Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times

Advertisements

Apple selectively chooses where they want their stores. There are plenty of areas around the US where an apple store would be ripe for the picking but isn't there. Apple has no competition so they don't NEED to be in many places that every other type of store who has competition needs to be. People are going to buy their products anyway. Also in this day and age Apple doesn't need more stores when you can buy all of their products online. One or two stores in the most populated areas of a state is enough for Apple to have a presence for who people want to buy their products. People flock to their stores regardless of the location when they really want an Apple product. You ever see an Apple store close down like other retail stores?

It has nothing to do with black and white. It's all dollars and cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times
I think that Apple should open up a large store on Peachtree in Midtown. Based on where the Apple stores are located in major cities like NY, San Fran, etc, I assume they look at more than the areas race and income levels. It's seems that they look to position them in the "young" "hip" areas as well. I can't believe that they do not have at least one retail location intown yet.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
OK, well, leave out Apple.

The Stonecrest Area should still have a lot/most of the stuff that has been mentioned.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The Stonecrest Area should still have a lot/most of the stuff that has been mentioned.
Exactly.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM

341 posts, read 761,937 times
Apple will definitely NOT open at Stonecrest. They only open in malls that are at least slightly upscale, usually alongside stores such as Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, etc. and Stonecrest doesn't have them. Stonecrest is the only good mall in the area, and is much better than any of the other malls in Dekalb county, except for Perimeter.

If you look at all of the income levels of the areas with Apple stores in Atlanta, they are all very high. One exclusion is Buford (Mall of Georgia) but it is a destination mall and attracts more people, plus it is the only true mall in Gwinnett County which does have higher income areas, just not that close to the mall.

Really the only Apple store I could see opening in Atlanta is downtown, and if they're lucky maybe one of the Avenues centers in Cobb or Town Center Mall will get one.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
^^ When the heck did Northpoint mall (which has an apple store) become upscale? Try again with your analysis.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
^^ When the heck did Northpoint mall (which has an apple store) become upscale? Try again with your analysis.

North Point Mall, brotha-man, has been upscale since it opened in 1993.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
North Point Mall, brotha-man, has been upscale since it opened in 1993.
What on earth is upscale about that mall? American Eagle?

Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
What on earth is upscale about that mall? American Eagle?
North Point is a very eclectic mall, with a Sears and a Von Maur (which is like a Bloomingdales or Nordstroms in terms of services and price points). However, North Point attracts shoppers from very high income areas in N. Fulton and Forsyth as well as parts of Gwinnett.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM

341 posts, read 761,937 times
American Eagle???? You just pick a random middle class store and act like stores similar to that are all in Northpoint?? Northpoint isn't all that upscale, but it is okay and definitely is somewhat upscale. Look at all of the stores that NorthPoint has that Stonecrest doesn't:

Abercrombie Kids
Abercrombie & Fitch
Ann Taylor
Apple
Banana Republic
Bare Escentuals
California Pizza Kitchen
Cheesecake Factory
Guess
Godiva
H&M
J. Crew
L'occitane
Lucky Brand
Michael Kors
Pottery Barn
Pottery Barn Kids
Sephora
Teavana
Williams-Sonoma
etc.
There are many more, but I really just got tired of listing so many.

I don't think I like Von Maur very much. I wouldn't put them on the level of Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's. I would kind of put them more in between them and Dillard's. The stores look like an even tackier 1990's Nordstrom. I haven't seen one in person, but at least it was better than the Belk that used to be there.

Lithonia has a median income of around 30K, whereas Alpharetta has 90K.

This seems to be the correct order, starting with the most luxurious/upscale
1-Phipps
2-Lenox
3-Perimeter
4-Mall of Georgia
5-Northpoint
6-Town Center at Cobb
7-Arbor Place/Cumberland
8-Gwinnett Place/Stonecrest

I don't think Apple will expand to any other mall except for *maybe* Town Center.

Last edited by ct36; 08-30-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta