Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times

Advertisements

Nothing makes me feel safer than a 12 ga. If anyone ever breaks into my place while I'm home, I'm not going to be the one screaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
What do y'all think about the value of alarm/surveillance systems?
I think they are like everything else....if someone specifically wants to get into your house, an alarm system isn't going to stop them.

But if ia person just wants to get into any house, and I think this is 99% of burglaries, and you have an alarm and your neighbor doesn't, why would a burglar want to go through the extra hassle of dealing with an alarm when there's a target that is just as good that doesn't have one?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
since moving here, I haven't seen even so much as a bad area.I came here without my car so I admit I'm not well traveled but I've done the whole downtown to midtown to buckhead to Lindbergh center on foot many times and at all times. Even when the areas seemed poorer, I didn't see the usual security doors, bars on windows, etc

For the most part Atlanta feels very clean, green, and a modern city. If anything, Atlanta is the gayest city I've been to since San Francisco

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Oh, I let them know I'm here, but I don't openthe door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The fact is, anything can happen anywhere, at any time, in a large(r) city: Delivery man claims he was robbed, kidnapped on Peachtree | www.wsbtv.com

The point is to be observant and not put yourself in situations where you could be a victim (regardless of time/place) or at least greatly reduce your chances of being one. This includes traveling in groups at night even in popular areas, etc. You can live in this city your entire life and never be victim of a major crime, or move here and a week later be mugged at gunpoint in the middle of the day. Sometimes it's also simply a roll of the dice as well as where/when you are.

At home, it's a matter of common sense. Making sure you have good solid door and window locks (and actually using them), having a good security system (with cell backup), and having security lights that work, around your property. Keeping valuables out of your car, etc etc etc.

Roslyn, that's actually not a good approach. Many times gang bangers will go around a neighborhood and knock on doors to see who is home that time of day. If you completely ignore it, then a few minutes later, a SUV or van filled with their buddies just might pull up, kick your door in, and then well... who knows? NEVER ignore a knock on the door. You don't have to open the door - just yell through the door and say something to the effect of you "are all" busy, or "everyone is sick we can't answer the door and expose you to it", or something that might make them want to avoid your place, etc. If they think the house is empty, they'll treat it that way and possibly come back to break in. If they think there are people there they are far less likely to do it.

Side note: My Sister even downloaded an app on her phone with sounds of barking dogs - when someone knocks on her door she activates the app. Sounds like a couple of Shepherds are at the door.

Um.....

Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
No, I don't feel safe, in general. This may be partly due to the fact that I moved to an intown neighborhood after living out in Cherokee County for 12 years, and the vibe here is completely different.

I know, I know, crime can happen anywhere. No place is immune. But I would be naive to think crime isn't a problem in my neighborhood. There is a trap house on my street and people are constantly coming and going. We had a drive-by shooting back in the spring, and the local parks are not much better. As I understand it, it's much improved, but I still do not feel safe enough to walk my dog on a regular basis.

So we have an alarm system, and a medium-sized alarm dog with a big bark, and numerous weapons for home defense (we had both dogs & guns before moving here). Our neighborhood has a private security patrol, although I've never seen them. Mostly I just try to be aware of my surroundings. I don't carry, and I feel OK walking around my neighborhood during the day, or with another person at night. I don't leave anything visible in my car, ever. And my front porch light stays on all night. We have great locks, but our front and back doors suck. I could kick them in myself with no problem, but it's a rental house and the owner says she can't afford to replace them. If someone really wants to get in, they will.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Yeah, I've lived in Candler Park for 6 years and have never felt unsafe.

I've walked home from the Star Bar at 2am and felt safe.

I'm a runner and I've run all over, down through Edgewood, etc, by myself and maybe I get a wolf whistle (always amusing at my age) I don't feel unsafe. Maybe that's because I feel confidant I can outrun anyone.

In all the years we've lived here the only strangers who knock on the door are the state Democratic party and those sweet old ladies looking to convert me to God.

And the crime reports in the neighborhood newsletter indicates a couple people are mugged each month.

And our basement (which has outdoor access) was broken into the first year we lived here.

It seems that real true stranger danger crime is actually pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta