Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,124,289 times

Advertisements

Hi Arge,
Oh yes, funny you should mention that! That's what I did. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 AM

Interesting Info on the Suzuki School - large class sizes and moderate student-teacher ratios
36-42 students per class (yes, in one class) and 6-8 students per teacher.
For the fairly exhorbitant tuition, this was a shocker.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM

More on Suzuki School (for anyone else interested): Mix of Montessorri and Suzuki methods, teacher-led in morning/child-led in afternoon, foreign language twice a week, ample outside/play time, music class once a week, abbreviated week possible (although all options require at full day, no half days). These features, I found to be great.
However, I cannot see placing 36-42 15 month old-35 month old children in one big room and rotating them through diff teachers depending on the day of the week/subject teached. Not for that tuition.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 AM

74 posts, read 185,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
More on Suzuki School (for anyone else interested): Mix of Montessorri and Suzuki methods, teacher-led in morning/child-led in afternoon, foreign language twice a week, ample outside/play time, music class once a week, abbreviated week possible (although all options require at full day, no half days). These features, I found to be great.
However, I cannot see placing 36-42 15 month old-35 month old children in one big room and rotating them through diff teachers depending on the day of the week/subject teached. Not for that tuition.
Maybe they got the large class thing from Montessori. There are typically large classes at Montessori schools, but I think there are usually about 30 children in a class with a lead teacher and assistant. So having more children with more teachers seems to be about the same idea.

My cousin's son is at an AMS Montessori school and there are 30 children in his class. We also toured two schools that had 25-30 children in each class.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Hi Arge,
I knew that Montessori classes had large sizes but usually not for the babies under 3. At least, in my experience, those classes tend to be no more than 8-15 children because, at that age (15 months-35 months), they really require a great deal of oversight and much more nurturing than the older children. At least this is what the two to three Montessori schools that have toddler programs told me. None of them have a toddler class larger than 15. 42 babies under the age of 3 is quite a lot to me.

Also, they are not all Montessori so it doesn't translate as well. They are teacher-led in the morning. So you have about 6 groups of children 7-8 per group in a single room, having lessons on different subject matter simultaneously.

It is also roughly 1500 per month for a five day week for toddlers and 800 per month for a 2 day week for toddlers. Roughly 3 times as much as most Montessori schools. And not all of the teachers are Montessori certified. So it's a little bit of a guess as to why the cost is so high. Maybe it's the Buckhead tax?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 AM

74 posts, read 185,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Hi Arge,
I knew that Montessori classes had large sizes but usually not for the babies under 3. At least, in my experience, those classes tend to be no more than 8-15 children because, at that age (15 months-35 months), they really require a great deal of oversight and much more nurturing than the older children. At least this is what the two to three Montessori schools that have toddler programs told me. None of them have a toddler class larger than 15. 42 babies under the age of 3 is quite a lot to me.

Also, they are not all Montessori so it doesn't translate as well. They are teacher-led in the morning. So you have about 6 groups of children 7-8 per group in a single room, having lessons on different subject matter simultaneously.

It is also roughly 1500 per month for a five day week for toddlers and 800 per month for a 2 day week for toddlers. Roughly 3 times as much as most Montessori schools. And not all of the teachers are Montessori certified. So it's a little bit of a guess as to why the cost is so high. Maybe it's the Buckhead tax?
That doesn't sound very appealing.

I thought of another school an acquaintance sent her son to with good results. It is Montessori but the class size is very small.
http://www.treeoflifemontessori.com/

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM

15 posts, read 25,771 times
Default Suzuki

Ask them if they ever made a mistake and sent the wrong kid home with a grandparent? I'd love to know the answer. Having been to three schools in Atlanta I almost home schooled until I found our present school. What a nightmare!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Buckheadmama, you have GOT to reveal the name of this school!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckheadmama View Post
Ask them if they ever made a mistake and sent the wrong kid home with a grandparent? I'd love to know the answer. Having been to three schools in Atlanta I almost home schooled until I found our present school. What a nightmare!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 25,771 times
It is in the header. Ha. It is common knowledge, if you ask around you will find the real deal. Ask parents who have kids who go to the schools. I highly recommend that. If you have more than 10 people willing to rave about a school and tell you how they learn and what they learn, you have a good school. We went to First Pres too. All Reggio which means lots of exploration but only one of the schools is really a Reggio School and that is St. Anne's. Fantastic school. Suzuki has up to 50 kids in a room at pods with teachers who cannot teach but only suggest ways to use the materials. And they recently adopted Montessori (most teachers are not trained officially). The smoke and mirrors!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,969,424 times
Peachtree Presbyterian in Buckhead is Reggio Emelia. It is a great place, may be full but it is a large school and may well have movement off the waitlist. They also have a great gym that moms can join and work out while the kids are in preschool, a coffee shop, a drop-in nursery for babies. Do you need half day or full day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta