Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times

Advertisements

While there have been many who tried to downplay the Metro Atlanta area as a whole. The metro Atlanta region really does have some good things going for it despite the traffic and current real estate market.

1. We have some of the top educational institutions in country and world.

2. We have many fortune 500 companies, several which are on the Global level, which will become increasing more important. Unlike American western culture, most Eastern culture business people are relationship oriented first before they do business with you. Coke Cola, UPS, Delta, and others are paving a good foundations for the forming of new businesses with Eastern Minded business centers.

3. Despite the housing crisis, Atlanta still have some of the most beautiful houses and neighborhoods in the United States.

4. After New York, and Los Angeles, Atlanta is a strong third in Arts and Entertainment in film, and music. In some cases may even be number one. Particularly in music and some Afro American film production

5. The beltline is a jewel in disguise.

6. Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta airport is the most important engine for the southeast region. Remember Atlanta was neck and neck with Birmingham, Alabama, but the Airport push Atlanta to the capital city of the south.

7. But most importantly, what makes a great cities are the relationship you form, and the family you have to receive love from, and the job you have. I hope those reading have a chance to experience all three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
It is really just a few haters online that say otherwise about Atlanta. In real life you really don't hear that negative talk very often. Of course we all complain sometimes about the places we live from day to day, no matter if it's Atlanta or any other city in the world. But the amount of Atlanta complaining on city-data is downright epidemic. I think there are simply a handful of people on here that have some kind of ax to grind and it's like therapy for them to get on here and grind it.

I agree with the list of reasons you love Atlanta, and could add about a thousand more to it. Maybe tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Yup, I love it here, and know many many others who feel likewise. Nice list!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
I love Atlanta so much but the job market is so shaky here(from what i hear!). This isn't very encouraging to someone in their mid twenties, this the age many young people are trying secure themselves. If Atlanta doesn't turn it around i may have to lleave for Texas .

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Well there's certainly nothing wrong with looking at the bright side.

But "looking at the bright side," isn't my forte.

1.) Top educational institutions? I guess you would be talking about Tech and Emory. Meanwhile our public k-12 schools are pretty bad and there aren't really any public community colleges like there are in most other large cities. So students move here from all over the world to go to these top universities but meanwhile local kids don't have the best chances themselves to get into those schools or any schools for that matter.

3.) I really wish I was as positive as you and could also see the beauty of Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme too.
The home represents the largest part of most Americans' net worth. And when the majority of home owners are under water, all the beauty in world can't sweep that giant problem under the rug. One can say, the housing market is great because the homes are so affordable. But that's only good if you want to remain there forever and never sell. And it also assumes a salary that pays enough to pay the mortgage. And a neighborhood that isn't blighted by vacant homes and rental units.

6.) The airport may be an important economic engine but it doesn't serve the residents of the city very well. Most people hate that airport. I hated that airport long before I even moved here. It doesn't take very long to pull up threads in this forum where people are looking to live in atlanta and take jobs at the airport learn their best bet is 30 miles away from the airport and they realize this may not be the city for them afterall. Or the people that want to relocate to Atlanta and their office is in the northern suburbs and they want to live in there but also have to be close to the airport because they have to travel frequently change their mind about moving here.

7.) I would agree this is extremely important. But sprawl really makes achieving any of these things, let alone all three of them difficult.

The good news is none of these are problems that can't be solved.
The bad news is none of these are problems that are likely to be solved.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Thanks for the post.

I always chock up the Atlanta hate as jealousy. There are a lot of people that come in from other cities to tell us how Atlanta lags in one specific area and that makes it Atlanta negative as a whole. Sure, some cities might do some things better...

But I know Atlanta has the whole package: Urban, suburban, and rural. Great original restaurants. Unique places. Historic relevance. Non stop natural beauty. A regional capitol. Boatloads of future potential.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
I'm a NYer who likes Atlanta. That should say it all.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
I'm not always negative. Whoever created the weather here did a nice job!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Thanks for the post.

I always chock up the Atlanta hate as jealousy. There are a lot of people that come in from other cities to tell us how Atlanta lags in one specific area and that makes it Atlanta negative as a whole. Sure, some cities might do some things better...

But I know Atlanta has the whole package: Urban, suburban, and rural. Great original restaurants. Unique places. Historic relevance. Non stop natural beauty. A regional capitol. Boatloads of future potential.
Well said!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
1.) Top educational institutions? I guess you would be talking about Tech and Emory. Meanwhile our public k-12 schools are pretty bad and there aren't really any public community colleges like there are in most other large cities. So students move here from all over the world to go to these top universities but meanwhile local kids don't have the best chances themselves to get into those schools or any schools for that matter.
I have to disagree here. Tech and Emory are definitely top educational institutions, but let's also not forget UGA, which is a top tier public university. For students who can't get into these schools, Georgia State is a very good urban school and there are also places like West Georgia, Georgia Southern, etc. The university system in Georgia is very competitive.

Georgia also has some awesome k-12 schools. All you have to do is make sure you live in a one of the great school districts. If you are a parent, this is your number 1 job as a human being, to make sure your child gets a great education even if it means for a few years you won't be able to walk to your neighborhood bar. Atlanta has tons of great options for schools, whether you want to live in one of the great public school districts or if you have enough money to send your kids to a private school, there are tons of great options. A lot of places don't even have very good options, we do for those who are willing to take advantage of them. Even the best public school systems have affordable apartment communities in their districts, so the education is really open access to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta