Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
That may work because you are male, but with more people living intown, and more of them young women it is something that needs to be addressed.
The more people that move in town, the less likely people will be bothered by homeless people. I do not doubt your sincerity, but I do question the authenticity of being unlawfully harassed. In the case of being physically touched in a threatening way, by all means lock these people up. However, if you live in Midtown, does a drunk male asking you to dance repeatedly constitute harassment, or is it something your just feel is normal when going out? How is one not more threatening, given they are under the influence of alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
That may work because you are male, but with more people living intown, and more of them young women it is something that needs to be addressed.
Precisely. It definitely doesn't work for me a middle aged woman with a baby in a stroller. I don't think I'm superior to anyone, however when you grab my stroller, all bets are off. This isn't a matter of sympathy or compassion. It's an issue of common sense and safety. Women are targeted. Women control the checkbooks in most families. If women can't/won't go downtown for fear of their safety downtown will not survive.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
The more people that move in town, the less likely people will be bothered by homeless people. I do not doubt your sincerity, but I do question the authenticity of being unlawfully harassed. In the case of being physically touched in a threatening way, by all means lock these people up. However, if you live in Midtown, does a drunk male asking you to dance repeatedly constitute harassment, or is it something your just feel is normal when going out? How is one not more threatening, given they are under the influence of alcohol.
Does the drunk male go away when you say no, or does he follow you down the street? Not sure what's so hard to understand. These people will not leave you alone. I had it again today. That crap gets old, especially when you have a baby with you.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
However, if you live in Midtown, does a drunk male asking you to dance repeatedly constitute harassment, or is it something your just feel is normal when going out? How is one not more threatening, given they are under the influence of alcohol.
If some drunk guy in Midtown asks me to dance, I would probably just say no. However, if he keeps bugging me, I would definitely consider it threatening and harassment. No means no, buddy, so I would suggest you back severely off unless you are looking for a taste of this walking stick.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is the solution exactly?
Provide them with housing, food, maybe craft/trade training depending on aptitude, and some incentive to do well. Time-limited. Maybe use them to perform menial tasks from time to time to earn the above benefits (road crews, helping farmers who currently have a shortage of immigrant workers, etc.).

Those who aren't interested and who are mentally/physically sound get deported and can start a new life on some other country's dime. Hey, it's their choice.

Edit after finishing thread:

I was obviously equating the legitimately homeless with those who choose to panhandle aggressively as a career choice.

Revised solution:

Make it illegal, and thrown them in jail for some meaningful time if they are multiple offenders. I'd rather see someone like that serving time than many of the folks who actually *do* get put away for years...

Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times

It got the problem solved. Homeless either need to make an effort and take advantage of the resources the cities have or they need to be locked up for harassment.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If people start pepper spraying panhandlers just because they ask for money, I hope the panhandlers retaliate in kind.

What if it's your wife, or your GF or , mother, or, aunt , or daughter who is harrassed by some beggar and won't be left alone?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Perhaps. So make the first move, tough guy.
Nothing tough about a man using pepper spray. If panhandler is aggressively bothering your female companion or relative then you deck them.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
True...

Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
It got the problem solved. Homeless either need to make an effort and take advantage of the resources the cities have or they need to be locked up for harassment.
Do you mean to tell me that NYC's homeless problem is solved??? Really???

I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta