Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times

Advertisements

Yeah like the above posters said - your confusion came from the connector. And google maps.

You went online and saw that 75 went to the left and 85 went to the right. So when you were coming up 75 - logic would assume that 75 would be in the left lanes and 85 would be in the right lanes.

However, it's the complete opposite - so unless you were really paying attention during that one mile stretch (between Linden and 17th St) - you probably didn't notice and move over 3 lanes until it was too late. I did it once intending to go to the Howell Mill Rd Walmart and ended up on 85 before I caught myself and had to loop back.

But now you know and won't make the same mistake twice =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I know I-285 can be very confusing. Sometimes it is marked as east/west, sometimes north/south.

One of my very smart friends had a very smart idea many years ago: I-285 signs should always just read "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise". That way nobody will ever be confused.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 AM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Civil engineers designed the interchange that way so motorists wouldn't have to slow down as much. It is backwards, but I-75 North must go under I-85 north to get to the NW. But GDOT did a good job of placing these signs for 2 miles before the interchange.
Y'all might have been confused by the HOV exits.
I'm even more confused now. I've always hated the way I-85 and I-75 diverge on the connector. Even after years of driving on it I still sometimes forget which lane to get in. How does this counter intuitive split keep motorists from slowing down too much?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I'm even more confused now. I've always hated the way I-85 and I-75 diverge on the connector. Even after years of driving on it I still sometimes forget which lane to get in. How does this counter intuitive split keep motorists from slowing down too much?
It allows 85 to make a shallower turn to the right and 75 to make a shallower turn to the left.

Ever drive on the Buford Spring connector between Buckhead and Midtown? There's a very sharp curve at the southern end. That's roughly how sharp the curve would be on adjacent I-85 if they hadn't made the pass over.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
By not having as sharp a curve on a hill. The 75/85 split, you can take at speed limit, but interchanges like I-285 South onto I-20 East on the east side, you have to slow down to 45 or less, especially trucks. As someone who has commuted 5 days a week through the Brookwood split in the Marietta direction, I believe that the "reverse direction" ramps are actually better than sharp turns in the correct direction. I could see the OP getting confused by having I-75 and I-85 signs over both sides of the interstate, but long before the split itself, the signs point to the correct directions.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just a genius, but the signage is excellent and prepares you well in advance, and just in case you're not paying attention to the signs, the lanes are painted with "I-85" or "I-75" right on the lane. You honestly have to not be paying attention to get in the wrong lane.

This reminds me of the bus that went off the HOV ramp at Northside Drive. It was terrible that innocent college kids got killed, but then the overreaction with giant stop signs and flashing lights, etc., just because one bus driver couldn't figure out a simple exit ramp. I guess the sign that said "Exit" with an arrow pointing to the ramp was just too confusing without an array of flashing lights and stop signs as big as a house.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe I'm just a genius, but the signage is excellent and prepares you well in advance, and just in case you're not paying attention to the signs, the lanes are painted with "I-85" or "I-75" right on the lane. You honestly have to not be paying attention to get in the wrong lane.

This reminds me of the bus that went off the HOV ramp at Northside Drive. It was terrible that innocent college kids got killed, but then the overreaction with giant stop signs and flashing lights, etc., just because one bus driver couldn't figure out a simple exit ramp. I guess the sign that said "Exit" with an arrow pointing to the ramp was just too confusing without an array of flashing lights and stop signs as big as a house.
People should really be required to meet minimum competency levels in order to drive.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

This is true.

If this is the area the OP is speaking of, like I said, they were just not paying attention. It is like a circus almost now-a-days right now at that area. You cannot miss what lane you need to be in unless you just are looking at the buildings or an accident or something and not paying attention.

I did made a mistake in that area but that was over 10 years ago and it was before the lanes were painted and the multiple signs were put up (there used to be only one sign) and before all the reflectors were put down for night drivers (I made the mistake at night).

Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM

52 posts, read 103,308 times
When I first moved here I did think it was a little off that 75/85 split in opposite directions of where they headed, but seriously... there's (I think) multiple signs and it's even painted on the pavement in big letters (THIS LANE TO...). If you miss it, you're probably not paying attention as you should be. Sorry!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 PM

33 posts, read 139,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is true.

If this is the area the OP is speaking of, like I said, they were just not paying attention. It is like a circus almost now-a-days right now at that area. You cannot miss what lane you need to be in unless you just are looking at the buildings or an accident or something and not paying attention.

I did made a mistake in that area but that was over 10 years ago and it was before the lanes were painted and the multiple signs were put up (there used to be only one sign) and before all the reflectors were put down for night drivers (I made the mistake at night).
I was paying attention. The signs kept switching back and forth like I said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta