Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 11:21 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
As long as you're going a reasonable speed--as in, not 55 mph in the left lane--and it's not a two-lane road, then I couldn't agree more. I had a driver get pissed at me a couple weeks ago because I was stuck in the left lane and literally could not move over. I moved over as soon as I could safely do so, but I was not about to give into this hothead who believed that he was legally entitled to what was not his and cause a wreck in the process.

Slowpoking on two-lane roads is an entirely different story, however. If you want to go well under the speed limit, don't get butthurt when people start getting mad at you. Do the responsible thing--pull over, let the faster drivers pass, and then proceed on your way. Almost no slowpoke I have seen does this, which is not good, considering that many two-lane roads in this state go several miles without any passing areas.
That one really irritates me...I kinda think that if someone can't drive the speed limit (due to age or whatever reason) he probably shouldn't be driving. But you're right, it's rare for someone like that to pull over and let people pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
I choose the rightmost through lane until a safe distance before my exit factoring in traffic conditions. It always irritates me when there's at least two lanes, one on each side some 70mph+ person can go into, and they get mad at me when I'm driving at least speed limit, particularly trucks. I cruise on cruise control at the speed limit in the rightmost through lane for better gas mileage and to avoid merging traffic and so I probably don't have to merge farther over if there are emergency vehicle lights on the shoulder. Sometimes there's one non-HOV lane to my left with four lanes to my right, other times there's a lane on each side, but there's no reason to get mad at me just so you can spend an extra $5 on gas, and get places six seconds faster.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It always irritates me when there's at least two lanes, one on each side some 70mph+ person can go into, and they get mad at me when I'm driving at least speed limit, particularly trucks.
Because passing on the right is also illegal.

That's why all the fuss and headlights and left turn blinkers. Because people can't legally do so on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't feel the need to be completely passive in that situation and concede the road to some lunatic.
)))

So for you it's just a pissing contest and you could care less about being a courteous driver.
You've already managed to determine they are a "lunatic" and by using your psychic predictive radar gun, you've established they're going 85 in a 55 even though they're stuck behind you doing whatever speed you think is safe and reasonable.

Quote:
I shake my head in disgust at the people who comment without reading or understanding what was said.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post

So for you it's just a pissing contest and you could care less about being a courteous driver.
You've already managed to determine they are a "lunatic" and by using your psychic predictive radar gun, you've established they're going 85 in a 55 even though they're stuck behind you doing whatever speed you think is safe and reasonable.

You are very good at making assumptions that just aren't there...you've done this throughout the thread, so I guess you're just looking for an argument - I don't know what your problem is. I said nothing about a "pissing contest" - but you seem to be looking for one. I will continue to express my opinion, but I will not argue with you any further.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-16-2012 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Because passing on the right is also illegal.

That's why all the fuss and headlights and left turn blinkers. Because people can't legally do so on the right.

*snip*
No, it isn't:
Quote:
40-6-43. When overtaking and passing on the right permitted:
(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
Straight from the LexisNexis version of the Georgia code. Otherwise, all it would take is one slow driver in the leftmost lane for the entire freeway to come to a grinding halt because you couldn't "pass" them.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No, it isn't:

Straight from the LexisNexis version of the Georgia code. Otherwise, all it would take is one slow driver in the leftmost lane for the entire freeway to come to a grinding halt because you couldn't "pass" them.
You still need two unobstructed lanes.

And still dangerous.

Last edited by cittic10; 09-16-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
That one really irritates me...I kinda think that if someone can't drive the speed limit (due to age or whatever reason) he probably shouldn't be driving. But you're right, it's rare for someone like that to pull over and let people pass.
I will preface by saying that usually I drive the speed limit or a little over. Having said that, you're point is completely bogus.

A speed limit is just that...a limit, not a starting point. On a two lane road, with driveways, side streets, curves, etc., that may be the safe speed. On a rainy day, you may need to go slower. Maybe someone just feels more comfortable going slower, even on a sunny day. There is no minimum speed that I'm aware of on side streets. I think minimum speed is only applicable on the Interstate. Obviously someone going excessively slow would be almost as unsafe as people going excessively fast, but I sense you find a problem with someone doing 35 or 40 mph in a 40 mph zone, or someone doing 40 in a 45 mph zone.

The fact that you want to exceed the limit doesn't make it incumbent on others to do the limit or also exceed the limit, and doesn't make it incumbent upon you to ride up their ass. If you have a problem with the speed limits or the lack of a minimum speed limit on back roads, then take it up with the legislature.

I'm only in my 40's, but I have teens driving now, and there is a reason why I pay huge insurance premiums for the kids and very low premiums for me and my wife. I notice more and more the stupid and senseless driving practices of others on the road, especially younger people. People cutting off others and almost causing a wreck to have the privilege of stopping at the next red light first, and burning more gas in the process....just stupid and ridiculous crap that doesn't even get them where they're going any faster. I just shake my "old" head.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I will preface by saying that usually I drive the speed limit or a little over. Having said that, you're point is completely bogus.

A speed limit is just that...a limit, not a starting point. On a two lane road, with driveways, side streets, curves, etc., that may be the safe speed. On a rainy day, you may need to go slower. Maybe someone just feels more comfortable going slower, even on a sunny day. There is no minimum speed that I'm aware of on side streets. I think minimum speed is only applicable on the Interstate. Obviously someone going excessively slow would be almost as unsafe as people going excessively fast, but I sense you find a problem with someone doing 35 or 40 mph in a 40 mph zone, or someone doing 40 in a 45 mph zone.

The fact that you want to exceed the limit doesn't make it incumbent on others to do the limit or also exceed the limit, and doesn't make it incumbent upon you to ride up their ass. If you have a problem with the speed limits or the lack of a minimum speed limit on back roads, then take it up with the legislature.

I'm only in my 40's, but I have teens driving now, and there is a reason why I pay huge insurance premiums for the kids and very low premiums for me and my wife. I notice more and more the stupid and senseless driving practices of others on the road, especially younger people. People cutting off others and almost causing a wreck to have the privilege of stopping at the next red light first, and burning more gas in the process....just stupid and ridiculous crap that doesn't even get them where they're going any faster. I just shake my "old" head.
I was referring to people driving at an extremely low speed...like 25 in a 55 - it happens. It looks like you have made a lot of assumptions about my statement that I simply didn't say or imply. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

There is often a minimum speed as well as a maximum, and I still think it inconveniences MANY people to drive below the speed limit and is as likely to cause an accident as driving above it.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM

561 posts, read 780,874 times
Speed itself usually doesn't kill (unless you try to do 100mph around a 35mph curve). It's usually the differences in speeds that kill. A freeway with ALL motorists doing 90 mph is safer than a freeway with some folks doing 55 and some doing 80mph. That causes excessive lane changing, weaving, and braking.

That is why it is safer to set speed limits by the 85th percentile instead of having it set artificially low. I-285 should actually be safer when they raise the limit to 65mph soon. 55 on the perimeter is unsafe at any time outside of rush hour.

I also don't get what is so hard about merging when getting on a freeway. Are folks scared of using their gas pedal? There is no excuse to merge onto a freeway doing only 40 mph unless you are an overloaded 18-wheeler. Even the ramps with meters usually allow ample space to get up to speed. I've seen this behavior cause so many wrecks and near-wrecks.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I-285 should actually be safer when they raise the limit to 65mph soon. 55 on the perimeter is unsafe at any time outside of rush hour.
They're actually going to raise the limit??? WHEN!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta