Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,846,478 times

Advertisements

What do consider middle-class regarding income, lifestyle, etc.? What are the parameters to be middle class in Atlanta? Not upper-middle, not lower-middle, but middle-middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:05 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
As Wikipedia points out, ad infinitum, the hard question is as stated by the thread title, "What's Middle Class?" American middle class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The article includes this quote:

Everyone wants to believe they are middle class...But this eagerness...has led the definition to be stretched like a bungee cord — used to defend/attack/describe everything...The Drum Major Institute...places the range for middle class at individuals making between $25,000 and $100,000 a year. Ah yes, there's a group of people bound to run into each other while house-hunting.

It's my impression that there are plenty of people on this board who make in excess of $100K but consider themselves to be middle class. From some of the recent discussions by presidential election candidates, I get the impression there's a fair bit of thinking that household incomes up to $250K are "middle class". Yet on the other hand, our teacher, police and firefighter salaries start well under $50K. Are teachers not "middle class"? Maybe not, by the numbers.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:18 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,388 times
middle class= when your too rich to get it for free and too poor to pay for it!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 AM

826 posts, read 3,119,841 times
I think it really depends on your Geographic location. We live in the city and have a household income of about 200k, we are still very middle class, IMO.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,888,943 times
Happycamper and Merin make some good points! Joining Merin in frankness, I live OTP with a household income of about $100K and feel like we're sucking air trying to keep ourselves provided with very modest home, automobiles, clothing, kid activities, 401(K), etc. Forget vacations. And yet, according to median incomes nation-wide, or even metro-wide, we're "rich".

Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
We're between Rainy and Merin income-wise, have a nice house, two newer cars, the kids have tons of junk (thanks to my wife....lol), etc., and I still consider us "middle class". Maybe we're "upper middle class" compared to my parents who were more "true middle class" or "blue collar", but I definitely don't think we'd qualify as "upper class" by any stretch of the term.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
I remember reading an article not long ago where it said that in America there is no longer an actual "Middle income" classification - that there is now Lower-Middle and High-Middle categories, and that very few if any people fall into just a standard "middle" anymore. You're either on the lower end of it, or higher end of it. If you go by that, then I guess I fall into the lower-middle side of it. Dang.

I suppose if you want to be updated and somewhat politically correct too, you should know that the word "class" is being replaced by "income". In other words, you no longer say someone is low class or high class, but instead say low income or high income. The theory being that income (low or high) does not always indicate how much "class" someone has.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I remember reading an article not long ago where it said that in America there is no longer an actual "Middle income" classification - that there is now Lower-Middle and High-Middle categories, and that very few if any people fall into just a standard "middle" anymore. You're either on the lower end of it, or higher end of it. If you go by that, then I guess I fall into the lower-middle side of it. Dang.

I suppose if you want to be updated and somewhat politically correct too, you should know that the word "class" is being replaced by "income". In other words, you no longer say someone is low class or high class, but instead say low income or high income. The theory being that income (low or high) does not always indicate how much "class" someone has.
Spot on, Greg...you echo the sentiments of Paul Fussell in his book Class: A Guide Through the American Status System. It is a fascinating read.

www.halfsigma.com/2006/06/class.html

Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We're between Rainy and Merin income-wise, have a nice house, two newer cars, the kids have tons of junk (thanks to my wife....lol), etc., and I still consider us "middle class". Maybe we're "upper middle class" compared to my parents who were more "true middle class" or "blue collar", but I definitely don't think we'd qualify as "upper class" by any stretch of the term.
The old school ''true middle class'' blue collar folks did not have new cars every 3 years,credit cards,100 tv chanels,online,I-pods,cell phone,central a/c.I can go on forever !!Its not that the middle class is getting squeezed out, They are trying too sqeeze in!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
The old school ''true middle class'' blue collar folks did not have new cars every 3 years,credit cards,100 tv chanels,online,I-pods,cell phone,central a/c.I can go on forever !!Its not that the middle class is getting squeezed out, They are trying too sqeeze in!!!
True, but alot of those items didn't exist back then- if they did, the "true middle class" would have had them, and would also have had the credit card debt that most "middle class" folks today have that allowed them to have the cell phones, ipods, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta