Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a visitor what struck me on my last visit to Atlanta were both the amount of trees and the wide freeways. The trees made Atlanta seem less urban than it probably is, but that was just my impression from the freeway. I'm sure that it would be different had I explored a little more. Plus living in an urban area and having it balanced with lots of trees can be considered a good thing anyway. I thought that the downtown skyline was impressive from a distance, but being in downtown much less so. The airport left no impression on me other than I thought that having a subway station in the airport was very cool.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Speaking as a visitor what struck me on my last visit to Atlanta were both the amount of trees and the wide freeways. The trees made Atlanta seem less urban than it probably is, but that was just my impression from the freeway. I'm sure that it would be different had I explored a little more. Plus living in an urban area and having it balanced with lots of trees can be considered a good thing anyway. I thought that the downtown skyline was impressive from a distance, but being in downtown much less so. The airport left no impression on me other than I thought that having a subway station in the airport was very cool.
Right...so you came with no preconceived notion about Atlanta and trees?

Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Maybe not in your circles, Mathman. That doesn't mean a lot of other people aren't up on the subject.
National Geographic likes to talk up any place. "City of Trees" is not on the lips of Americans everywhere when talking about Atlanta. And why does it say "surprisingly lush with trees"? Weren't they supposed to already know this?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I love how some people seem to think that their ignorance about Atlanta means that other people suffer from the same ignorance. Okay...you didn't know much about Atlanta and couldn't recognize the skyline - big deal. That doesn't necessarily mean that the general public shares your lack of knowledge. I mean, it's fine if you weren't very aware of Atlanta, but there is no need to project that onto others.

Well-traveled people are usually much more aware of major U.S. cities as are people who are generally interested in cities and urban issues.
I bet you $5 that most people outside of the south didn't know much of anything about Atlanta before the Olympics and that Atlanta has no skyline or landmarks that are widely know before the Olympics.

I am sure there are millions of people in this world who have never been to NYC but will notice its skyline, the Empire State Building, or the Statue of Liberty. They could just look at a picture of those things and know it's NYC. I never heard anyone talk about Atlanta with the exception of a few blacks who came here to go to HBCU's. Show the average person a picture of Atlanta's skyline outside of here and I bet you most people won't know what city it is.

You call me ignorant yet, you chose to ignore that I came to Atlanta two years before I moved here. I think it bothers you that I mention that no one I was ever around talked about Atlanta before the Olympics, and that when I did come here for three days back in 1995, there was nothing that stood out and I saw absolutely nothing recognizable. I have many relatives and friends who have come here to visit me from various parts of the country and the world. None of them were impressed or requested to see anything specific here except one friend who wanted to go to the Coca Cola museum. They either had no opinion of the city before coming, had thoughts of racism and lynching (which I cleared up that Atlanta isn't like that), or they came to see what all the hype was about, left unimpressed and never came back.

Again I'm not bashing Atlanta but it simply doesn't have a skyline that is known or stands out to people outside of here.

I did travel here yet you still called me ignorant. Brilliant.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I wonder why there aren't any plans to build new high rises downtown. All we need is maybe 7 more high rises to improve the look. Just my opinion after all I'm from Augusta.
There are a couple, but nothing major. Georgia State is building a new law school building which will be roughly 9 floors tall and adjacent to Woodruff Park. There is also a private developer proposing an 18-floor tall student housing facility for GSU students. Neither of these will make a dent in the skyline (they are both kind of tucked away around big buildings), but they should add to the density and vibrance of downtown on street level significantly (which might spur further development).

Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
National Geographic likes to talk up any place. "City of Trees" is not on the lips of Americans everywhere when talking about Atlanta. And why does it say "surprisingly lush with trees"? Weren't they supposed to already know this?
I guess all these folks are hallucinating.

Quote:
Fast Facts & Info

Geography and landscape: Atlanta is nicknamed "Hotlanta," in part due to its warm climate. Temperatures regularly climb into the 90s throughout the summer. The warm climate does have advantages. Visitors may be surprised to find a city that's lush and green, with small parks dotting the neighborhoods. Atlanta's answer to Central Park -- the 180-acre Piedmont Park in Midtown -- draws runners and those who want to enjoy the outdoors. It's little wonder Atlanta is called a "city among the trees."

TLC Family "How Atlanta Works: Atlanta City Guide"

Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I bet you $5 that most people outside of the south didn't know much of anything about Atlanta before the Olympics and that Atlanta has no skyline or landmarks that are widely know before the Olympics.
One thing you tend to learn with age is not to confuse the limits of your own knowledge with what other people know.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One thing you tend to learn with age is not to confuse the limits of your own knowledge with what other people know.
Perhaps. But what buildings or landmarks were most famous before the Olympics that you could show to anyone in America or the world that they would recognize as uniquely Atlanta just by looking at a picture of it?

I think maybe people would recognize MLK's burial site.

In the OP's pictures it could look like a large city but it doesn't have any famous buildings or stand out to people who have never been here. And on the ground level they look more like spread out clusters of buildings.

Though I do think the best view of downtown's skyline is traveling on I-20 east. It looks more dense coming from that direction...to me anyway.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post

I am sure there are millions of people in this world who have never been to NYC but will notice its skyline, the Empire State Building, or the Statue of Liberty. They could just look at a picture of those things and know it's NYC. I never heard anyone talk about Atlanta with the exception of a few blacks who came here to go to HBCU's. Show the average person a picture of Atlanta's skyline outside of here and I bet you most people won't know what city it is.

You call me ignorant yet, you chose to ignore that I came to Atlanta two years before I moved here. I think it bothers you that I mention that no one I was ever around talked about Atlanta before the Olympics, and that when I did come here for three days back in 1995, there was nothing that stood out and I saw absolutely nothing recognizable. I have many relatives and friends who have come here to visit me from various parts of the country and the world. None of them were impressed or requested to see anything specific here except one friend who wanted to go to the Coca Cola museum. They either had no opinion of the city before coming, had thoughts of racism and lynching (which I cleared up that Atlanta isn't like that), or they came to see what all the hype was about, left unimpressed and never came back.

Again I'm not bashing Atlanta but it simply doesn't have a skyline that is known or stands out to people outside of here.

I did travel here yet you still called me ignorant. Brilliant.
You truly seem to delight in your own ignorance, as well a that of your friends and family. Any well-read, educated, informed person would at least be aware of the things you are dismissing.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Alanta has regional and MAYBE national importance, but it does not have worldly importance other then hosting the 1996 Olympics.
And here we go again. The fact is, that Atlanta DOES .... And you are simply wrong.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-30-2012 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta