Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 AM

164 posts, read 375,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Yeah but it seems like that unlike SF an NYC, our restaurants are fast/junk fooderies, fried crapperies, waffle houseries, or grease-burger jointeries. Which explains why that's all anyone has suggested so far.

God help ya if you're not in the mood for a burger.

That or tacos. Blech.
what are you talking about... give me some specific restaurants.

ATL has some of the best foodie joints in the country.
Best restaurant areas are around Midtown/Virginia Highlands/Decatur/Vinings. BTW every food genre is represented in some fashion in ATL.

so before you bash the city with a baseless attack... tell me what restaurants you are referring to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM

164 posts, read 375,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
With apps like Yelp and GPS enabled devices, it's relatively easy to avoid the terrible places.

I'd do a quick bit of research on any unknown place before going to make sure it doesn't have universally terrible reviews.

AGREE! I use Yelp every time. Go by the # of reviews and not the stars (elite members and few reviews can skew the average).

Also, Scoutmob was invented in Atlanta. Use Scoutmob to try restaurants without a lot of reviews (they are usually just opened or really bad restaurants but if they are bad you only pay 50% + gratuity).

Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Also, Scoutmob was invented in Atlanta. Use Scoutmob to try restaurants without a lot of reviews (they are usually just opened or really bad restaurants but if they are bad you only pay 50% + gratuity).
ScoutMob is a great way to discover new restaurants in the city and get a deal.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
Best restaurant areas are around Midtown/Virginia Highlands/Decatur/Vinings.
I would add the Buckhead neighborhoods, Inman Park and Roswell Road. There are zillions of other great eating places around town but they are not quite as concentrated.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM

368 posts, read 539,329 times
Heck, Atlanta is so chock-full of good restaurants that even the AIRPORT has a unique top notch place to eat (One Flew South).

Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Yeah! Burger for, well, burgers.

Canoe in the summer for outdoor dinner.

Alfredo's for Italian.

El Nuevo Laredo Cantina for Mexican.

Desta for Ethiopian.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM

403 posts, read 619,657 times
Rathbun's & Rathbun's Steak are both great. So is Woodfire Grill, Blue Ridge Grill; Restaurant Eugene etc. etc. Yelp & Sagat could quickly render this thread useless.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I gotta say, the management at Rathbun's steak doesn't know what it is doing.

I remember eating there a couple of years ago and it was on a night where there were pretty bad thunderstorms. The power went out when we were eating our salads and the staff was pretty good about telling us we could wait if we wanted to in case the power popped back on. After about 30 minutes it didn't, and they decided to close down food service for the night.

I felt kind of bad for them because they probably did have to throw away a lot of expensive food that went bad. The server then came to close our bills and had to write down our credit card info since the machines were down. And that was it, we paid and left.

Now, I know the power outage was not the restaurant's fault at all. But it seems to me that you would at least give a discount coupon to come back another time. Or offer a complimentary drink voucher. Or comp the salads for that night. Or say "we're going to throw everything on the grill so it won't go bad, if you want to have some food you didn't order, it will be half price." Or just any incentive to make the inconvenienced people want to come back. Of course they aren't obligated to do anything, but it shows that they don't know what you would hope a high-end restaurant would about service recovery.

I don't know if the steaks are good or not because I didn't get to have one, but there are way too many places to get good steak in Atlanta for me to go somewhere that doesn't know how to treat customers right. It's not a huge flaw, but it just shows a level of oversight that was enough to make me never go back.

This was a couple of years ago, maybe they have better management now. That's just my soapbox on Rathbun's Steak!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:03 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
My current favorites are:
Sun In My Belly
The Shed at Glenwood

Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
Rathbun's & Rathbun's Steak are both great. So is Woodfire Grill, Blue Ridge Grill; Restaurant Eugene etc. etc. Yelp & Sagat could quickly render this thread useless.
Sagat? You mean Zagat? I don't trust Zagat. I've read too many glowing reviews on sub-par restaurants in Zagat. The ratings seemed rather inflated for some places, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta