Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
If that is the case, then let the studio invest. Let the free market work. Get government out of interfering and picking winners and losers.

That is fundamentally wrong and un-American. Let the risk takers get the gain/loss.
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
I'd like to see the ROI on the investment of public funds.

My guess is that a measly $500k investment will bring much more than that to Atlanta in terms of revenue, but I guess I don't know for sure.

It's much easier to digest than the $500 million, or whatever the city wants to chip in, for a new stadium. Again, I'd like to see the ROI on that and I might adjust my stance if the numbers worked out....but my gut tells me that 100 additional soundstages would bring way more great things to the city than one football stadium.

And you know I'm critical of the film industry because it tends to bring low level, low paying, temporary work to the city. Hollywood brings most of the professionals (even crummy PAs who just hold clipboards and tell you not to come onto the lot) with them. However, the actors eat in restaurants, stay in hotels, get catered, and so on, so I'm not going to deny that the industry does bring money to the city. I guess what I'm saying is if that the money is good, but it's not contributing all that much to long term growth. If you want to "make it" in the film industry, be it as an actor, director, cinematographer, and apparently even a PA....you still stand a much better shot by moving to Los Angeles.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

My guess is that a measly $500k investment will bring much more than that to Atlanta in terms of revenue, but I guess I don't know for sure.

It's much easier to digest than the $500 million, or whatever the city wants to chip in, for a new stadium. Again, I'd like to see the ROI on that and I might adjust my stance if the numbers worked out....but my gut tells me that 100 additional soundstages would bring way more great things to the city than one football stadium.

And you know I'm critical of the film industry because it tends to bring low level, low paying, temporary work to the city. Hollywood brings most of the professionals (even crummy PAs who just hold clipboards and tell you not to come onto the lot) with them. However, the actors eat in restaurants, stay in hotels, get catered, and so on, so I'm not going to deny that the industry does bring money to the city. I guess what I'm saying is if that the money is good, but it's not contributing all that much to long term growth. If you want to "make it" in the film industry, be it as an actor, director, cinematographer, and apparently even a PA....you still stand a much better shot by moving to Los Angeles.
Generally yes but things have changed in Hollywood since other states have better incentives for the movie industry than Hollywood. The unions have also played a big role I'm the decreased production in Hollywood. The thing about the film industry is that you can film a movie anywhere.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
maybe it's because you're checking CRAIGSLIST.

in all seriousness, the movie industry is really peaking here. a few tax breaks here and there will keep the interest in atlanta. however, i think the money doesn't need to come from property taxes— that needs to be directed towards the poor schools in the area.
WHAT YOU GOT AGAINST CRAIGSLIST!!!!!

I was being tongue and cheek. I some folks that are doing quite well with the movie industry here. I hope it continues to grow. But I don't see why we need to be giving public money to a seemingly thriving and highly profitable industry.

2,406 posts, read 3,350,499 times
Quote:

When did it become the government's job to invest taxpayer's money? If they are building something that benefits the public good (police, fire, roads, parks, etc.) then that makes sense. This is pure speculative development. It might be a sure thing, but even then, that is not the role of government. How did we get to this point where this increased government power is seen as a good thing? If it were such a good investment, let private investors do it. If there were that great of an opportunity, the free market would jump in and fund this. The local area would benefit from the increased employment, taxes, etc whlie shouldering none of the costs.

You're right, but the big professionals tend to keep their permanent residences in LA.

Maybe what we need is a gigantic earthquake to level it all and it will all come here! LOL.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM

I agree with you 100% in principle, corndog.

If it were up to me, I probably wouldn't do it, so I'm not defending it that way. I'm just saying that I don't necessarily have a big enough problem with it to challenge what was done.

Tony is right that movies can be filmed anywhere. So why not Charlotte? Denver? Dallas? Hattiesburg, Mississippi? I think the government is trying to lure the industry here. Once they are firmly established, the handouts will probably end. I mean, I doubt the city of Los Angeles gives the industry money because it is so rooted there. But I don't know for sure...the industry has moved out of Hollywood, so maybe places like Burbank, Studio City, Glendale, etc. did give money to attract the industry to them.

BTW, there are alos a few intangibles involved. The more the skyline of Atlanta and local places are seen on the big screen, the more it helps tourism.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
If that is the case, then let the studio invest. Let the free market work. Get government out of interfering and picking winners and losers.

That is fundamentally wrong and un-American. Let the risk takers get the gain/loss.
I don't love the use of tax payer funds and I do generally agree with what you are saying, especially when it comes to a federal issue.

But for the sake of argument, is this not the game we have to play to get the jobs and industry here? If we don't do it, another city will. They will get the jobs and in the long run they will benefit from the investment. If there is a net benefit to this $500 M investment, isn't it worth it?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:

If it were up to me, I probably wouldn't do it, so I'm not defending it that way. I'm just saying that I don't necessarily have a big enough problem with it to challenge what was done.

Tony is right that movies can be filmed anywhere. So why not Charlotte? Denver? Dallas? Hattiesburg, Mississippi? I think the government is trying to lure the industry here. Once they are firmly established, the handouts will probably end. I mean, I doubt the city of Los Angeles gives the industry money because it is so rooted there. But I don't know for sure...the industry has moved out of Hollywood, so maybe places like Burbank, Studio City, Glendale, etc. did give money to attract the industry to them.

BTW, there are alos a few intangibles involved. The more the skyline of Atlanta and local places are seen on the big screen, the more it helps tourism.
They film here because its cheaper and because of our airport. They also like Atlanta as a city

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 09-21-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I agree about the skyline part. When I was watching the nfl game in charlotte last night the skyline on tv made me want to visit charlotte even though I have already been there before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: