Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM

45 posts, read 180,427 times

Advertisements

My son graduates from college in May and is starting a new job in Atlanta. He will definitely need a 1 BR (possibly 2 BR) apartment. He will be working on Riverwood Parkway and the zip code is 30339. Looking at the map, it looks like this area is just off Cobb Pkwy neat the Cumberland Mall. Where is a safe place to live witin a 10-15 minute commute? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
Lots of stuff in Vinings and Buckhead. I'd look there first.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappearc View Post
My son graduates from college in May and is starting a new job in Atlanta. He will definitely need a 1 BR (possibly 2 BR) apartment. He will be working on Riverwood Parkway and the zip code is 30339. Looking at the map, it looks like this area is just off Cobb Pkwy neat the Cumberland Mall. Where is a safe place to live witin a 10-15 minute commute? Thanks.
Too funny. I'm literally a few blocks from that location right now!

That area is right next to Vinings, and Smyrna is just to the west on the other side of I-285. There are lots of good apartment complexes along Cumberland Parkway just south of Paces Ferry Road, and I'm sure there are other places which people here will recommend.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 40,658 times
Vinings is a great area. I worked there for over 10 years. Rents are high but it's not on the MARTA line which makes it alot safer than other areas. Plus, it's close to Buckhead, downtown and alot ot Atlanta's "hot spots"

Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,779,916 times
This is a very expensive area, but there are some places with somewhat affordable housing. I'd look at Smyrna and Cumberland first. The apartments on Northside in Buckhead are a little pricey for a recent graduate.

Look at apartments off Spring Rd and Village Pkwy in Smyrna which are the most affordable in the area without being eyesores (I'd recommend between Campbell Rd and Atlanta Rd). It's a very safe area and the rent is much lower than the rest of the Vinings/Cumberland area. Examples are the "Highlands of West Village". There's also a linear park on Spring Rd and it's within walking distance of Market Village in Smyrna. You'll be looking at about $600-$700/mo for a 1br in that area, and around $800 for a 2br. They are almost within walking distance of the mall -- about a mile away and probably a short hop on the bus. The cheapest apartments are Galleria Courtyard on Spring Rd ($500), but they are low income, a bit of an eyesore, and there's a tiny bit of crime in there. There's some across the road that look a little better and I imagine they are the next cheapest. As you head down Spring Rd towards Smyrna center, they get more expensive.

spring rd, smyrna - Google Maps

If he has enough credit, or you're able to cosign, I'd look to buy a 2br 1 ba condo in the area after he's rented for a year because it'll be cheaper per month to pay a mortgage and assoc fee than rent an apartment, and it'll be stable. The 2br 1 ba condos off Village Pkwy and Spring Rd will run you only about $110k. Example condo communities in this area are Country Park, Countryside At Cumberland, and Hillsdale.

I used to live in a condo off Spring Rd and loved it there, but it was too small when we had a baby so we had to move and rent it out and we moved to a bigger house on the other end of Smyrna. I highly recommend living off Spring Rd.

There's also a POST apartment complex (Post Crest) right near the Cumberland mall but I don't know how much they cost. I can only assume they are a bit more expensive. There's also Post Woods off Cumberland Blvd near 75 is in the $800s for a 1br (I did a little research because I was curious).

I'd also look at the apartments off Windy Ridge near Interstate North (Post Ridge?) and some more off Cumberland Parkway near the Home Depot headquarters (Magnolia Vinings has some in the $800s). There's also some apartments on Spring Hill Parkway, Post Springs being very expensive (lived there in 2005) but there are a couple others in there that are less expensive, but I forget their names.

I'm just did a search and Riverside House Apartments off Power's Ferry look like the most affordable nice apartments in the area, but I don't know much about them.

I'd check out rent.com and I'd also recommend you head over to a place called Promove and have them help him out.

Last edited by netdragon; 02-13-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta