Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,405 times

Advertisements

Anybody who misses a radio station that much seriously needs to get an mp3 player.

Mediocre music and commercials... Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM

236 posts, read 698,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Anybody who misses a radio station that much seriously needs to get an mp3 player.

Mediocre music and commercials... Yay!
Was thinking the same thing...how in the world do the radio stations time commercial breaks so you can't even switch to an alternative station to avoid another 'one call, that's all' ad? The radio went out in my car 3 years ago and there's nothing I miss enough to replace it.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapowermike View Post
The radio went out in my car 3 years ago and there's nothing I miss enough to replace it.
Really? How are you staying on top of all the Sean Hannity talking points?

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
i didn't like project 9-6-1 in the first place, too much metal and emo music... i think the reason they dropped the format is because that kind of music is getting less popular. i agree that it was geared towards suburban white kids— now the kids (of which i'm one) have grown up and decided to stop whining about having to meet society's commuter-cubicle-worker standards and move into town and be unabashedly weird. so the whole project 9-6-1 probably found itself with fewer and fewer listeners every year.

as for radio, honestly there's really only one radio station in town that is good all the time— album 88 (88.5 FM). it's the only station i know of where you can call in and actually get whatever you requested played, no matter what it is. plus they have some great shows like tower of song on tuesday night even though the host is kind of poopy, and if you want to listen tonight, macaroni radio starts playing at midnight.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 AM

236 posts, read 698,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Really? How are you staying on top of all the Sean Hannity talking points?
Funny you'd mention that guy...every time I happen to hear him I lose a few brain cells.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM

52 posts, read 103,304 times
My car came with an HD radio (no satellite) and the more "alternative" HD frequency of Project 96.1 ("Project 96-2") was still on this afternoon. That gives me some hope. Otherwise it looks like I'm taking my car in for satellite. Someone on another topic said 99x is switching too.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Some posters need to learn what "emo" is. Disturbed and Linkin Park does not count.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i didn't like project 9-6-1 in the first place, too much metal and emo music... i think the reason they dropped the format is because that kind of music is getting less popular. i agree that it was geared towards suburban white kids— now the kids (of which i'm one) have grown up and decided to stop whining about having to meet society's commuter-cubicle-worker standards and move into town and be unabashedly weird. so the whole project 9-6-1 probably found itself with fewer and fewer listeners every year.

as for radio, honestly there's really only one radio station in town that is good all the time— album 88 (88.5 FM). it's the only station i know of where you can call in and actually get whatever you requested played, no matter what it is. plus they have some great shows like tower of song on tuesday night even though the host is kind of poopy, and if you want to listen tonight, macaroni radio starts playing at midnight.
So now they are listening to Rhianna? Slipknot got old?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

So if you're a girl between the ages of 15 and 34, congratulations. You own terrestrial radio now, every other demographic cohort be damned.
Pretty much. But don't forget all the terrible country aimed at reminiscent middle class baby boomers and rap brought to you by the AUTOLYRICS GENERATOR 3000....

Insert phrase about money---Insert phrase about hos --- Insert random words that sounds tough because a black guy is saying it --- Insert phrase about how great *____* is --- Insert random YEA --- Insert phrase about money --- Insert phrase about hos --- Insert random YEA --- Insert phrase about getting high --- Insert phrase about random luxury car --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA ---Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA --- Insert random YEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I hated Project 9-6-1 and it's emo-aggro-buttrock aimed at meth heads.
Project 961 was for people who don't know better. They constantly played music from 10 years ago that was TERRIBLE when in came out. Trapt, Staind, POD...are you kidding me?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They are a business and made a business decision. They must think Atlanta is a big enough market to support 4 pop stations....hmm, that's hard to imagine. But I do think there are subgenres. Like the reason I like 105.7 is because it has much more dance club sensibility than the other pop stations, it will play more dance oriented music, mix in some hip hop, and even have real DJs do mixes.

Q100, and to a larger degree Star 94, tend to play safe pop music. They'll play the same Katy Perry and Maroon 5 records over and over all day long. At least 105.7 skews a little trendier.

My guess is that rock is really a genre that is being so well served by satellite and services like Pandora that it doesn't make sense to put on terrestrial radio anymore. Since pop changes so frequently, it makes more sense to program it. People need to be programmed to so they are forced to hear what is hot and new. It also lends itself to easier advertising and partnerships since most of Atlanta's nightlife is centered around the mainstream. Pop music is also one of the formats where localization matters because so much of it is centered around local clubs, local concerts, and the personality of a location. Sometimes different tracks get much more or less popular in different markets. So it's much more difficult to pull off on a national scale.

My point is, Clear Channel didn't just decide they don't like rock so they pulled the plug. It must have made more business sense to go pop. If it turns out there is money to be made in rock, I'm sure someone else will step up and launch a rock station.
I mostly agree.

I realize for many here... I'm just being the bearer of bad news, but check out a website called stationratings.com

You can get arbitron ratings for the radio stations that pay for arbitron ratings and allow them to be posted. (It includes many major stations in the market, but not a majority)... still interesting nonetheless.

What I wanted to spot out is the 3 pop stations are doing stronger than average. Two of which are in the top 5 for the market.

This clearly means there is room for another. I wouldn't be surprised to be more semi-niching within the genre. For econ nerds out there... consider Hotelling's theory of optimal location.

WKLS' ratings were luke warm given their transmitter strength (coverage area) and position on the dial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: