Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times

Advertisements

Precisely Atlanta_BD. I would think it's common sense that Memphis is less expensive than Atlanta especially. To me, Atlanta is cheap because, like you said, I was sick of paying overpriced Northeast prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 AM

7 posts, read 9,650 times
Thanks for the replies. I have not done much research on neighborhoods because I am currently in school for Medical Billing and Coding. I don't know how much my salary will be in Atlanta so hopefully our price range will change into the $1200 price range. Any advice on what the job market is like in the medical field?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Precisely Atlanta_BD. I would think it's common sense that Memphis is less expensive than Atlanta especially. To me, Atlanta is cheap because, like you said, I was sick of paying overpriced Northeast prices.
Cheap and cheaper aren't the same thing. Just because Atlanta housing is cheaperthan the NE, that doesn't mean housing in good areas with good schools is accessible to everyone who desires it regardless of income. Atlanta is no different than any other major city in this regard.

People are told the COL of Atlanta is cheap so they flock here. They still don't have the big picture of what housing costs are in good areas and who can actually afford them--and it's still not the average Atlantan. So people come here with unrealistic expectations who don't earn high salaries.

A BMW may be cheaper than a Bentley. That still doesn't mean the average person can afford a BMW. And the average Atlanta doesn't earn six figures or even close to it--and that's how much ( or close to it) a family who wants the best schools need to be making if they want a SFH whether they rent or buy.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-20-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
OP, I suggest you hold off on your move as you indicate you do not have a job, not sure about your fiance, but since you are relatively close, I would come here first and look around areas or do some research on schools via the sticky in this forum or greatschools.org or similar areas.

Also, the job market is still tough in this area and even in the medical field. My aunt was unemployed last year for nearly a whole year, I think 10 months, and she is an RN with over 15 years of experience. She just recently found a good paying job.

In regards to $800 for a 3 bedroom, it is doable in certain areas. I have gotten a 3 bedroom before for $700 but you need to know what area you are moving too and know the average price for that area. Also, we own now so don't rent anymore so rents may have gone up, but I doubt they went up that much especially with the economy the way it is. I've helped relatives (carting them around to complexes) in finding apartments and they found 3 bedroom apartments for less than $800 a month.

We used to live in a house in Smyrna for under $800 a month also in Mableton and various parts of the city. I lived in a apartment really cheap in Marietta and a cousin of mine lived in a house in Gwinnet, I think Lawrenceville for $850 a month, it was a really nice house too and the schools there were good. It depends on where you want to live also what you consider "good" in a school.

Many on this forum only consider specific schools "good" and those with extremely good test scores but if you aren't one to focus on test scores and are looking for other things, you will find plenty of good schools and homes in your price range.

But once again, don't move here without a job. You are all not that far away and your fiance at least can come here for a while by himself and find a job before all of you join him.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,014 times
Cool wow

thanks for the advice I always thought the col was way more cheaper thank miami, fl. im looking to more to atl too but dont now where to start ..

Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to $800 for a 3 bedroom, it is doable in certain areas. I have gotten a 3 bedroom before for $700 but you need to know what area you are moving too and know the average price for that area. Also, we own now so don't rent anymore so rents may have gone up, but I doubt they went up that much especially with the economy the way it is. I've helped relatives (carting them around to complexes) in finding apartments and they found 3 bedroom apartments for less than $800 a month.
Rents have gone up over the past few years, precisely because of the recession. Many people who lost their homes to foreclosure are now renting, so there are fewer rental properties available and property owners charge more for them. In some parts of the city rentals are very expensive (more than you'd pay for a mortgage) and very competitive. It's a bit better in the suburbs, but please look carefully and do your homework (crime, schools) on any place you find in the $800 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta