Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM

37 posts, read 76,299 times

Advertisements

Marta might be nice for anyone who lives in the city, but as someone in the Marietta suburbs... It's useless. I have to drive into the city to ride Marta. And if I'm driving there anyway, might as well drive straight to my destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane078 View Post
Marta might be nice for anyone who lives in the city, but as someone in the Marietta suburbs... It's useless. I have to drive into the city to ride Marta. And if I'm driving there anyway, might as well drive straight to my destination.
Well of course it's not convenient for those living in the Cobb County suburbs since it doesn't go there, although it is used quite a bit by Fulton and Dekalb suburbanites.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
These studies by Cobb County are pretty interesting. They seem to show a very strong interest in adding rail transit in Cobb.

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/ConnectC...inedSurvey.pdf

Quote:
Question:
Local officials are considering several possible ways to improve transportation back and forth
between Cobb County and the Arts Center MARTA station in the City of Atlanta. One way is
adding a new form of public transportation.

5. One option would be adding light rail transit, which means laying down tracks
for passenger trains that could run along highways and on streets between Cobb County and
the Arts Center MARTA station in Midtown Atlanta. Another possible option would be bus
rapid transit, which means adding lanes to highways that can be used by passenger buses
between Cobb County and the Arts Center MARTA station in Midtown Atlanta. If cost was
not a factor, which would you prefer to see in place: light rail transit, or bus transit?

Response:

Train–Much 57% ................................................... .................................................. ...........
Train–Somewhat 4% .................................................. .................................................. .....
Bus–Much 15% .................................................. .................................................. ...............
Bus–Somewhat 2% .................................................. .................................................. ........
Both (volunteered response) 7% .................................................. .............................................
Neither (volunteered response) 12% .................................................. ......................................
It depends (volunteered response) 3% .................................................. .....................................
Don’t know/Refused 0%

Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
MARTA did very well Sunday for the Falcons and Braves games. Trains ran on peak time schedules and where extended to 8 car lengths. They always do a good job of moving people after events and will not stop running until the stations are cleared, usually 1 hour.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM

26 posts, read 45,949 times
you marta fans love to spend your time and justify why its better than metro and/or other rail systems.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
you marta fans love to spend your time and justify why its better than metro and/or other rail systems.
Well it has killed a lot less people, is cleaner, and has AC on every car. It is not better than WMATA, but WMATA has double the mileage and gets 2 state funds.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 45,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
have you actually tried to do this? i had a situation where my card wasn't working and i went in directly behind my brother, the damn thing closes on you and it hurts, it's painful. there's no way to get through that thing.
I see it happen on a weekly basis.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
For all the negative attitudes directed toward this system and it's perceived lack of accountability and dependability, I say we all take a step back and appreciate the ONLY heavy rail system in the sunbelt and focus on ways to make it better for tomorrow.

I stumbled across this article today and although it's almost a month old, it's definitely a good read - Especially with how much MARTA is trashed when compared to other systems. I at least can say that I have never been stranded after a sporting event or concert that went a little late.

Does Metro close too early on weeknights? - Greater Greater Washington
Ever heard of Miami? We have a 25 mile heavy rail system also so Atlanta is not the only one in the sunbelt! In addition to a 4.8 mile downtown people mover & and a 74 mile commuter rail system called Tri-Rail.

As for Atlanta? Screw the suburban counties and focus on the two counties that fund MARTA.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Ever heard of Miami? We have a 25 mile heavy rail system also so Atlanta is not the only one in the sunbelt!
1 1/2 line is not a system, MARTA is the only true HRT system in the Sunbelt.
I have ridden MetroRail and it does not compare to MARTA.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA did very well Sunday for the Falcons and Braves games. Trains ran on peak time schedules and where extended to 8 car lengths. They always do a good job of moving people after events and will not stop running until the stations are cleared, usually 1 hour.
Good to hear they did a good job Sunday. But I think it is a bit of a stretch to say they ALWAYS do a good job. Spent way too much time waiting after concerts and Thrashers games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta