Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I see you have less than 100 posts, so let me explain something to you:

JoeTarheel and cqholt are the resident MARTA cheerleaders on this board. You are not alone in your experience, there are a great deal of people that complain about the shuttle bus situation for Braves games.

I have a bit of mixed experience with MARTA. I think it's at its ideal during commuter hours when trains come more frequently and there is a reliable flow of people.

MARTA is at its worst during non-peak times when trains are not as frequent and during large events. During events, taking MARTA to the event is not that horrible as people tend to arrive at different times, but it can be horrible when the event ends and you have so many people all at the same time trying to hop on board.

Having said that, I am planning on taking MARTA to Music Midtown. I figure since it is an all day event, people will be coming and going throughout the day, so there won't be any specific time where the crowds will be horrible. Maybe at the end of the night people will all try to pile onto it, but there are so many great places around the park to grab a drink or two that I really don't mind if I have to sit in a bar for an hour or so waiting for the crowd to thin out. That's the best way to deal with MARTA, not when you really want to get somewhere and any delay is going to anger you.

Some people will tell you MARTA is the best solution all the time (you've already met two of those people). Some people will tell you MARTA is the worst solution all the time. The truth is, MARTA can be a really good solution some of the time.
Your the Atlanta forum complainer/ negative nancy. Every post u have its either you complaining whining or be negative even the Threads you create are negative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
I hope they move Turner Field to the GWCC property in the future

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
JoeTarheel and cqholt are the resident MARTA cheerleaders on this board. You are not alone in your experience, there are a great deal of people that complain about the shuttle bus situation for Braves games.
Give me a M-A-R-T-A, what's that spell? Hope you enjoy paying those high gas prices!
The reason why MARTA did not build a station close to Turner is that building the infrastructure to a sports stadium is ridiculous. Especially when stadiums are torn down nowadays with no regard to existing infrastructure, eg: the Dome. The Dome is 20 years old, has 2 stations next to it, and has all the infrastructure needed, but they want a new stadium and 1 proposal is 1 mile north of the closest station. That's why transit should not follow stadiums, but stadiums should follow transit. The cities listed with stations close to stadiums have had those stadiums, or previous stadiums on the same spot, for decades.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Give me a M-A-R-T-A, what's that spell? Hope you enjoy paying those high gas prices!
The reason why MARTA did not build a station close to Turner is that building the infrastructure to a sports stadium is ridiculous. Especially when stadiums are torn down nowadays with no regard to existing infrastructure, eg: the Dome. The Dome is 20 years old, has 2 stations next to it, and has all the infrastructure needed, but they want a new stadium and 1 proposal is 1 mile north of the closest station. That's why transit should not follow stadiums, but stadiums should follow transit. The cities listed with stations close to stadiums have had those stadiums, or previous stadiums on the same spot, for decades.
It doesn't really matter what MARTA does or doesn't do in the future...some people will never think it's enough.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Give me a M-A-R-T-A, what's that spell? Hope you enjoy paying those high gas prices!//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=26125526
How is it ridiculous to exercise common sense? AFCS was there almost a decade before ground was broken on MARTA rail and Turner field is still there. In MOST cities existing infrastructure is a big consideration when stadiums are constructed.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
How is it ridiculous to exercise common sense? AFCS was there almost a decade before ground was broken on MARTA rail and Turner field is still there. In MOST cities existing infrastructure is a big consideration when stadiums are constructed.
Because sports teams do not think about existing infrastructure when they want a new stadium. Look at the Falcons, they suggested the north site, that is 1 mile from the closest MARTA station. Do you think Blank cares about putting his stadium close to MARTA, of course not, he wants more suits and more money!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
The new stadium for the MN Twins, next to brand new light rail, is the right way to do it.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
The new stadium for the MN Twins, next to brand new light rail, is the right way to do it.
Build stadiums near existing transit. The Twins stadium was built at the same time as the Minneapolis LRT Hiawatha Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I hope they move Turner Field to the GWCC property in the future
I concur...

right in that parking lot space right across from Philips Arena... PERFECT sized and shaped to fit an urban baseball stadium in it...

BUT, whatever the idea, I'm pretty sure it'll never get done... Nope, not in Atlanta. No, the plan will fail or get voted down by some suburbanite that wants MORE parking (as if the city doesn't already have enough empty lots). Then the plan will just get scrapped and somebody will come up with another genius idea... "Hey, I got it... Lets develop it into an even bigger parking lot!" or something silly like that.
After watching plan after plan after plan after plan get either voted down, or money is mismanaged because of some crooked city planners, or just simply the obvious lack of vision that Atlanta's city leaders have had for decades, I'm starting to be convinced that Atlanta is simply just a place that nothing ever gets done... (Unless you're a billionaire who doesn't have to take 'No' for an answer from anyone, even voters).

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but there is nowhere filled with more Nay-sayers, Anti-urbanites, Progress complainers, "No" voters, and "Why change"ers than Atlanta...

BTW: Good job voting down that 1cent tax, Atlanta... Because everybody knows that having "no plan" is better than having a plan that will hurt for a little while... Yup. 'Stay the course' and change nothing and it'll just get better......

Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
No, the plan will fail or get voted down by some suburbanite that wants MORE parking
I think the bigger issue is that somebody owns that parking lot. They charge a lot of money for people to park there for events and it also provides employee parking for a lot of the buildings that surround it. It is probably a pretty large profit center, so developing something on it isn't up to the voters. I don't think that parking lot is for sale.

You're right, though, that it is an enormous footprint on prime urban real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta