Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 50,989 times

Advertisements

Emory discloses the actual numbers (misreported and corrected) here: Questions and Answers About Data Reporting | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

The difference is 40 points on a 1600 point scale. The corrected data still puts Emory on par with or above many elite schools. Also, for whatever it's worth, there is an upward trend to the data, so that the corrected 2011-2012 (found here: http://www.oirpe.emory.edu/instituti...nal8-17-12.pdf) numbers are about even with the misreported 2009 numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I can say this applies to me. Back in 199X I applied to a college that resembles Emory in that it's vaguely religious (Emory is soooooo not actually Methodist) and highly regarded. I got a partial scholarship (academic based) but the tuition was still going to be about $25,000/year. So I didn't go. I ended up at the University of Southwestern Louisiana, which is not University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

It's all good because I met the love of my life there. And HE is a professor at Emory. But in the medical school, which is not connected to this report academically.
Yea I knew of other people in this situation as well. Some went to UGA and some went elsewhere.

I'm not arguing that they make every part of the school and how they teach, but many people forget a few facts that are true

it IS affiliated with the methodist church
It does have a theological school affiliated with the methodist church.

With that in mind there are alot of avenues for scholarship money (small and large) coming from the methodist church helping members of the church and to a large part the children of ministers within the church to go to a methodist affiliated school, which includes Emory. Some are just to the theological school and some are at-large.

There was also one small one where $1000 came from a church, $1000 from the conference, and $1000 from the school.

So while many students aren't methodist and the school doesn't really require it and runs as a full university (not just pushing a religious agenda), there are alot of links to the church...which includes funding/scholarships etc..

Old 08-17-2012, 04:41 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
First of all, the racially orientied comments are completely irrelevant to this thread.

This situation gives insight into the culture in the administrative offices - end result is all that matters. The last two Admission deans were aware of this and probably received bonuses as a result. It makes you wonder how many others were also aware or just content not to look into the details. While the stakes may be lower, this is similiar to cooking the books in a corporate setting. Rightly or wrongly, many people are hyper fixated on college rankings including the administration of the colleges. Rankings have become an industry to themselves and are probably a big reason why US News et al are still even in print.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I can only imagine how many postings a thread like this would receive if it were Spelman or Morehouse that misrepresented data for its rankings rather than Emory University.

But that's neither here nor there.

Amen. And I'm an Emory alumna(us).

Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Get over yourself.

You are not my mom or my dad nor are you God. I will say what I want to say. The truth is brutal. It riles people up as well as it should. If you don't like what I say, ignore it...don't respond...pretend the comment doesn't even exist.

It's not that hard. Try it sometime. I do it all the time.
(see bolded above)
Amen again.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
When some folks try to explain away & justify the actions of true racism such as what was posted in the thread I've revealed below, I am actually quite happy when I am the recipient of ad hominem attacks by those same folks.

It means that my truth is more than what some people can bear to read, hear, and acknowledge. Thanks for making my errant and oh-so harmless statement more than what it is.

I shall await the eventually slapdown from the God of City-data.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post19635837

The bolded above says it all. Good job.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
BTW, if one chooses to go to a private Univ on a scholarship - how easy or difficult is it to keep or lose that scholarship? How long is it guaranteed for?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
BTW, if one chooses to go to a private Univ on a scholarship - how easy or difficult is it to keep or lose that scholarship? How long is it guaranteed for?
That is completely up in the air and dependent on the terms of who gives the scholarship and probably varies widely.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM

164 posts, read 375,533 times
Emory really nipped this potential scandal in the butt, and I see little fallout. I also agree that with the revised numbers, they are probably still the top school in GA, but a notch below the top-tier Ivy schools, if that matters to the egos of some that attended these institutions.

I will probably never attend Emory because I would not be willing to pay the cost to attend. However, I do walk the grounds quiet often. Emory is one of the prettiest campuses in the country. I really enjoy Lullwater Park, near the Emory presidents home, and I would recommend that everyone visit it since it is open to the public.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxnstat View Post
Emory discloses the actual numbers (misreported and corrected) here: Questions and Answers About Data Reporting | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

The difference is 40 points on a 1600 point scale. The corrected data still puts Emory on par with or above many elite schools. Also, for whatever it's worth, there is an upward trend to the data, so that the corrected 2011-2012 (found here: http://www.oirpe.emory.edu/instituti...nal8-17-12.pdf) numbers are about even with the misreported 2009 numbers.
40 pts at the fringes of the SAT is still pretty big. It's more than the difference between Emory & #13 Johns Hopkins. Their real numbers also put them on par with #33 NYU. Obviously these rankings are highly fungible and any student attending will likely do well but the whole thing just smells bad. They're probably not the only school to cheat on this given the high stakes but how many students added Emory to their checklist simply b/c it fell inside the top 20 instead of potentially in the top 30. The high # of applicants would only push their acceptance rate down and move them up the rankings as being more rigorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta