Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 PM

8 posts, read 18,938 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have become very tired of the quality of life we have in Orange County and are considering moving to maybe the Johns Creek area of Atlanta. We have hit the point where our expenses (with three children) are barely sustainable, we have had to pull down our contributions to our retirement accounts to nearly nothing and still have no disposable income. We want to be able to have a cushion for our family and to be able to take a couple of family vacations throughout the year. We are considering Atlanta because I have a lot of family there and we both like the area. I am also extremely tired of the California attitude with so many people acting so superior to everyone else and another large group just being completely complacent about everything. I would like to live somewhere where people have manners and where a door may actually be held open for me when I am trying to get in a building with all three of my young kids. We want seasons, we think that California is highly overrated, and we are conservatives living in a perpetually blue state.

My husband's job can be done from anywhere in the county and his salary in Atlanta would be about 110,000. Going up each year. Our 1900 square foot house here is worth around 500,000 although we are planning to only break even when selling it after reltor fees. We would like to buy something there eventually around 350,000 so we didn't feel like we were using every last penny on our mortgage. I've done some research online and it looks like cost of living in the Atlanta area is much less than here, is there anyone on here that can confirm that from experience? I know prices have been jumping everywhere, but here we are spending 4.80 on a gallon of gas right now and all of our groceries have gone up by about 30% just in the last year.

Also the schools here are atrocious, my older daughter is a first grader in a class with 35 kids. And this is in a good school district in a school that has won all sorts of awards. There are no athletics tied to the schools here until high school and no funding for arts at all. My daughter was also selected to be put in a K-1 combo class this year because there were too many 1st graders and kindergarteners and the school didn't have the money to hire another teacher for each grade. They picked out the best students so the 1st graders could work independently while the teacher taught the kindergarten lessons. Does the Georgia school system work this way as well, or is it a California thing? Private school here isn't an option as the schools in our area range in yearly tuition from $20,000 to $30,000.

What do you all see as the cons of the Atlanta suburbs vs. suburbs elsewhere? I'm not really interested in cons vs. city living as I'm past that point in my life. I have read that the traffic is an issue, DH will be working inside the freeway loop but in the northeast side, and right now he is commuting back and forth from LA on a regular basis which is beyond painful.

Also, how are the athletic programs in the area of Atlanta that I am considering? Athletics are a big thing for our family.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,996,781 times
Most people who move here from California end up wanting to move back because I guess there are a lot of areas where Atlanta just can't compete.

However, if you are that sick of Orange county, Johns Creek is probably a great choice. You should be able to find a more than decent house for $350k. I assume you have a fair amount of equity from your old house, though, because financially speaking, $110k a year is really pushing it for a $350k house, unless you have significant money to put down.

You'll find all the things you say you are looking for, you just have to ask yourself if you really want these things or you are just saying it out of frustration.

Other areas to consider would be Alpharetta and Milton.

People here will hold the door for you (not everybody will, but it will happen sometimes), you will get seasons, gas is around $3.60 per gallon, and I'm not sure about food but I imagine you will find cheaper prices. Johns Creek and the areas I mentioned mirror Orange county in terms of demographics and overall appeal, but understand there are certain things that you're just not going to find, like proximity to the beach and probably not quite as many shopping options. Short of that, you're looking in the right places.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,620,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelW15 View Post
My husband and I have become very tired of the quality of life we have in Orange County and are considering moving to maybe the Johns Creek area of Atlanta. We have hit the point where our expenses (with three children) are barely sustainable, we have had to pull down our contributions to our retirement accounts to nearly nothing and still have no disposable income. We want to be able to have a cushion for our family and to be able to take a couple of family vacations throughout the year. We are considering Atlanta because I have a lot of family there and we both like the area. I am also extremely tired of the California attitude with so many people acting so superior to everyone else and another large group just being completely complacent about everything. I would like to live somewhere where people have manners and where a door may actually be held open for me when I am trying to get in a building with all three of my young kids. We want seasons, we think that California is highly overrated, and we are conservatives living in a perpetually blue state.

My husband's job can be done from anywhere in the county and his salary in Atlanta would be about 110,000. Going up each year. Our 1900 square foot house here is worth around 500,000 although we are planning to only break even when selling it after reltor fees. We would like to buy something there eventually around 350,000 so we didn't feel like we were using every last penny on our mortgage. I've done some research online and it looks like cost of living in the Atlanta area is much less than here, is there anyone on here that can confirm that from experience? I know prices have been jumping everywhere, but here we are spending 4.80 on a gallon of gas right now and all of our groceries have gone up by about 30% just in the last year.

Also the schools here are atrocious, my older daughter is a first grader in a class with 35 kids. And this is in a good school district in a school that has won all sorts of awards. There are no athletics tied to the schools here until high school and no funding for arts at all. My daughter was also selected to be put in a K-1 combo class this year because there were too many 1st graders and kindergarteners and the school didn't have the money to hire another teacher for each grade. They picked out the best students so the 1st graders could work independently while the teacher taught the kindergarten lessons. Does the Georgia school system work this way as well, or is it a California thing? Private school here isn't an option as the schools in our area range in yearly tuition from $20,000 to $30,000.

What do you all see as the cons of the Atlanta suburbs vs. suburbs elsewhere? I'm not really interested in cons vs. city living as I'm past that point in my life. I have read that the traffic is an issue, DH will be working inside the freeway loop but in the northeast side, and right now he is commuting back and forth from LA on a regular basis which is beyond painful.

Also, how are the athletic programs in the area of Atlanta that I am considering? Athletics are a big thing for our family.

Thanks in Advance!
Can you be a bit more specific about where on the Northeast side?

When you say "the area of Atlanta that I am considering" what area are you considering? I don't see anything like that in your post.

GA is broke, but not quite as broke as California. Class sizes are larger than than they use to be, but nowhere close to what you give as an example. (Though 27 is not unheard of.) Fulton County seems to be improving financially as does Cobb County. Avoid DeKalb County at all costs.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,995,871 times
Most of the people who move to Atlanta from California stay because we are not a community property state, no lifetime alimony here, lower taxes, better quality of life here, no threat of earthquakes, we are near more important cities, the region's cost of living is cheaper, our rail system is better, etc

Old 10-07-2012, 04:21 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,755,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Most people who move here from California end up wanting to move back because I guess there are a lot of areas where Atlanta just can't compete.
I don't find this to be true. I do find there is an east coast vs. west coast mentality - where east coasters living in the west can't wait to go back and vice versa. But this has more to do with proximity to friends and family. Traveling across country is just painful to do on a frequent basis.

Outdoor activities can also be quite different on the two coasts, so this can drive satisfaction. If you love surfing, you will rarely be satisified on the east coast.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Thanks to all of you for the input, being away from the beach really isn't going to be an issue for us. While we go sometimes in the summer, I find it more stressfull than fun. My entire focus in life is my kids, I am not a typical go out and surf in the morning and then snowboard in the afternoon Californian. I only live here because it's where my family used to be (they've all moved away) and for a few years we were unable to transfer through work. We need a change, California may seem glamorous to some, but we have been dealing with the negative aspects of the state for so long that for us they far outweigh what everyone else seems to think are amazing positives.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM

What part of Atlanta is the job in?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM

418 posts, read 903,912 times
OP's hubby can work anywhere. Question is, will he need access to airport? John's Creek is a good 1-hr from ATL w/o traffice. You'll find John's Creek is probably like living in the newer part of Orange County, like Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, etc.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM

May go to offices in Atlanta zip codes 30308, 30345 or 30341 or Decatur.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM

I would recommend you look at Peachtree Corners, specifically Simpson Elementary school district. You can also consider the Johns Creek High School district and perhaps parts of the Northview district as well. You should look for something that isn't impossible to get to I-85 from. Consider answering the questions below to get better guidance from us.
Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta