Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times

Advertisements

The Marietta Daily Journal - Amateur radio operator clashes with code enforcement

As it turns out, you can't do whatever you want with your property whether you live in an HOA or not. It's a shame that it sounds like this guy is going to ruin it for all the ham radio operators that play by the rules there in Cobb county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM

69 posts, read 189,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The Marietta Daily Journal - Amateur radio operator clashes with code enforcement

As it turns out, you can't do whatever you want with your property whether you live in an HOA or not.
Sadly, Mr. Nesbitt is wrong. The county will eat him for lunch, as he failed to get the required land use permits on his existing towers in addition to the prohibited one. His "attorney" is a ham of less than two years who made a statement that could really hurt his client.

Speaking as a Cobb county ham and founder of a non profit amateur radio public service organization, hams should always strive to be not just good neighbors but more importantly, within the law. While the FCC does allow us to construct reasonable antenna structures, it does not give carte blanche right to toot our noses at local laws or private agreements that one may enter into such as an HOA.

I hope Mr. Nesbitt will come to his senses and see the error of his ways on this issue and realize that taking the incorrect stance can not only put him at odds with his neighbors, but cost the amateur radio community much credibility with the county government that many before him have worked hard to build up. Hams are supposed to be outstanding members of our community and stand ready to support our local governments and communities in which we live, not be scofflaws and arrogant towards our neighbors and government officials.

And his attorney REALLY needs to remain silent...what was the part about "anything you say or do can and will be used against you?"

Mr. Nesbitt should be asking the county "what can I do to be in compliance." and apologize for running afoul of the law, not being that arrogant one who comes into court with an attitude, the system will eat him for lunch.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFLASHPORT View Post

Mr. Nesbitt should be asking the county "what can I do to be in compliance." and apologize for running afoul of the law, not being that arrogant one who comes into court with an attitude, the system will eat him for lunch.
I agree with you but I read in the comments of that article that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Of Baojie
The Cobb Quality of Life unit will be sorry because the 3rd, 140 ft tower is necessary to ward off the space aliens. Not the friendly kind either, the probing kind.

Not to mention the tower will keep us safe from Al Qaida.

How do you feel about that?

I think I'd rather have the tower than "the probing kind" or have al qaeda show up in my lovely city.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
As it turns out, you can't do whatever you want with your property whether you live in an HOA or not.
If the guy knew about the limitations when he moved in that's one thing. But if this is some new rule they're trying to stick on him after the fact I'd say he has a pretty good case.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM

188 posts, read 297,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the guy knew about the limitations when he moved in that's one thing. But if this is some new rule they're trying to stick on him after the fact I'd say he has a pretty good case.
My guess is that he'll keep them all except the 140 ft tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: