Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We've got a little one that we'd like to start in Montessori school next Fall.
He will be 2.5 so we are looking at Primary programs.
We'd like to start him out in a 2 or 3 day half-day program.
Unfortunately, seems that most programs are five day and we think this a bit much for a 2.5 year old.
Anyone got any recommendations for 2 or 3 day half-day programs?
We're ok with him going five days a week when he is 4 or 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM

74 posts, read 185,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Hi Everyone,
We've got a little one that we'd like to start in Montessori school next Fall.
He will be 2.5 so we are looking at Primary programs.
We'd like to start him out in a 2 or 3 day half-day program.
Unfortunately, seems that most programs are five day and we think this a bit much for a 2.5 year old.
Anyone got any recommendations for 2 or 3 day half-day programs?
We're ok with him going five days a week when he is 4 or 5.
I'm pretty sure all the Montessori schools have 5 day programs, it's part of the philosophy. I was looking at this when we were considering Montessori last year. However, there may be a school that isn't a strict Montessori school that would offer less days. If you tell me what area you are looking in I might be able to suggest some schools that do have 2 or 3 day programs.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 PM

418 posts, read 906,351 times
There are programs all over this metro area. If you tell us where you're looking perhaps we can help. I use to love the Montessori method but it's almost cult-like and home schoolish down here.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks Argecash. We are willing to drive anywhere north-south between Peachtree City and Sandy Springs and east-west anywhere between Smyrna and Buckhead.
@Wannabe, what have you experienced that makes you refer to the method as "cult-like and home schoolish" do tell!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM

74 posts, read 185,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Thanks Argecash. We are willing to drive anywhere north-south between Peachtree City and Sandy Springs and east-west anywhere between Smyrna and Buckhead.
@Wannabe, what have you experienced that makes you refer to the method as "cult-like and home schoolish" do tell!
I really don't think you'll find an accredited Montessori school with a program that is less than 5 days. However, there are many preschools that offer 2-3 days that aren't Montessori. The Waldorf School of Atlanta offers a 3 day program for 3 year olds and a 1 day program for younger children. Many neighborhood churches offer 2-3 day programs. There are also some neighborhood schools like Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool, Atlanta Progressive Preschool, and Grant Park Cooperative Preschool.

You could always have your child start at one preschool and switch to Montessori at age 4. That is usually the oldest they will accept a new child. If you want to find an accredited Montessori school you can look at the websites for the AMI or AMS.

School Locator | AMI USA
Find a School | American Montessori Society

We actually had a bad experience with our son at a Montessori school last year and have moved him to another school this year.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 PM

Thanks Argecash. Good information. Also, do you mind sharing your experience with the Montessori school? We are just venturing into this arena and so, to hear that you had a bad experience, is really alarming. I appreciate your input greatly.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Also, thanks for the links. I was (naively) taking the schools at their words that they are AMI accredited (or AMS accredited). In this day and age, everything should be checked! Thanks.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM

Oh my! Two of the three schools that I was looking at are not even accredited!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,894 times
You might as well have your kid play outside. He or she would probably learn more than at a Montessori "school".

Montessori schools operate on the flawed concept of "let the children decide what they want to learn".

Really? A child that is ignorant to the world gets to "choose" what he or she wants to learn?

Furthermore, they usually only "study" a few topics in a year, one's the child has "chosen".

I see no benefit.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Sound of Reason,
I think there is a bit more to what you mentioned.
From what I understand, the children get to choose what they want to learn - but to an extent. They still have to complete certain material before they can progress within the class. Also, I have read that the "guide" will "guide" a student to other material (if the guide is any good) after the child lingers too long on something that the child has mastered. So, I don't think it's quite as simple as you have laid out.
If it was, I don't think Montessori students would be so far ahead of other children when they transition into non-Montessori environments.
Also, what do you mean they only study a few topics a year. In the schools that I am researching (you can check out the websites by simply clicking on the curriculum tab at any Montessoris school on the internet), 3-6 year olds study math, language arts, reading, social studies/geography/culture, science/environment, practical life skills, grace and courtesy, and a foreign language. That seems like more than what most 3-6 year olds are studying. Don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta