Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 29,232 times

Advertisements

it's not rocket science.

god made adam from dust.

god made eve from one of adam's ribs.

a talking snake tricked adam and eve into eating some fruit.

god got mad.

and it pretty much goes downhill from there.

also, there's no dinosaurs in the bible, so please don't ask about them.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,811,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowskee View Post
it's not rocket science.

god made adam from dust.

a talking snake tricked adam and eve into eating some fruit.

god got mad.

and it pretty much goes downhill from there.

also, there's no dinosaurs in the bible, so please don't ask about them.
Not necessarily. The OT uses the terms "behemoth" and "leviathan" along with "dragon" and "Sea-monsters." The word Dinosaur is a realtively recent invention as a word so of course it wouldn't be in the scriptures.

Scriptural Evidence: Dinos in the Bible | Genesis Park

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,245,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Not necessarily. The OT uses the terms "behemoth" and "leviathan" along with "dragon" and "Sea-monsters." The word Dinosaur is a realtively recent invention as a word so of course it wouldn't be in the scriptures.

Scriptural Evidence: Dinos in the Bible | Genesis Park
The bible was not written in english, so no, those words were not in there.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM

32,002 posts, read 36,627,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowskee View Post
god made adam from dust.

I thought the Bible said he made them both at the same time and they were both called Adam.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM

230 posts, read 491,373 times
Who really knows, and who can swear, How creation came, when or where! Even gods came after creation’s day, Who really knows, who can truly say When and how did creation start? Did He do it? Or did He not? Only He, up there, knows, maybe; Or perhaps, not even He. -(Rig Veda 10.129.1-7)

Stumbled upon this. Makes sense to me!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The bible was not written in english, so no, those words were not in there.
Duh. Let me expound to avoid the obvious comments. The words I listed are Englsih translations of the original Hebrew. The word Dinosaur (and all subsequent dinosaur names) have been coined since the 19th century based off of Latin. So, they aren't there in the Hebrew or in any translation into any other language that biblical texts are translated into.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I thought the Bible said he made them both at the same time and they were both called Adam.
Gen 2:7 is where Adam was created from the dust. Eve comes on the scene in the same chapter in verse 22. The Garden of Eden was created in between the verses and all the animals made from the dust in the intervening verses. Adam named the animals prior to Eve's arrival. No mention of a time frame between these two events, whether it was the same day or weeks or months or years between the two, but they are listed as two separate events.

That she was taken from Adam's rib leads to vs. 23 and 24 which have been quoted at thousands upon thousands of weddings:
"This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman
Because she was taken out of Man"

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife and the two shall become one flesh.
An interesting side note I had not noticed until looking this up, she is just called "the woman" and not Eve until Gen 3:20, after their fall and expulsion from the Garden of Eden.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, then you'd have a problem with Cain and Able (as if those two didn't have enough problems already). But, if the Earth is 6,000 years old, then perhaps cloning is, too.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Gen 2:7 is where Adam was created from the dust. Eve comes on the scene in the same chapter in verse 22. The Garden of Eden was created in between the verses and all the animals made from the dust in the intervening verses. Adam named the animals prior to Eve's arrival. No mention of a time frame between these two events, whether it was the same day or weeks or months or years between the two, but they are listed as two separate events.
Well, I was thinking of Gen 5:1, which talks about man and woman being created simultaneously and both being generically named Adam (or mankind):
"When God created mankind, he made them in the likeness of God. He created them male and female and blessed them. And he named them “Mankind” when they were created." [NIV]

"In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created." [KJV]

"When God created human beings, he made them to be like himself. He created them male and female, and he blessed them and called them 'human.'" [New Living Translation]

I think that's important because it shows that woman is of equal stature, and not merely something derivative.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, then you'd have a problem with Cain and Able (as if those two didn't have enough problems already).
Oh, I don't think so. In the Bible, Adam is the generic name for human beings, or mankind. See the verses from Genesis 5 I quoted above.

That's not to say there aren't a lot of inconsistencies in the Bible. Which I guess is why so many people interpret and apply it so many different ways. (Most of them thinking that their way is the only true way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta