Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:46 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I refuse to even comment...I think it's quite humerous honestly....
yeah, tell me about it.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 PM

399 posts, read 700,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I refuse to even comment...I think it's quite humerous honestly....
So all this fuss is about a bone??

Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
So all this fuss is about a bone??
r

Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I know. That's one of the big reasons why a lot of gay white men don't want anything to do with gay black men.
Makes absolutely no sense. While the rising incidence of HIV infection among Black gay males is something that definitely needs to be dealt with, White gay males still account for the bulk of HIV infections in the gay community:

Quote:
At the end of 2009, of the estimated 784,701 persons living with an HIV diagnosis, 396,810, or 51%, were MSM. About 48% of MSM living with an HIV diagnosis were white, 30% were black/African American, and 19% were Hispanic/Latino.
HIV among Gay and Bisexual Men | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
so why charge this guy with reckless conduct? Shouldnt it be attempted murder

Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
It's tough - because I think that's one of the issues that prevents people from getting tested. The "stigma" of having HIV is pretty rampant here, as judged by the comments and the criminalization of sexual behavior.

If you want to encourage people to get tested, I think a portion of the messaging needs to be to fight the stigma against those who are positive. I'm not proposing HIV should be treated as care free as a common cold but it no longer is the death sentence it was in the 80's - its a managable lifelong condition.

I would propose the ones who aren't getting tested and spreading the virus are doing so because they don't want to "test positive" because of the legal ramifications - even if they know they are positive based on side effects. It's a double edged sword. You want to encourage testing as early as possible to prevent the spread, but you can't victimize the people testing positive and expect others will want to get tested.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
so why charge this guy with reckless conduct? Shouldnt it be attempted murder
Nope...the onus should be on the person that had casual unsafe sex with him. I get so sick of our "blame the other guy" society. People need to take some personal responsibility.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
It's tough - because I think that's one of the issues that prevents people from getting tested. The "stigma" of having HIV is pretty rampant here, as judged by the comments and the criminalization of sexual behavior.

If you want to encourage people to get tested, I think a portion of the messaging needs to be to fight the stigma against those who are positive. I'm not proposing HIV should be treated as care free as a common cold but it no longer is the death sentence it was in the 80's - its a managable lifelong condition.

I would propose the ones who aren't getting tested and spreading the virus are doing so because they don't want to "test positive" because of the legal ramifications - even if they know they are positive based on side effects. It's a double edged sword. You want to encourage testing as early as possible to prevent the spread, but you can't victimize the people testing positive and expect others will want to get tested.
I don't really know that the "stigma" is anywhere near that serious...well, maybe it is in some respects, but the majority of people living with HIV in the U.S. are doing so very quietly. It's not like you can look at someone and tell, and testing is anonymous.

Because HIV has become a chronic disease rather than a 100% fatal one, most people who test positive are leading long productive lives in anonymity.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Wouldn't some onus also be on the HIV+ person who also knowingly had unprotected sex?

With your logic, we should not have any child support laws. Those women who had unprotected sex should have taken personal responsibility and known that pregnancy was a possible outcome.

Or if you loan your car to someone knowing the brakes don't work. Hey, he should have the car checked before driving it.

Or if you build a pool with no fence and a 3 year old neighbor drowns in it. Hey, he or his parents should have known not to let him near the danger.

What if you get hit by a drunk driver at 3am? Well, you should unerstand the dangers of driving that late at night.

You preach personal responsibility, yet you are advocating that HIV+ people have none themselves.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wouldn't some onus also be on the HIV+ person who also knowingly had unprotected sex?

With your logic, we should not have any child support laws. Those women who had unprotected sex should have taken personal responsibility and known that pregnancy was a possible outcome.

Or if you loan your car to someone knowing the brakes don't work. Hey, he should have the car checked before driving it.

Or if you build a pool with no fence and a 3 year old neighbor drowns in it. Hey, he or his parents should have known not to let him near the danger.

What if you get hit by a drunk driver at 3am? Well, you should unerstand the dangers of driving that late at night.

You preach personal responsibility, yet you are advocating that HIV+ people have none themselves.
None of that is even in the same ballpark...as usual you don't know what you're talking about. Good lord, in a pregnancy situation there is a mother AND a father. This is not pregnancy we're talking about.

I totally believe that in 2012, people should know better than to have casual unprotected sex...and if they do, it's their responsibility to deal with the possible consequences - not someone else's. If you feel differently then fine, go have as much unprotected sex as you won't. But don't be surprised when not everyone you meet discloses his/her hiv status. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't...and if you want to stay negative then it's on you to take precautions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta