Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreda30238 View Post
I really do think it has everything to do with these places not being accessible to public transportation (a plus unfortunately).
I think Georgia is the Only State in the country that tries to use this argument that public transit is the cause of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I think Georgia is the Only State in the country that tries to use this argument that public transit is the cause of problems.
Yessir. Good post, good response.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM

325 posts, read 979,605 times
Quote:

Because it's true....why do you think Gwinnette said NO to it???lol

Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Because it's true....why do you think Gwinnette said NO to it???lol

Are Cobb, Gwinnett, and North Fulton falling apart because they have transit?
No

Are places like Douglass, Fayette, and Rockdale crime free cause they don't have transit.
No

The thing that happened with Clayton is that it lucked out with cheap land, bad politics, and the wrong demographic as the majority, Lower Middle Class families barely making it.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
No one is blaming anything on transit. I think Atlanta and this forum are the only places where people are obsessed WITH transit, and blame every ill in the metro area on some perceived transit shortcoming.

I grew up in NY which has excellent transit of every kind. Guess what? They have oppressive traffic; they have crime (although less than years past); they have all kinds of urban issues despite transit on every corner. I lived near Boston, and the same is true.

I've also visited many cities such as Seattle which has no rail transit and lots of traffic, and they are not hung up on it. LA has an inferior system to MARTA and oppressive traffic, yet folks aren't hung up on it. Most 2nd and 3rd tier cities have no transit, yet people aren't hung up on it.

Atlanta has a pretty decent rapid rail system. Only the old cities have better (and older systems), but yet people complain and moan. Transit is great when it goes somewhere you need/want to go, and where its desired. It's not something to be shoved down people's throats or built at exorbitant costs for little benefit to most citizens.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 AM

325 posts, read 979,605 times
Quote:
Are Cobb, Gwinnett, and North Fulton falling apart because they have transit?
No

Are places like Douglass, Fayette, and Rockdale crime free cause they don't have transit.
No

The thing that happened with Clayton is that it lucked out with cheap land, bad politics, and the wrong demographic as the majority, Lower Middle Class families barely making it.

You GREATLY miss the point. Does transit play a part..yep. Is transit THE reason for an increase in crime, no, but I think it plays a part whether great or small, doesn't matter. Why IS Douglas, Fayette, and Rockdale's crime less than Clayton? Fayette is right next door??? Transit plays a part, so it kills me that people try to act like it has NOTHING to do with it. You can say NY, Chicago, LA, etc, but the country's demographics and the fact that those cities transit systems have been around far longer than ours may be important to bring up. I lived in Clayton pre and post transit so I can form the opinion that transit contributes in some way. I believe that cheap property taxes, bad politics, etc ALSO play a part. This is who the people elected so you get what you get when you don't do your research and take more pride in the community and county in which you live. Point blank.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
You GREATLY miss the point. Does transit play a part..yep. Is transit THE reason for an increase in crime, no, but I think it plays a part whether great or small, doesn't matter. Why IS Douglas, Fayette, and Rockdale's crime less than Clayton? Fayette is right next door??? Transit plays a part, so it kills me that people try to act like it has NOTHING to do with it. You can say NY, Chicago, LA, etc, but the country's demographics and the fact that those cities transit systems have been around far longer than ours may be important to bring up. I lived in Clayton pre and post transit so I can form the opinion that transit contributes in some way. I believe that cheap property taxes, bad politics, etc ALSO play a part. This is who the people elected so you get what you get when you don't do your research and take more pride in the community and county in which you live. Point blank.
Clayton County's demise has nothing to do with "transit", and everything to do with the people who moved there in droves.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,368 times
Clayton was never really all that to me. Aside from Lake Spivey Clayton always seemed to be the working class/ blue collar county in the metro, and that was the perception I had growing up. Long before Katrina moved droves of New Orleans transplants there, and even a short time before all the projects in the city were torn down. People act like Clayton was always paradise until a few years ago.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,525 times
It's always been lower middle class, now they are just a different color...

Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Clayton County's demise has nothing to do with "transit", and everything to do with the people who moved there in droves.
The County started its demise 3-4 years before transit even came to the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta