Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 PM

92 posts, read 231,226 times

Advertisements

Which suburbs of Atlanta, if there are any, are truly 'real' towns, other than Decatur? What I mean is, are they all just a big smattering of cul-de-sacs where the majority of houses appear similar? Or do any of them actually have a downtown district, a historic district, a place where you know you are really in a different town instead of just another development with a glamorized name? I'd like to know because when i come up to visit Stone Mountain, tour Atlanta's sites, or go to Six Flags, I may want to take a side trip to check them out. Otherwise if they are your 'run of the mill' suburban development type towns, I will do my best to avoid them. I really would not be missing anything in one of those types of places, because as far as I am concerned, they look nearly the same no matter what part of the country you are in, other than Florida or any other region where palm trees are abundant. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Yes, lots of places.

Marietta has a sizable and active historic town square.
On the southside, Newnan, Senoia, Griffin and McDonough have nice downtowns and historic districts.

I know there is a lot more, but these are the ones I am familiar with.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Lots of historic downtowns.

Few on the scale of Decatur, but you will find downtowns in:

Norcross
Duluth
Suwanee
Roswell
Marietta

And aside from downtowns, you can find other interesting things, like the tons of ethnic businesses in Chamblee.

Most of the better known suburbs of Atlanta have their own distinct feels. But most of them also have Panera, Chilis, and Publix as well.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Newnan, Marietta, Cartersville, Canton, Roswell, Buford, Gainesville, Lawrenceville, Conyers, Covington, McDonough, Senoia, College Park all have very nice town centers that harken back to a day when Metro Atlanta wasn't so big.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
Roswell has a historic district with three homes/plantations open for tours- the Bulloch House was the birthplace of Theodore Roosevelt's mother. Canton Street is lined with restaurants and shops (check out Alive After 5 on the third Thursdays from April-October when it is filled with bands, venders, activities). The Chattahootchee Nature Center is just down the road and there are lots of activities along/in the river including bike riding, kayaks, canoes.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
You might find this other recent thread on new-jerseyish towns useful...
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...luth-city.html

Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Almost all Atlanta suburbs have a downtown (usually an historic one) that is worth visiting. They might be sitting amid a sea of subdivisions and shopping centers, but they certainly exist. Decatur, Newnan, and Marietta are some of the best ones in my opinion, but there are lots of smaller historic downtown areas like Fairburn, Vinings and College Park as well.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

396 posts, read 601,494 times
woodstock has a surprising new-urbanist downtown built up around a tiny amount of historic shops. i also drove through college park and east point a couple of days ago... between the downtowns of each, plus a few rehabbed warehouse lofts and other density in between, that is easily the third largest suburban "downtown" after decatur and marietta.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
woodstock has a surprising new-urbanist downtown built up around a tiny amount of historic shops. i also drove through college park and east point a couple of days ago... between the downtowns of each, plus a few rehabbed warehouse lofts and other density in between, that is easily the third largest suburban "downtown" after decatur and marietta.
Easily, along with Hapeville, the area has a culture and identity all it's own that is distinctly industrial and working class. Of course, a lot of people on these boards are scared silly at the thought of ever stepping foot in those areas. This used to cause me a large amount of chagrin, but not any more: There's barely a hipster to be found in the Tri-Cities.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM

396 posts, read 601,494 times
my partner and i almost moved into an awesome house in east point not too far from woodward academy... but it's so far from the center of gravity of the metro atlanta blob somewhere around dunwoody... and he plays tennis with friends even further north than that. would have been too much driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta