Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I asked months ago to back up your claims with proof and nobody hasnt backed up their claim yet lol
This is like proving that water is wet. And did you miss my post and the previous page? Here, I'll quote it again:

Quote:
I parked 4 blocks away from my apartment the other night at around 1am. On the walk home I decided to count how many businesses were open. There were 5 24/7 bodegas, 3 "sit down" style restaurants, 3 bars, 2 chinese food take out joints, 2 liquor stores, 2 24 hour laundromats, and 1 24 hour grocery store.

So there's 18 businesses open in 4 blocks of Manhattan for you at 1 in the morning, in a non-tourist neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
This is like proving that water is wet. And did you miss my post and the previous page? Here, I'll quote it again:
The standard for this post is 5am. What is open at 5am.

There has to be a 24 hour/etc list somewhere to prove your point

Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I don't get the emphasis on creating a "24 hour city." When we lived in NYC I can't recall any greater need to do things in the wee hours than we've experienced here. And both cities have plenty of options to take care of those things.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:

No, the standard for that post is what I saw on the 4 block walk from my car to my apartment.

I did indeed make another post (not the one quoted above) where I referenced the vast number of restaurants open at 5am on a weekday. I couldn't see how to sort by 24 hour establishments on Yelp, so I chose sort by restaurants that were open for business at 5am during the week, as pretty much anything open at that time would be a 24 hour business.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to New York or Las Vegas? Seriously. If you have, the point would be moot since you would see with your own eyes that clearly both cities (never mind those international cities like Bangkok, Shanghai, Dubai, etc) are 24/7 and a lot more so than Atlanta.

It isn't emotional. It is fact. If you must have "proven points" without actually going to these cities, Google is your friend. Use it.

Don't get me wrong, Atlanta definitely has variety after hours, but it isn't nearly of the same caliber as the country's largest city. Apples and oranges.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Have you ever been to New York or Las Vegas? Seriously. If you have, the point would be moot since you would see with your own eyes that clearly both cities (never mind those international cities like Bangkok, Shanghai, Dubai, etc) are 24/7 and a lot more so than Atlanta.

It isn't emotional. It is fact. If you must have "proven points" without actually going to these cities, Google is your friend. Use it.

Don't get me wrong, Atlanta definitely has variety after hours, but it isn't nearly of the same caliber as the country's largest city. Apples and oranges.
Stop being emotional and back up your claims wirh numbers. Back up your claim and if im wrong I will admit to it.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Stop being emotional and back up your claims wirh numbers. Back up your claim and if im wrong I will admit to it.
Are you just ignoring posts that have specific numbers?

I just did a search on Yelp for the keyword "restaurant" with the qualifier that they be open at 3am on a Wednesday morning. I couldn't search specifically by 24 hour establishments, but if they're open at 3am during the week, then they're obviously open 24 hours.

There are over 600 results.

And again, this doesn't include things like bodegas which are on just about every block and usually 24/7.

Just a few posts up I noted how I counted a total of 18 businesses open in the middle of the night between the walk from my car to my apartment here.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
I did not realize Waffle House was the defining benchmark for 24hr-ess-ness.
We've got our fair share of them too. Where does that put us in the rankings? I need to go hang out on the south side by UAB and St Vincent's because there are a few business that stay open all the time to cater to all the docs, nurses and students that stay up all night up to no good.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM

No actual documented proof yet. It looks like Atlanta is the champion.

I'm not responding to this thread anymore until I have someone post an actual list or documented proof to back up their claim. A Yelp link doesn't count unless 100% of the link are establishments that are open 24 hours

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
No actual documented proof yet. It looks like Atlanta is the champion
Okay you just have to be joking at this point.

Yelp results.

And what, do you want me to take pictures of all the establishments I walk past on my way home or something?

By your logic, I'm just going to say that Lincoln, Nebraska has the greatest nightlife on the face of the planet and will not accept otherwise until "proven" different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta