Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 34,886 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my boyfriend and he will have a job transfer to a different office location. The job will be in Alpharetta. Are there any suggestions on small towns? Can you give us some feedback on the places we have picked? Give us the good and the bad. How good school systems are, crime rates, whatever information you have would be much appreciated.

We picked the following:
- Decatur
- Norcross
- Duluth
- Roswell
- Canton
- Doraville
- Dunwoody

I wanted to move to Monroe but it is too far from where he will be working
I am orginally from Lincolnton, GA and I would LOVE to be able to have a small country town that resembles Lincolnton somewhat. We were thinking about Roswell, Decatur, Dunwoody, or Norcross. I thought Roswell or Dunwoody would be best since it is closest.

More small town rural areas would be great!

1. Budget is anywhere up to $350,000 for a house
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Will be traveling to Alpharetta (Need town close to this)
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public school is fine as long as it is a good one.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Would prefer a suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Would like to not be close to other houses. At least 1-2 acres between my house and theirs

Last edited by Niki&Chris21; 09-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: adding more info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,932 times
I can't tell if you're wanting an actual small town or just a city with a good downtown area, because all of these areas are firmly entrenched in Atlanta's sprawl, with the possible exception of Canton. It's pretty hick, while at the other end of the spectrum Decatur is a liberal haven. Not sure you'll find what you want anywhere near Alpharetta...

Old 09-07-2012, 05:39 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki&Chris21 View Post
I am moving with my boyfriend and he will have a job transfer to a different office location. The job will be in Alpharetta. Are there any suggestions on small towns? Can you give us some feedback on the places we have picked? Give us the good and the bad. How good school systems are, crime rates, whatever information you have would be much appreciated.

We picked the following:
- Decatur
- Norcross
- Duluth
- Roswell
- Canton
- Doraville
- Dunwoody

I wanted to move to Monroe but it is too far from where he will be working
I am orginally from Lincolnton, GA and I would LOVE to be able to have a small country town that resembles Lincolnton somewhat. We were thinking about Roswell, Decatur, Dunwoody, or Norcross. I thought Roswell or Dunwoody would be best since it is closest.

More small town rural areas would be great!

Those towns ain't rural--at all ('cept fo' Canton).

If your boyfriend will be working in Alpharetta, and you want a rural-esque town in the Metro Atlanta Area, I highly recommend:

Cumming (proper)
Canton (proper)
Dawsonville
Milton (exurban/rural-esque, but fairly expensive)

You can also find rural-esque areas in:

Northern+Eastern Cherokee County (Hickory Flat and Macedonia Areas)
Western+Northern Forsyth County

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Canton is the only one on your list that would come close to 'small' town. (and then not so much). For the small town you will need to get up into Dawson county, past the outlet malls,

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM

*sigh* Honestly, we went with what Google said was small rural towns lol... I'm from GA so it would seem like I should know what the areas are like but I have no clue when it comes to the ATL areas.
Since none of our choices are small towns... Can yall just throw some out there? It just needs to be somewhat close to Alpharetta... and with good schools, low crime, etc.....

Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
*sigh* Honestly, we went with what Google said was small rural towns lol... I'm from GA so it would seem like I should know what the areas are like but I have no clue when it comes to the ATL areas.
Since none of our choices are small towns... Can yall just throw some out there? It just needs to be somewhat close to Alpharetta... and with good schools, low crime, etc.....

See my list/post above.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Other then wanting what everyone want good schools, low crime.. What else are you looking for... Go to the sticky 'moving to atlanta' and cut/paste the 1st post into this post, and fill it out.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
See my list/post above.

We are looking at them now!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Other then wanting what everyone want good schools, low crime.. What else are you looking for... Go to the sticky 'moving to atlanta' and cut/paste the 1st post into this post, and fill it out.

I grew up on 100 acres of land... so I am looking for something similar. I realize that we will probably not have a ton of land since it is the big city areas but I would like to have some land to live on. I'm not extremely excited about the thought of living in a neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Quote:
I grew up on 100 acres of land... so I am looking for something similar. I realize that we will probably not have a ton of land since it is the big city areas but I would like to have some land to live on. I'm not extremely excited about the thought of living in a neighborhood.
You'll have trouble finding large parcels like that anywhere close to alpharetta or atlanta in general.

Atlanta has gone through a land grab of sorts over the past 20 years, where developers have come in and bought up every piece of land they could get their grubs on to build tract homes on. Unlike most cities, to Metro Areans, if it was nowhere near their job, that was OK with them. Especially when gas was cheaper. They bought the land wherever they could get it, even if it meant leveling a mountainside.

Your closest best bet is going to be around Dawsonville. I would go on naming other places but we're talking hour+ to alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta