Make sure it's one that is open after hours and that you check the specific hours for that station (some only have free daily parking and some have no parking at all). From the North the Brookhaven/Oglethorpe Station has a plenty of parking. If you are coming from the East on I-20 the East Lake station would probably be your best bet. Sorry I don't know much about MARTA on the West side of town. The easiest though may be for the person coming from the North to park at Brookhaven/Oglethorpe. Have them ride the train down to the King Memorial station (they will need to switch tracks at 5 Points station and go east a few stations). There is a little side spot next to that one on Decatur St SE where you can pull your car in real quick to pick them up. Turner field is really close to this station. You can be there in about 5 minutes from the King station (barring any crazy traffic). I'll PM you another option for parking near the Grant Park neighborhood if you want to avoid taking MARTA all together.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

I would either meet at the stadium (probably easier and quicker but slightly more expensive given two cars)

or go the Indian Creek MARTA station...It is the end of the line, so you don't have to worry about which direction it goes, plenty of free parking.

For you: You will go north on I-285 and there is actually an exit from the freeway right into the station's parking lot.

For him: He will go on I-285 south, get off at Memorial Drive and turn right, pass another MARTA station and turn left onto Kensington, turn left onto Durham Park Rd, and then left onto Elder Ln. The station will be right there.

Take the train to Five points and follow the signs for the Braves Shuttles.

If you do the MARTA thing... I would recommend stopping off at Decatur for drinks afterwards. It is a great old town center with nice pubs.

I guess a third option. Meet at Kensington, park one car, and take one car onto I-285 south to I-20 west. (the on and off ramp to I-285 South starts right in the parking lot)

Kensington: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.76...i=transit_comp

Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I guess a third option. Meet at Kensington, park one car, and take one car onto I-285 south to I-20 west. (the on and off ramp to I-285 South starts right in the parking lot)

Kensington: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.76...i=transit_comp
Did you mean Indian Creek?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Did you mean Indian Creek?
Ha yea...

I always do that... Kensington is one I would normally go to on the east line, but its Indian Creek that is easy to get to going south on 285.

They aren't very far apart. Thanks for catching that

Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I would drop one car at a MARTA station or similar (there's a Wal-Mart along I-20 as well) and drive in. Assuming you don't have MARTA cards, you'll pay the same $12 to park that you would to ride, I'm sorry to say (ignoring gas). It will also take less time than riding MARTA.

If it's a really big series (weekend against a good team), parking will be difficult and possibly a lot more expensive (it can go north of $20 for private lots, and the stadium lots are for passes only). In that case, take MARTA.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
For the amount of money involved, and the different directions you are headed, I'd just both park at the stadium. It's not worth it to figth traffic coming different cardinal directions on a friday evening, and MARTA isn't going to save you a ton of time or money in this case. It's a Dogers game, so parking won't be packed or running at a premium price like it would be for the Red Sox, Phillies, or Yankees.

You can pre-buy a parking pass for Friday's game in the Blue Lot for $11 HERE. I believe it's $12 day of game. MARTA will cost you $6 each round trip and requires a bus transfer both directions, or a mile walk to the GSU station. The blue lot is the cheapest lot run by the stadium, but there are some other private lots farther away for $5. My main recomendation for the blue lot is that there is lots of signage and direction on how to get there, which may be nice for two people unfamiliar with the area trying to meet up.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Thank you all for the advice. You have been very helpful.

I was able to purchase tickets in the first row along the 3B line last night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: