Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,233,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Pull this string and you'll find a whole lot of poor life choices that got them to a position where they don't even have a few hundred bucks to move 20 miles into the city. It is never one bad thing that happened but a series of awful decisions of one's own doing that led to these situations. Save a few dollars in good times and this doesn't happen. Is that hard to do? Heck, if they are that poor, it isn't like they need a 30 foot moving truck to haul there stuff around so the expense should be minimal.

Oh wait... we need to sympathize, feel bad for and help people who don't even help themselves with basic common sense actions. This sort of "its no ones fault" mentality keeps pushing us closer to a bleeding-heart nanny-state where no one is responsible for their own crappy situation. Pathetic that so many buy into this.
Is it really everybody who is out of works fault that they are out of work? Is it truly one's fault that a company laid them off? Or wont hire ANYBODY because they now have a crutch of an excuse to do the same or more work with less labor in order to try and bloat their bottom line called the recession? Please dude....what poor life choices do you know of that all these people made? And since when does it cost a couple hundred dollars to move? Anywhere? Stop making these foolhearty assumptions because though you may be intelligent the last few posts you made about this matter show otherwise. Not everyone is in the same economic or socioeconomic season. The fact people in this thread have to inform you of that is disturbing......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,569,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's not what it is. the #1 reason for poverty is no access to jobs= Clayton County. If we allow the citizens of Clayton County to vote for the MARTA sales tax then they can get access to transit and get to work or classes at Clayton State and get better jobs to move. Don't worry corndog, you won't have to pay the sales tax and you get to keep driving your car.
Do we want to subsidize people from Clayton County coming into Fulton and DeKalb and taking jobs and/or driving down wages?

I don't know the answer, it just seems like a question Fulton and DeKalb would want to answer. I don't think either one of them is swimming in excess jobs.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,729,238 times
Quote:
Do we want to subsidize people from Clayton County coming into Fulton and DeKalb and taking jobs and/or driving down wages?

I don't know the answer, it just seems like a question Fulton and DeKalb would want to answer. I don't think either one of them is swimming in excess jobs
WTF? How would we, the citizens of DeKalb and Fulton, be subsidizing Clayton County? MARTA would get a whole other county paying the sales tax and expand into an area that wants the service. And how would people from our own region drive down wages? I just want them citizens of Clayton County that cannot afford a car, to be able to get to jobs and schools in the metro area.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,338,726 times
Quote:
That's not what it is. the #1 reason for poverty is no access to jobs= Clayton County. If we allow the citizens of Clayton County to vote for the MARTA sales tax then they can get access to transit and get to work or classes at Clayton State and get better jobs to move. Don't worry corndog, you won't have to pay the sales tax and you get to keep driving your car.
If Clayton County sucks so bad, then move. Move to where the jobs are. Get on a bus, take a cab, hitch hike with a suitcase and move. It really is not that hard. If you are out of work and really bad off, that would seem to be the logical route to take. Stop using access to transit as an excuse as to why the lazy can't make logical life choices.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If Clayton County sucks so bad, then move. Move to where the jobs are. Get on a bus, take a cab, hitch hike with a suitcase and move. It really is not that hard. If you are out of work and really bad off, that would seem to be the logical route to take. Stop using access to transit as an excuse as to why the lazy can't make logical life choices.
Its not that easy, people have kids in schools, family that they may need to take care of, and roots in an area. Try and put your selfish self in their position. FML!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,534,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Typical southern response.

"I don't care how hard it is for you, what your circumstances are, etc... 'I' believe that the circumstances can't be so bad that you can't move, and if you don't like it you should..."

I believe this is what has kept progress and smart people out for so long.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM

49 posts, read 74,902 times
If the county wants to finance the transit, join the system, and support the flagship transit agency, why not let them? I don't see how this could harm the parties in question (Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton).

I personally do know of MANY people in Clayton County who were derailed by the loss of C-Tran (already a poor system as it was) and couldn't get to their jobs (ie: The airport) . There is ALSO a major regional university in this county that people were commuting to and from on the system. Some of those students did have to drop out as well.

I think it's more complicated than: "Transit will fix Clayton County", or "If you need public transit, then move to it". Everyone's situation is different. But, what could be the harm in letting these people have a BINDING vote? Commissioner Bell needs to see that and quit being stuck on stupid on this issue..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM

230 posts, read 490,960 times
Dear Clayton County: Quit Being Stupid

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,569,764 times
Quote:
WTF? How would we, the citizens of DeKalb and Fulton, be subsidizing Clayton County? .
I thought Clayton said they shut down C-tran because they couldn't afford it. Doesn't that imply they'd have to be subsidized by MARTA too?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I thought Clayton said they shut down C-tran because they couldn't afford it. Doesn't that imply they'd have to be subsidized by MARTA too?
They were supporting it from the general fund. We are talking about Clayton County passing the MARTA sales tax and the biggest transit agency in the SE running buses to Clayton County.
Does GRTA run buses to Clayton County? If not then why don't they run buses from Clayton County to College Park Station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta