Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
Oddly enough, I remember Neal Boortz ranting on about Islam from time to time. Some of those rants being quite invidious. Last i checked Islam is a religion. Innit?

Boortz: Islam is a "deadly virus" and "we're going to wait far too long to develop a vaccine to find a way to fight this" | Video | Media Matters for America

"Anniversary" of 9/11. Really? | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com
Oh, yeah. He is no fan of the religion of Islam in its extremist form. But then neither are my in-laws, born secular Muslims in Tehran who saw their lives devastated by it.
They actually agree with Boortz's position.

Last edited by Iconographer; 10-07-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 AM

230 posts, read 492,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, yeah. He is no fan of the religion of Islam.
Exactly my point. He goes on about religion (and only one at that). He does not mention the IRA, Tamil Tigers, or the murders of Hindu priests by Christian missionaries in Orissa.

I stand by what I say. He is okay until he starts spewing hatred.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah. He is no fan of the religion of Islam in its extremist form. But then neither are my in-laws, born secular Muslims in Tehran who saw their lives devastated by it.
They actually agree with Boortz's position.
Your edit wasn't in my previous quote. I have lived in Saudi Arabia and the vast majority of the people are absolutely splendid. You cannot demonize 1 billion people by the actions of a small percentage of the population. My dad was almost killed by an IRA bomb, but he doesn't demonize Christians.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM

322 posts, read 465,209 times
Quote:
Your edit wasn't in my previous quote. I have lived in Saudi Arabia and the vast majority of the people are absolutely splendid. You cannot demonize 1 billion people by the actions of a small percentage of the population. My dad was almost killed by an IRA bomb, but he doesn't demonize Christians.

Yeah, that's like saying sean and rush represent all republicans. The problem is the radicals speak louder than the sane folks and the sane folks are never willing to shout down the idiots out of fear.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, sorry about the edition. Phone rang and I hadnt finished my thought. And Im not challenging what you say, having Muslims in my family that live a peaceful existence.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
Yeah, that's like saying sean and rush represent all republicans. The problem is the radicals speak louder than the sane folks and the sane folks are never willing to shout down the idiots out of fear.
Well said.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
Quote:
I know where you're going here, but I'm not sure that equivalence totally works. It's not like WSB or any network in this city is giving a regular daily megaphone to Islamic radicalists. (Nor should they.) But they regularly do so for American right-wing extremists. Limbaugh and Savage I would put more in that category than Hannity, who's more of a traditional/establishment Republican supporter (IMO).

Most of the time on-air, Boortz does clarify his stance on Islam, that he's against its radical versions. I just wish I heard him speak more consistently against religious extremism in this country. I do credit him for speaking out against how nutso some of the anti-abortion folks can get (like, clinic bomber types and single issue voting), as he's implicating some of the right wing from a genuinely libertarian perspective there.

I just don't happen to see much follow-through on some of the other major issues like same-sex marriage, which is largely lobbied against from fundamentalist Christians taking an anti-liberty stance. If Boortz's primary concern were truly about the tyranny of government--and not just about his own pocketbook--I'd expect to hear him more frequently (and as vociferously) call out the right wing on this stuff. (I just don't understand how he can vote for the current form of the Republican Party, whose platform isn't really libertarian.)

Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Of course. I tend to vote republican. The way I see it, is that during the primary season the candidates pander to the "grassroots" by moving way to the right. My personal belief is that regulation need to be cut and the budget tackled. The country is declining and some candidates and radio presenters are sometimes just stuck on issues such as gay marriage and contraception.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, sorry about the edition. Phone rang and I hadnt finished my thought. And Im not challenging what you say, having Muslims in my family that live a peaceful existence.
Np. And of course. My view is that it is to challenge certain actions, but when it crosses the line into hate that for me is unacceptable. That being said he has a right to say what he wants the say, and i respect that right.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there's plenty of hatred from the crackpot radicals in our "homegrown" religions here in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta