Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Curious to what Old School Saturday was.
"OSS" (Old School Saturday) --- "The Soundtrack Of Your Life"
It's the best old school hip hop party in America. People from across the country travel here once a month for this event. It's once a month and they are having it this weekend with special guest Dj Red Alert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 AM

13 posts, read 17,553 times
The High Museum - one of my favorite reasons to go downtown. This should be in the top 5 of "places to go in Atlanta", but I rarely hear it mentioned.

The Botanical Gardens - I've only been here once for the Christmas light show, and it was at dusk, but it was a really nice experience...I remember thinking it would be worth a return visit in the daytime hours and once every 3 or 4 months to see how the different foliage looks in each season.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
H Mart in Doraville. Great market where you can find things you'll find nowhere else.
Jiffy Lube. Excellent customer service.
Junior League of Atlanta's Nearly New Shop.
Fernbank Forest.
WSB radio.
Alfredos.
Le Giverny.
Violette.
Moes and Joes.
Evans Fine Foods.
Meltons App and Tap.
Lullwater Estate (Emory presidents home).
Carlos Museum at Emory.
Services at Wheat Street Baptist Church.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
MARTA, direct connection to world's busiest airport. Therefore if A+B= C, then MARTA can take you anywhere in the world.
Old Fourth Ward
Washington Park
West End
High Museum

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
One underrated thing about Atlanta: our upscale southern cuisine. We have okay BBQ and meat 'n three type places, but where we really shine is the trend of chefs doing elaborate and inventive stuff with southern dishes.

Home :: EmpireStateSouth.com
H.Harper Station -- Welcome!
JCT. Kitchen and Bar -- Menus
etc etc

Out of towners always seem to want the hole-in-the-wall southern food, but that's not really what Atlanta excels in.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 AM

164 posts, read 375,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The Chattahoochee River - most people love to point out Atlanta isn't close to water, but a pretty decent river flows through a lot of the metro. Most of it isn't polluted anymore and you can tube, paddle, fish, and swim in it.
The Chattahoochee River is way underrated. There are a ton of parks managed by the NPS on the Chattahoochee River. The area is called the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. There are also many companies that offer kayak, canoe and tube rentals on the Chattahoochee River.

Many of the NPS parks are close to Atlanta (near Vinings, Sandy Springs, East Cobb, Roswell). They also stock the river with trout; you just need to buy a trout stamp.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM

284 posts, read 590,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
One underrated thing about Atlanta: our upscale southern cuisine. We have okay BBQ and meat 'n three type places, but where we really shine is the trend of chefs doing elaborate and inventive stuff with southern dishes.

Home :: EmpireStateSouth.com
H.Harper Station -- Welcome!
JCT. Kitchen and Bar -- Menus
etc etc

Out of towners always seem to want the hole-in-the-wall southern food, but that's not really what Atlanta excels in.
Good hole in the wall southern food is found at "soul food" type places (Beautiful, Busy Bee...is Quinny's still around?).

Love the 3 restaurants you mentioned. All have excellent cocktail programs too. However I don't know if any of these places are underrated, especially on the drinks front...I think ATL has really come into its own with cocktails. Many of my friends from ATL ask for my recommendations on where to go in NYC, DC, San Francisco, Philly for excellent drinks, and we are not surprised to find many of those bartenders (mixologists...a term often used by someone who is not one) know or no of the HHarper/Leons/JCT/ESS/H&F. In fact when I was at Amor y Amaro in the lower east side last year they mentioned a former HHarper bartend was joining their crew.

I see Olmsteads is open at 1180 peachtree--their menu has a decidedly upscale Southern take.

Good bbq is not really an ATL thing, although Daddy Dz can't be beat for atmosphere and the live music. I love Deans near Jonesboro, although I hadn't been there in years. Eastern Carolina style, although they offer red sauces too.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The Chattahoochee River - most people love to point out Atlanta isn't close to water, but a pretty decent river flows through a lot of the metro. Most of it isn't polluted anymore and you can tube, paddle, fish, and swim in it.
ITA witht is. The Chattahoochee is a great recreational spot all the way through the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA, direct connection to world's busiest airport. Therefore if A+B= C, then MARTA can take you anywhere in the world.
Old Fourth Ward
Washington Park
West End
High Museum
I also agree with these. Love the High Museum even though I'm cheap and it is kind of expensive but they have the free days once a month every 1st Saturday for Fulton residents. My kids love it there as well, the younger on Toddler Thursdays is a hit.

I also agree with someone who mentioned SW Atlanta. I think this area of the city gets a bad rap due to the local media seeming to say that every crime committed is in "SW Atlanta." It actually cracks me up due to the fact that most of the time, the areas they are speaking of are not in SW Atlanta.

Cascade Heights, Adams Park, and West Manor are also neighborhoods I think are overrated. Adams Park especially due to the great amenities in the area -golf course, pool, playgrounds, sporting areas. It is a beautiful neighborhood and it and Cascade Heights are close to the Cascade Nature Preserve, which is a beautiful nature preserve in the area that doesn't ever seem to have all that many people the times that I visit there.

Buford Highway, which someone else mentioned. I lived on Buford Highway during my 3rd year in college and loved it there. It is very convenient to live there and take Marta, as I didn't have a car back then and you can sample the cuisine of the world up and down the street. They also had some great little stores that sold ethnic groceries and other items that you could't find anywhere else. It was one of my favorite places to live.

The Tara Movie Theater for all the great independent films played there. I used to go there a lot when I lived on Buford Highway. Before living on Buford Hwy, I lived off Cheshire Bridge Road and the sex shops and antique/thrift sort of shops there were underrated too. It was interesting just walking around there. I saw all kinds of interesting people - gay guys trying on leather outfits, complete with whips lol, hippie looking sorts, chain gang guys cleaning up the side of the road, students, families, all sorts of people.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
The Atlanta History Center. We went one day in August, and had the place to ourselves. We only had a couple of hours, but I could have spent the entire day there. It's amazing how many artifacts remain from the Civil War.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM

284 posts, read 590,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Cascade Heights, Adams Park, and West Manor are also neighborhoods I think are overrated. Adams Park especially due to the great amenities in the area -golf course, pool, playgrounds, sporting areas. It is a beautiful neighborhood and it and Cascade Heights are close to the Cascade Nature Preserve, which is a beautiful nature preserve in the area that doesn't ever seem to have all that many people the times that I visit there.

Bufor Before living on Buford Hwy, I lived off Cheshire Bridge Road and the sex shops and antique/thrift sort of shops there were underrated too. It was interesting just walking around there. I saw all kinds of interesting people - gay guys trying on leather outfits, complete with whips lol, hippie looking sorts, chain gang guys cleaning up the side of the road, students, families, all sorts of people.
I think you mean UNDERrated? by the way, everyone should check out the Adams Park Cultural Arts Fest Saturday. Its the first year, so don't expect the Inman Park Fest, but jazz djs from WRFG and house music DJ Yusef&Co (known Piedmont Park's ATL greenspace fest) will be there, along with artists, kids activities, 5K walk run and a community forum (on post-TSPLOST, schools, and other initiatives). Welcome to Adams Park Cultural Arts Festival Website

Cheshire Bridge Road aka Vaseline Valley...now that TRULY was a 24 hour spot in Atlanta between the clubs (remember the Chamber/Glitterdome decadence at the end of the 20th century?), the adult stores/stripclubs, and Hong Kong Harbour/the notorious Bamboo Luau -- where else can you get a flaming volcano tiki punch bowl and share it in a dark room with drag queens, gay go-go dancers, and members of foreign crime families in ATL at 3am?!). But yes, the antiques there are great...it was devastating when the old Cache' burned down. I love the Atlanta Water Gardens place there too--stunning koi pond designs & garden accessories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta