Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I certainly wouldn't let people on this site help me make a decision as big as this one. If you want to trust what some anonymous people online have told you then fine, but I definitely don't recommend it. The budget issue is for real though...it would be hard to find a place to live here for that amount of money.

You can easily research the area for real information. Good luck.
Very true in return. I'm amazed that so many people put faith in what they read on C-D. Only about 50 percent of it --at best -- is reliable information. The rest is from bitter, angry people with an ax to grind or worse, those that just delight in spreading misery and insulting others.

The Internet can be an evil place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Funny how the Atl haters stay on our forums when they could be reading, doing hw with their kids, shopping, feeding the homeless, etc

Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
I don't think anyone on here has given the OP any negative information. If giving her truthful information that she is not going to be able to find a single family home in her price range for a family of six in an area that has the amenities (good schools, on transit, a 20 minute drive to the city) that she desires is negative, telling her that she can is being dishonest.

Instead of calling those being honest with her negative, post the information she is seeking if it exists.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
The neighborhood where she lives in sac is not good, but they would have to live in a similar neighborhood in ATL to meet their price requirements. CA also has the nations best community college system and the prices for residents are unreal; like $20 per credit. To put it in perspective I live in the no mans zone of unincorporated dekalb which abuts east atlanta village. My place has a large backyard, but is old and moldy and only has 2 bedrooms. This costs 1400 a month. This sort of housing deal can be found in almost any 2nd tier American city so the decision to move really boils down to whether or not you like Atlanta or not. They may or may not like it but as someone else pointed out, Californians have a hard time adjusting to ATL. Even for a bad area, they have a very good housing deal. If they moved to ATL and did not like it, their housing costs would triple if they wanted to move back.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I don't think anyone on here has given the OP any negative information. If giving her truthful information that she is not going to be able to find a single family home in her price range for a family of six in an area that has the amenities (good schools, on transit, a 20 minute drive to the city) that she desires is negative, telling her that she can is being dishonest.

Instead of calling those being honest with her negative, post the information she is seeking if it exists.
I assume you're responding to me, even if you decided not to quote the post you're responding to - I'm not sure why you didn't. Instead of just responding randomly, try responding to a specific post if that's your intention.

You might want to read what I said a little more carefully. I didn't say anything about information in this thread, but just that many people on this site give tainted information so I wouldn't make decisions based on what comes from here. Do you consult anonymous city-data members when making a life changing decision?

You might want to think about adjusting your sensitivity in relation to city-data. I didn't have you or anyone in particular in mind, but if the shoe fits...

Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I assume you're responding to me, even if you decided not to quote the post you're responding to - I'm not sure why you didn't. Instead of just responding randomly, try responding to a specific post if that's your intention.

You might want to read what I said a little more carefully. I didn't say anything about information in this thread, but just that many people on this site give tainted information so I wouldn't make decisions based on what comes from here. Do you consult anonymous city-data members when making a life changing decision?

You might want to think about adjusting your sensitivity in relation to city-data. I didn't have you or anyone in particular in mind, but if the shoe fits...

No I wasn't responding to you. If I was I would have quoted you and responded to you directly. I have nothing to hide. I'm sorry my posts bother you so much. Just stop reading my posts if you are going to take them so personally. You really need to get over yourself and relax.

The whole purpose of City-Data is to get information about areas they are considering from people who actually live in those places or have knowledge about them. I don't expect the OP to make a final decision based on my posts on anyone else. Ultimately she has to do the leg work and come to see for herself if the city offers what she is looking for.

Based on her criteria she will most likely not find what she is looking for in her price range. If she wants to move here she will have to cut down her list or sacrifice in certain respects. She will either have to move to the 'burbs or rent an apartment if she wants to live in a good neighborhood in the city.

At the end of the day she will have to come here and look around. I know haven't told her not come. If she decides not to come based on any of this information posted, that's on her.

You are aware that City-Data is a relocation forum, right?

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-07-2012 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM

To add, I tried looking up places that I thought would be suited to what the OP is looking for so I could send her the info and thing only thing I could find so far was 2 bedroom apartments for $1200.

The reason I speak on this topic the way I do is because I was seeking the same as the OP in housing and schooling options and found that the only option was to rent a small apartment in-town (I was considering buying at one point). But I only have one child. It's going to be much harder for a married couple with two or more children who want these amenities on a limited budget.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
really use full tips, its really solve my problem also, appreciated

Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
For 1000-1500, the op should be able to find something north of 285 north... dunwoody, norcross, woodstock, marrietaa, roswell etc... She is expecting too much at the 750-1000 for any fairly large metro area.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
No I wasn't responding to you. If I was I would have quoted you and responded to you directly. I have nothing to hide. I'm sorry my posts bother you so much. Just stop reading my posts if you are going to take them so personally. You really need to get over yourself and relax.

The whole purpose of City-Data is to get information about areas they are considering from people who actually live in those places or have knowledge about them. I don't expect the OP to make a final decision based on my posts on anyone else. Ultimately she has to do the leg work and come to see for herself if the city offers what she is looking for.

Based on her criteria she will most likely not find what she is looking for in her price range. If she wants to move here she will have to cut down her list or sacrifice in certain respects. She will either have to move to the 'burbs or rent an apartment if she wants to live in a good neighborhood in the city.

At the end of the day she will have to come here and look around. I know haven't told her not come. If she decides not to come based on any of this information posted, that's on her.

You are aware that City-Data is a relocation forum, right?
Yes, I'm aware of more than you think I am.

Do you honestly think that YOU are the one to give someone objective information concerning moving to Atlanta? I would hate for anyone to think that you represent people here with your unhappy, angry stance about the city. Keep posting your nonsense and the rest of us will keep posting counterpoints, because people seeking advice need honesty and objectivity - not responses colored by a personal hatred toward the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta