Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times

Advertisements

So this past weekend we went to the world's most monstrously huge soccer tournament. The lovely park, the name of which escapes me, was off Hawkins Store Road. We also played some games at Kell High School. My question is, where exactly were we? Is that the much-storied East Cobb? I'm pretty sure at one point we were in Cherokee County, but I was too busy making sure we didn't miss our turn offs that I'm not sure. Anyway I loved it out there! During the break between games we drove around and looked at some of the subdivisions. Beautiful. Kell High School was very impressive. What are some of the feeder schools? Are they good? Aside from being a lovely campus is Kell a good high school?

We have pretty much decided that we've got to get out of DeKalb. Ideally we want out of Atlanta ltogether, but Plan B is to relocate out of the county. We had initially thought Alpharetta would be our only option, but the husband is now willing to look at anything with less than a thirty minute commute. Having said that, the schools must be stellar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
According to Google, you were at Canterberry Park and Noonday Creek Park which are in Kennesaw.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Kennesaw/Woodstock area. I haven't driven past that area in many years so I can't say much except that it is a good 40+ min drive from town. Where would your husband have to commute to?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM

He'd be commuting to Chamblee. It was about thirty minutes when we drove it, but that was on a weekend.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Yeah that is a nice area. The only real drawback is the distance from town, but if he is only commuting to Chamblee (not downtown) then it shouldn't be so bad. Kell is a good school, but it is not usually mentioned up there with Walton, etc, as Cobb high schools go.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I was skimming through the thread titles and had to stop at this one! Others can answer the school questions with more knowledge than I but I can give you the geography.

I have been down that road so many times! You were between Bells Ferry Road and Georgia 5 (Canton Highway). In the dark ages (before 575, 515) this was the road to Woodstock, Canton, Jasper, etc. The commute is the "booger bear". I just moved back from Cobb to Tennessee at the first of the summer and do not miss any traffic.

For your information and others: good area to live and your instincts were correct. This area is right on the Cobb/ Cherokee line. There is a subdivision near Kell (Willow Creek, I think) that is half in Cherokee and half in Cobb. It's convenient ... Town Center and Canton Road/Bells Ferry Road have everything you need for daily living, shopping, etc. There's also a shopping area with all of the chains at 92 and 575. Woodstock's older downtown is charming and it's a short distance to Roswell on 92.

This section of Cobb County has many addresses. The actual town of Kennesaw is west of 575 and 75 and the surface street to it is Shallowford/Shiloh Road (straight shot -- changes names). There are some Marietta addresses and even a few Roswell addresses a little further out.

Good luck with the move. I grew up and lived in Atlanta area but it has changed too much -- which is why my status is "glad to be a Volunteer again!"

Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
So this past weekend we went to the world's most monstrously huge soccer tournament. The lovely park, the name of which escapes me, was off Hawkins Store Road. We also played some games at Kell High School. My question is, where exactly were we? Is that the much-storied East Cobb? I'm pretty sure at one point we were in Cherokee County, but I was too busy making sure we didn't miss our turn offs that I'm not sure. Anyway I loved it out there! During the break between games we drove around and looked at some of the subdivisions. Beautiful. Kell High School was very impressive. What are some of the feeder schools?* Are they good? Aside from being a lovely campus is Kell a good high school?

We have pretty much decided that we've got to get out of DeKalb. Ideally we want out of Atlanta ltogether, but Plan B is to relocate out of the county. We had initially thought Alpharetta would be our only option, but the husband is now willing to look at anything with less than a thirty minute commute. Having said that, the schools must be stellar.
Rozzie--

I could describe the Kell/Sprayberry Area in detail for you, but it would not be a good commute to Chamblee--at all. Kell High and Sprayberry High are good schools.

Yes, that area is the western fringes of "East Cobb." And the schools are good*. Hawkins Store Road connects Canton Road and Bells Ferry Road--and goes under I-575. Once you go west of I-575, you are no longer in East Cobb--you would have crossed into "North Cobb". South of the Bells Ferry/I-575 intersection, Bells Ferry Road is the western boundary of East Cobb.

Considering your impression of this western part of East Cobb, I highly recommend that you consider the Parkview High Area of Gwinnett County. Similar look/feel/amenities/prices--and great schools as well.

The Parkview High Area would offer a much, much better commute to Chamblee. You will like.

*The feeder schools for Kell High are:

McCleskey Middle
Palmer Middle
Keheley Elementary
Nicholson Elementary
Blackwell Elementary
Pitner Elementary
Chalker Elementary

*The feeder schools for Sprayberry High are:

Simpson Middle
Daniell Middle
McCleskey Middle
Mountain View Elementary
Addison Elementary
Kincaid Elementary
Nicholson Elementary
Blackwell Elementary
Chalker Elementary
Bells Ferry Elementary
Sedalia Park Elementary

*But hey, this doesn't really matter--because you should now be considering the Parkview High Area, right?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Oh Good Lord Aries, you're right, (as usual) it looks awesome and the houses, wow!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Oh Good Lord Aries, you're right, (as usual) it looks awesome and the houses, wow!
Are you talking about the Parkview High Area???

Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Are you talking about the Parkview High Area???
Yes I am! The houses are fab and the schools look incredible. Just one question, is there any likelihood Gwinnett Schools will crash and burn the way Dekalb has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta