Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 44,894 times

Advertisements

I want to move with my disabled mother from MA to Georgia. How good are the benefits in GA? In MA she has SSI, Mass Health Insurance, and housing. I don't how to start applying for those benefits for her in GA. Please advise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Terrible....

Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 PM

what do you mean? they dont have any?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Basically, GA is not kind to it's poor, elderly disabled...I am sure the SSI is portable as its a federal program, but we have no insurance program for the poor and housing subsidizes are few and far between.

This is the REDDEST state in the country right now (the most Republican) and it is very conservative (even the democrats are primarily conservative). Our social services stink...

Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Are you saying there is no state insurance what about people that can't afford to pay their medical Insurance? What about the people that are too sick to work. What happen to them? There is provision for them? That's not what I was hoping to read, but thanks for your input.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Is she eligible for medicaid? You would have to research GA's medicaid program and figure it out? As for housing, most subsidized housing for the elderly is within the City of Atlanta and isn't great. There may be some other options-- how old is your mom?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:03 PM

She is 56. I dont mind to much about the housing part, She can either stay with me or I can rent her a nice apt in suburbs no problem, but what I am worried about is her health. No she does not have medicaid.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default Ssi

is portable. You will have to go to the Soc. Sec. office in your new location and let them know Mom is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Basically, GA is not kind to it's poor, elderly disabled...I am sure the SSI is portable as its a federal program, but we have no insurance program for the poor and housing subsidizes are few and far between.

This is the REDDEST state in the country right now (the most Republican) and it is very conservative (even the democrats are primarily conservative). Our social services stink...

Old 02-12-2008, 06:08 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default Why

doesn't she have Medicaid??? EVERYONE on SSI who gets at least $1 a month is eligible for Medicaid. It sounds as if MASS Health Insurance is the state carrier for Medicaid. In FL where I am it's Agency for Health Care Admin. She won't get Medicare until she is either on SSDI or reaches 65. Do not put her in the suburbs unless she can drive and manage to get herself around. It's a good way for her to become isolated and that is another whole set of problems. I am 61 and receive SSI and there are so many limitations. If YOU rent her the apt. they will consider that income and drop her SSI. Ditto if she lives with you and FYI, a HOUSEHOLD can only have so much income, assets and own only ONE car. They've done it to me with my husband's income. They are monitoring it because he substitute teaches and income varies. this is a federal program so this part doesn't vary state by state. All that will change is your local area's Federal Poverty Guidelines. SSi will only bring her up to your household's poverty level for 2 people (unless you have kids and husband then they will be counted but the 1 car rule will still apply).

Go to your local Social Security office to verify the Medicaid issue. If you make the move, go to the one in your new area to report the change.
Another "benefit" the Fed. has given us is the "Ticket to Work" this is a way to go back to work without losing SSI. If she is functional, she should use this and go to Vocational Rehab. to get retrained for something suitable. They will test her to see if she is still not able to function at work. This is a complicated process at our age. It's not just not being able to do the tasks one previously could do. It's age, market need and a whole range of issues. I could do paralegal work but the reality is that no lawyers in my area would hire a 60 something woman so VR won't send me to school for that. I really tried because I found SSI to be a trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia_N View Post
She is 56. I dont mind to much about the housing part, She can either stay with me or I can rent her a nice apt in suburbs no problem, but what I am worried about is her health. No she does not have medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta