Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,923 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My wife and I are planning to move from the DC area to Atlanta soon (hopefully January 2011). At some point in the near future we would like to buy a house but for now we are looking for recommendations for specific areas to rent. I will be working downtown about two blocks from the Five Points MARTA station. We are hoping to find a place to rent with relatively easy access to my work location (30-45 minute commute) in a very safe neighborhood.

My answers to the requested info :
1. Budget - $1000 or less
2. House/Condo/Townhome? – Prefer a townhouse or house.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- I will have a job near Five Points.
4. Children(public school vs. private)- None – but planning to have kids in the near future.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Mix…but not a big priority.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Yes, but I could also drive to work as well.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Families and or young professionals. My wife and I are both in our 30s.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 PM

87 posts, read 195,059 times
PM me for details.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Live in the DC area. Good luck. Being from DC you're used to bad traffic and humid summers. But hey no more snow shovel for you and way cheaper housing. I love DC and VA but the housing costs is starting to frustrate me for sure.

Personally I love Midtown but it can be kinda pricy and def not going to have that suburban lifestyle. Inman Park is nice and you can take the MARTA. Druid Hills is an option. You shouldn't have a problem finding a nice condo in Dunwoody but probably not a SFH. Brookland has some condos to consider. I hear good things about East Atlanta as well.

Don't know if you use the metro up here or not but I would say that MARTA doens't take you as many places as Metro.

The Perimeter is pretty much the same as the Beltway. So outside the Perimeter I'd say any north Atlanta suburb will do. Cobb and Gwinnett counties are comparable to Fairfax and Montgomery counties. South of Atlanta is cheaper though Henry and Fayette counties are nice. Not sure if that 45 minute commute will be acheived from those places though.

Either way good luck!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 PM

86 posts, read 164,595 times
Granola82 - Are you still on here? Wondering how your transition went from DC to Atlanta as my family is moving to Atlanta from DC in about 30 days. My husband will also be near Five Points. Where did you end up?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM

86 posts, read 164,595 times
I am moving from Montgomery County, MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: