Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

Lenox Square Mall, no doubt about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Lenox Square Mall, no doubt about it.
Agree!!!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
sweet water beer over rated?!? Whaaaaa! I like terrapin a bit better but sweetwater is one of my favorite things about Atlanta. $10 for 6 higher alcohol beers, love it! IPA is a delicious and well crafted beer.

I have never thought Atlanta was a BBQ town. We really do not have much of a distinctive style in Georgia. But I do love fox bros and old south BBQ in smyrna!

Varsity is hands down the most overrated thing in Atlanta. Happy it is there though and do enjoy it about twice a year. But directing out of town guests there like it is a mandatory stop is not doing our city any favors.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 PM

431 posts, read 659,273 times
Lenox Square Mall...

Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I won't name names but I've been to several restaurants that the critics were raving about that we found disappointing.

I also don't have much interest in places that sell $500 blue jeans and stuff like that. Give me a break.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Everything is overrated if you live in any city. Im sure if you live in LA that Rodeo Dr and the hollywood sign is overrated. NYC'ers tell me all the time that Times Square and NYE is overrated. Im sure the monuments in DC are overrated because the average person living in DC have not seen them in years. And the reason I know this? Well I used to go on cheap dates in DC to those monuments because most of the women have not been down to the National Mall.
PREACH!!!!! This statement is the absolute truth in every sense. Also, when living somewhere its very easy to take stuff for granted that you have at your disposal 24/7. On another note, a lot of stuff is purely hype and thus overrated while the flip side of the coin is that people have a habit of doing the same handful of things over and over again which then makes an over indulged activity or place overrated in their eyes.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
sweet water beer over rated?!? Whaaaaa! I like terrapin a bit better but sweetwater is one of my favorite things about Atlanta. $10 for 6 higher alcohol beers, love it! IPA is a delicious and well crafted beer.

I have never thought Atlanta was a BBQ town. We really do not have much of a distinctive style in Georgia. But I do love fox bros and old south BBQ in smyrna!

Varsity is hands down the most overrated thing in Atlanta. Happy it is there though and do enjoy it about twice a year. But directing out of town guests there like it is a mandatory stop is not doing our city any favors.
well, we *do* have a distinctive style, it's just that since we're from here we think it's "normal". all our barbecue sauces follow a basic formula of mostly ketchup.

as for the sweetwater IPA, i don't mean to be elitist or anything, but they just don't know how to do IPAs in the united states, they end up tasting like, well, just hops. sour, monodimensional, bitter, overall not very good. they do something to the IPAs in england, i have no idea how they do it, but the hops taste more full, 'bloomed' or something. for example try samuel smith's india pale ale. i can never afford the stuff but i guarantee it's one of the best beers you'll ever have.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
What places in Atlanta are overrated? Hmmm...I would say all of them lol. All the places I've gone to in Atlanta that people have said were supposed to be all that, I have yet to be impressed by any of it.

The only thing Atlanta has that impresses me is Dragon Con. That's about it lol.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
PREACH!!!!! This statement is the absolute truth in every sense. Also, when living somewhere its very easy to take stuff for granted that you have at your disposal 24/7. On another note, a lot of stuff is purely hype and thus overrated while the flip side of the coin is that people have a habit of doing the same handful of things over and over again which then makes an over indulged activity or place overrated in their eyes.
Not true for everyone.

When I lived in Chicago I always took advantage of what was there and was always very excited to do so. I was very content not having a car because I could get anywhere I needed to go in the city or its surrounding suburbs on public transit or by commuter railroad or by walking. I never drove anywhere or owned a car until I moved here. Was forced to because I couldn't get around and get things done without it like I needed to.

It was always a thrill for me going to hang out in downtown Chicago, go shop there, go to the city's museums, go to the beach/lakefront, eat at certain restaurants or hang out in it's ethnic neighborhoods. I was thrilled to do all those things in my city from childhood through adulthood. I always get very excited when I go visit with all the sights and sounds of Chicago and using transit there. I really miss downtown Chicago and shopping the Magnificent Mile or State Street. I don't even go into downtown Atlanta unless I have to because there is nothing there. Definitely no places to shop other than Rainbow, Payless Shoe Source and stores that sell "urban wear." I worked in downtown Atlanta for years. For it to be a major city, Atlanta's downtown couldn't even support having a Macy's, which closed down years ago, and The Underground couldn't keep The Gap or Victoria's Secret. And there's nothing but trinkets and urban wear in there too now.

I wasn't impressed by Atlanta's transit system, attractions or restaurants when I first moved here and I am still not impressed by anything here years later, and I live in Buckhead. It all falls flat compared to where I came from.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-21-2012 at 04:55 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 AM

13 posts, read 17,545 times
1) The Varsity. I can understand it being recommended for the atmosphere, maybe. But the food? Ugh!! And this is coming from someone who likes greasy diner/fast food (if it's prepared with love by non-chain independents who use real oil to fry their food). I last ate at The Varsity about seven years ago, and...well...let's just say it created a digestive experience that will forever be known as "the perfect storm", and leave it at that.

2) The Underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta