Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Maybe San Francisco, but your point is well taken.

I listen to nothing but Spotify in my car, so radio is a non-issue for me.

Atlanta radio is TERRIBLE as large cities go. Worst in America actually.

So I'll ask you the same question since you made that last statement; what cities actually do better then Sattlite or spotify? What is your taste in music so we have a reference or comparison to go by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
Personally, I like 107.9. Seems as good as the hip hop station in NYC and Minneapolis.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:27 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Please tell me what city outside of NYC has more then a few good radio station that are better then Satellite or Spotify. Then tell us what your taste in music is so we know why you might think that.
I don't think any commercial radio market can compete with satellite, because of the ads. You'd have to compare apples to apples.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I don't think any commercial radio market can compete with satellite, because of the ads. You'd have to compare apples to apples.

If you listen to anything but talk on the radio chances are the radio fits your taste in music no matter where you go. Clear channel is gonna repeat the same garbage everywhere unless you listen college stations like 88.5 that play indie label and non mainstream stuff.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
It's almost like there is a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts to Atlanta and the radio industry in general. The radio industry claims that it only plays what people want to hear. But at the same time what people want to play, the radio industry refuses to play it...at least on terrestrial radio.

It almost seems as if the radio industry is purposely pushing rock & metal stations off the mainstream radio channels and into satellite radio. Maybe that's because the powers-that-be in the media industry figure that men more that women will more likely pay for this stuff.

But what's truly sad is that I like rock and metal music...but I can't afford to pay monthly for satellite radio. I don't even pay monthly for cable tv. My yearly income simply doesn't support monthly paid entertainment. So I guess it's the white male demographic that's being sought after here. Black men need not apply...as usual.

One more reason why I despise mega-corporations with passion. Beyond what's on the internet, there is for all practical purposes, no real choice in entertainment in this country for people who do not fit the mainstream demographic; or any other cliched box that the corporate marketing industry likes to invent for certain cultural segments of American society.

So much for the de-regulation of the media industry allowing for greater freedom of choice.

Telecommunications Act of 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just how in the heck did we Americans got conned into buying that lying sack of dogcrap?

How!?!

And why won't we trust-bust the media industry like the old days when it was cool to kick the snot out of huge mega-corporations?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM

52 posts, read 103,348 times
Project 96-2 (HD2) was still on this afternoon. I can't stand how everything is either bubble gum pop or annoying hip-hop. I'm a modern alternative guy which leaves me with 96-2 if it stays on or shelling out some dough for satellite.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM

397 posts, read 843,190 times
Sirius/XM.

The local stations and personalities are unbearable. Think about it. TV for the most part (except for local news and a few other exceptions) is nationally produced and delivered. Why not radio? You can't have top quality programming in every local market.

I'll switch from Satellite to teresstrial once and a rare while just to check it out, it truly sounds amatuer after listing to satellite.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's almost like there is a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts to Atlanta and the radio industry in general. The radio industry claims that it only plays what people want to hear. But at the same time what people want to play, the radio industry refuses to play it...at least on terrestrial radio.

It almost seems as if the radio industry is purposely pushing rock & metal stations off the mainstream radio channels and into satellite radio. Maybe that's because the powers-that-be in the media industry figure that men more that women will more likely pay for this stuff.

But what's truly sad is that I like rock and metal music...but I can't afford to pay monthly for satellite radio. I don't even pay monthly for cable tv. My yearly income simply doesn't support monthly paid entertainment. So I guess it's the white male demographic that's being sought after here. Black men need not apply...as usual.

One more reason why I despise mega-corporations with passion. Beyond what's on the internet, there is for all practical purposes, no real choice in entertainment in this country for people who do not fit the mainstream demographic; or any other cliched box that the corporate marketing industry likes to invent for certain cultural segments of American society.

So much for the de-regulation of the media industry allowing for greater freedom of choice.

Telecommunications Act of 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just how in the heck did we Americans got conned into buying that lying sack of dogcrap?

How!?!

And why won't we trust-bust the media industry like the old days when it was cool to kick the snot out of huge mega-corporations?

Only white males can afford Internet and Sattelite?

You want the government to run our radio station and some how make them play good music?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I understand why you're upset. The arguments made are common ones, but they just don't quite add up.

Keep in mind the powers that be are actually many different media companies that are outright competing with one another.

During the XM and Sirius merger fiasco, which should have never been allowed to happen, the NAB (national association of broadcasters... the main industry association for radio station owners) lobbied heavily against the merger from concern of competition from that industry altogether.

So the broadcasters have different financial interests from those that own satellite radio. They are directly competing over portions of the market, but they both have control of some different markets where they don't compete.

The main point I'm making... is thre aren't working together and have competing interests. If radio drops a demographic more, it is because they are having a tougher time competing for that demographic naturally.... not because they are willing to give up that demographic to satellite radio. That also means... it isn't really their fault. They are adjusting to market (listeners) behaviors.

The other odd thing that is happening, for those that have it.., is satellite radio is spoiling some people.

There have been several interesting academic studies in the past. At least when it comes to overall formats (niche types of music), monopolies or high concentrations of market control lead to a greater variety of niche stations. A more competitive market actually leads to less. (now I'm not arguing for this, for other reasons... too much control over mass communication outlets have too many ripple effects through political influences, control, social influences, etc..., but it is important to understand how the market dynamics work.

If we look at our monopoly (at least once someone opts-in and pays for it), the satellite radio company, they can have 200 stations all different from one another and are frequently micro-niched formats.

The important thing is all 200 of their stations do not have to compete with one another. It doesn't matter if one or two stations capture 20% of listeners and others only capture 0.2%. Since they have control of the whole spectrum of 200 stations, their goal is to make sure as many potential listeners are happy.

In a competitive market where more stations are owned by different companies the opposite happens. If you have a single station format out of 200 (just pretend there are 200 for direct comparisons), that gets 20% of listeners all of the other broadcast companies will see that and try to capture a piece of that 20%, rather than choosing a micro-niche format that captures 0.2%. This means you alot of stations playing pop music or in some markets country.

In a monopoly: the goal is to make as many listeners as possible listen to radio; make the pie big as possible.

In competition: You're less concerned about the market pie size, but also how big your slice is.... you see more direct competing of the same format.

The reason I mention this is pop music... really is ...well popular I Know people don't like it, but they really do blend alot of elements from different types of music (hip hop, country, rock, etc...), even though they are very different. They avoid more divisive topics and create huge mass markets. They also generate music a diverse group of listeners are more likely to commonly associate with in multiple listener settings.

This is why Atlanta has several pop stations and broadcasters are creating more. They are are actually separate companies competing with one another.

The real reason I think rock/metal, in particular, is getting hit hard. Their audience has always been traditionally males, but also younger males. Teens and guys in their 20s. They listen to alot of music and it is one their prime picks.

The competitive problem, while satellite radio matters, is actually coming more from MP3/ipod, and online music services. The prime market for rock/metal, also happens to be the listener demographic that was first to abandon radio in large numbers.

This demographic is traditionally very early adopters of technology and much much much more likely to listen to music on their ipod, demand ipod connections for their cars, and at home are more likely to play music on pandora (and others) on their computer. I just recently bought a new car and I saw a very interesting phenomena. Many cheaper, small cars (like the Kia Soul) often marketed towards younger drivers and guys are more likely to have an ipod USB plug as a standard basic feature, as opposed to an optional upgrade. A more expensive car, say $28,000+, also have these standard. However mid-prices cars in between, don't have them standard. They are often on the first upgrade package.

The reason is that key demographic demands something that prevents them from listening to the radio in the one place broadcasters have always been able to prevent competition: a portable car.

Talk radio, inversely, attracts alot of middle-age people and seniors. People who are usually late adopters or resist technology change altogether. It was a big shock that talk radio got elevated to a major FM station in Atlanta, but sadly not very surprising to me either.

Another news station sprang up. I didn't notice it at first. It is a news station, but isn't opinion news-talk. (no hatred, ranting, extreme bias viewpoints) It is simply local news. It actually sounds closer like I'm listening to someone read AJC headlines or 11 Alive.

I think broadcasters are looking for niches of things that can withstand competitive better, either because some listeners won't adopt new technology or they find a format that can't be replicated on a national level.

As for satellite radio... their biggest market is actually baby boomers and the middle-age population. It is a simpler technology and it is common in new cars and works close to how radio works (in the controls from a user stand point). The big reason is, they have stable and more expendable income. They are at their peak lifetime pay for where they are in their careers and are less likely to adopt ipods and streaming music services at home.

Several different companies have tried this and it just hasn't caught on... largely due to the popularity of the ipod they must compete with, but what you probably need is a service that will let you download a new playlist everyday to a physical device you carry with you and plug into your car. Zune did this. Slacker did this... actually did it better. Several other smaller services did this. When all else fails... use an ipod.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Good lord can you at least try to form an intellectually honest rebuttal? This nonsense sounds like Limbaugh 101.

The last sentence about claiming that I want government to run radio is just plain lazy logic. But then again I expected this when I posted the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Only white males can afford Internet and Sattelite?

You want the government to run our radio station and some how make them play good music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta